Please help this Steelhead rookie.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Casty McTangles
Angler

Please help this Steelhead rookie.

Post by Casty McTangles » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:46 pm

I just started fishing the local rivers recently and have had some success. I am pretty much self taught with some advice from local anglers. I have had luck with Coho, Kings, and of course Humpys. I probably could have caught the humpys just as easily with my bare hands. Now its time to try for my ultimate goal...Steelies. Problem is I don't have a clue what works best. Corky and yarn, Bobber and jig, two hooks or one, 9mm or .45. I will most likely start my great quest on the Green river since its close to home. Any advice from you experienced types out there would be greatly appreciated. With a little help I might actually catch one, or at least greatly improve my odds. I've been told throwing rocks at them doesn't work.

crouchnathan
Angler

RE:Please help this Steelhead rookie.

Post by crouchnathan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 pm

I am actually doin the same thing you are, just started river fishing this year, and actually on the Green as well. I have been rockin the jig under a float with a little scent on the jig when its got a place to put it. I have had a few takedowns and one hookup on that set-up, but haven't landed one yet. I have seen several plunkers with fish on the shore at the Green, and have seen a few caught on the jig/ float set-up there, too.

Here's a site that has several methods laid out pretty easy to understand-

http://www.steelheader.net/home/default.shtml

Here's a site showing some good spots to fish on the Green-

http://mrriver.com/green.html

Here is a river report site to check conditions-

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/nwfishing/riverreports.html

Good luck man,

Nate

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:48 pm

I am not a steelie expert but the best thing to do is try everything, until you find something that works. Not everything works for every hole on the same river.

a great site to get you going is http://www.steelheaduniversity.com

sorry I don't have more info for you but the sites above and the one I listed should help.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 pm

there are a lot of recent post on this topic... Look into the archives aprox 1 month and you'll find lots!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

swayner23
Petty Officer

Post by swayner23 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 am

I just started to get back into fishing since August and have been trying the Green River here and there also. I live in Seattle so the Green is local. I've went a few times for humps and silvers but no luck yet. A Steelie would be sweet! Just wanted to post to keep in the loop and see what advice anyone had to add. Thanks!
fish on!

Casty McTangles
Angler

Post by Casty McTangles » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks guys, especially you Nate. I'm going to check out those Websites. What kind of Jig works well on the Green. I will probably fish up around the flaming geyser area. Somebody told me pink worms work pretty well but I think he was fishing the Sky. Sandshrimp? Roe? Argh, guess I just need to get off my ass and start trying everything until I find something that works. I haven't checked out the river yet but I am guessing it probably looks like crap with the weather we have had lately.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

There's no one method that will work better than any other. They've all been proven to be deadly on the water. Corkies, sandshrimp, roe, jigs, pink worms, I'm sure everyone will chime in and tell you they've caught fish on all of them. I'd just play around with it depending on water conditions.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:45 pm

ckim85 wrote:There's no one method that will work better than any other. They've all been proven to be deadly on the water. Corkies, sandshrimp, roe, jigs, pink worms, I'm sure everyone will chime in and tell you they've caught fish on all of them. I'd just play around with it depending on water conditions.
I haven't caught fish on all of them....or any of them.....:jocolor:

....but I've only tried once.

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm

If your going to fish the green the easy way to pull some steel out of it is to use either jig and bobber with prawn or chrome or bronz spoons, pretty cut and dry but those two are the training wheels for green river steel basicly.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:10 pm

jig and float takes more steelhead
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 pm

float and eggs on the green, not a big blob of eggs just a little.

crouchnathan
Angler

Post by crouchnathan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Casty McTangles wrote:Thanks guys, especially you Nate. I'm going to check out those Websites. What kind of Jig works well on the Green. I will probably fish up around the flaming geyser area. Somebody told me pink worms work pretty well but I think he was fishing the Sky. Sandshrimp? Roe? Argh, guess I just need to get off my ass and start trying everything until I find something that works. I haven't checked out the river yet but I am guessing it probably looks like crap with the weather we have had lately.

I think that most guys just work a technique they like to try to get good at it, and then perfect it based on results. So pick one or two and go for it! I have been using the float/ jig cause it's pretty easy - just use a braid, cause it floats, and don't let the float drag the jig, or the line drag them both- keep it drag free. The tough part about steelhead from what I have seen so far, is that the fish are more few and far between, especially for a begginner, so it's hard to tell if what you are doing is right/ wrong. I have never gone so long without a fish fishing for anything else- hopefully that ends soon! Maybe I will see ya up on the green!

-Re: Jig - I have seen guys using just about anything pink or pinkish - lots of good press on one design called a 'nightmare' lately

-Re: river level -pretty high- take a look at the river report site

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:04 am

crouchnathan wrote:
Casty McTangles wrote:Thanks guys, especially you Nate. I'm going to check out those Websites. What kind of Jig works well on the Green. I will probably fish up around the flaming geyser area. Somebody told me pink worms work pretty well but I think he was fishing the Sky. Sandshrimp? Roe? Argh, guess I just need to get off my ass and start trying everything until I find something that works. I haven't checked out the river yet but I am guessing it probably looks like crap with the weather we have had lately.

I think that most guys just work a technique they like to try to get good at it, and then perfect it based on results. So pick one or two and go for it! I have been using the float/ jig cause it's pretty easy - just use a braid, cause it floats, and don't let the float drag the jig, or the line drag them both- keep it drag free. The tough part about steelhead from what I have seen so far, is that the fish are more few and far between, especially for a begginner, so it's hard to tell if what you are doing is right/ wrong. I have never gone so long without a fish fishing for anything else- hopefully that ends soon! Maybe I will see ya up on the green!

-Re: Jig - I have seen guys using just about anything pink or pinkish - lots of good press on one design called a 'nightmare' lately

-Re: river level -pretty high- take a look at the river report site
Be careful with the braided line when combat fishing. I personally don't mind when someones next to me fishing braid, but I've seen plenty of guys getting upset fishing it in a combat zone. Everyone's worried about lines getting caught up with each other and who's lines going to get cut. I think if everyone is considerate and not drifting across 10 guys down stream, getting tangled up with others lines won't happen. Just a warning, I can see how braided line helps when float fishing. I personally prefer just mono on the main line with fluoro as the leader, it floats (definitely not as much as braided), biggest thing it's a lot cheaper.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am

Ive started fishing braid this year. I have only gotten tangled with someone else twice. Neither time was my fault and both was at the same place. First one was a fish on and guys didnt reel in. The second I cast out and some fly fisherman starts flippin right next to me and crossed my line. He wanted to cut my line because i fish flies I cant cut my line. I gave him a lil cut my line and see what happens. Needless to say he got it untied eventually. I dont mind waiting to get things untied. The cool thing about the braid is even if it gets knotted up, theres no line memory. It lays flat again. No kinks at all.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Understanding casting order is something I wish all beginners learn before they venture out. I took this from a website:

"On this or any river that has the potential of many fisherpersons sharing the river bank, to keep from getting tangled with your neighbor, if you are all strung out along the bank, the lower person casts first, with the next person upstream following. The farthest one upstream in the row will be the last to cast. If you miss your turn because you are re-baiting or attending your gear, tough. You have to wait until the rotation comes around to you again.

If someone gets a fish on, then the others may have to pull their lines in or allow the fisherman with the fish on to negotiate over or under their line to create less a chance to tangle the fish & possible lose it for the fisherman. If it is a large fish, head downriver to where you can being it to shore in calmer water. When it comes your turn with a fish on, they will do the same for you."

I see this not happening ALL THE TIME and it frustrates me to no end. And please, if you see everyone else fishing from the same distance away from the river, don't go in the river ahead of everyone else, you will ruin everyone's drift.

Hope to see you out there sometime..
"One more......."

DoubleR
Petty Officer

Post by DoubleR » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Some things I've learned lately:

Try both float & jig, and drift fishing - I take two rods. I caught my steelie on the Green when I switched to drift fishing, after working the same area float fishing all day.

Mono is a lot more forgiving than braid. But I like braid better - I even use it on my baitcaster, but I'm not sure I recommend it. I like the feedback I get from braid, and the smaller diameter for casting. But everyone thinks I'm crazy, and I do get some nasty birds nests. Its not for beginners on a baitcaster. I also use a long, light rod to make up for the lack of stretch.

When that big steelie jumps out of the water, remember to "bow to the fish" (drop your rod tip) if you're using light leader. My natural reaction is to jerk the line back to take up the slack. I've only really need to do this a couple times - I hate of having slack in the line, but I'm told that that fish will easily break your line if you jerk it tight.

Casty McTangles
Angler

Post by Casty McTangles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks for all of the good advice. "Bow to the fish"? Never heard that before, it makes sense but it sure seems counter-intuitive. As for River etiquette, I understand Jen's point but I have to say that he sounds a bit militant. Are you one of those guys who scream obsenitys at the new guy? I hope not, I almost put my fist through the back of a dudes head my first day because of his rude behaviour. Fortunately there was a fellow there who I ran into on numerous occasions that was very helpful in such matters. My pet peeve is the dickwad on the other side of the river that casts clear across the river so that his rig is drifting six feet in front of me. If you want to fish my side of the river, get your ass over to the side of the river you want to fish. I never once tangled lines with guys on the same side of the river but did numerous time with anglers fishing from the opposite bank. I guess it just boils down to common sense, and having a good time. Show some respect and for gods sake lighten up. We're fishing, not running a combat patrol in hostile territory.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I don't know if I've become less tolerant or if the folks doing the fishing these days are less courteous, I just don't enjoy it like I used to. I now only go during weekdays and/or head for out of the way places to do my river fishing. If you are new to this, avoid the crowds and find a stretch of river to practice your casting techniques and get a feel of how the gear works in the water. Once you feel confident in your abilities, join the masses at the popular holes and follow their lead. And please don't go into a crowd and switch fishing styles, follow what the majority are doing. That is to say if folks are plunking an area don't drift corkies or float a jig, it is a sure way to become very unpopular.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Casty McTangles wrote:Thanks for all of the good advice. "Bow to the fish"? Never heard that before, it makes sense but it sure seems counter-intuitive. As for River etiquette, I understand Jen's point but I have to say that he sounds a bit militant. Are you one of those guys who scream obsenitys at the new guy? I hope not, I almost put my fist through the back of a dudes head my first day because of his rude behaviour. Fortunately there was a fellow there who I ran into on numerous occasions that was very helpful in such matters. My pet peeve is the dickwad on the other side of the river that casts clear across the river so that his rig is drifting six feet in front of me. If you want to fish my side of the river, get your ass over to the side of the river you want to fish. I never once tangled lines with guys on the same side of the river but did numerous time with anglers fishing from the opposite bank. I guess it just boils down to common sense, and having a good time. Show some respect and for gods sake lighten up. We're fishing, not running a combat patrol in hostile territory.
Militant? LOL far from it. Do I yell? Well maybe at my friend Kinghunter when he continues to fish while I am reeling in a fish and casts over my line. I am courteous and helpful. I didn't write what I put down, I copied and pasted it from something I read about on the Cowlitz. It's the basic casting order that someone advised to me when I made my way down at Barrier Dam for the first time this year. I didn't have a clue. But this old timer took me aside after tangling up with people below me, above me, he had enough. "Cast after the guy below you downriver casts," he said to me. It works wonders when everyone does it.

I guess if you aren't willing to follow a casting order, then best of luck to you then. When everyone is crowded and it is elbow to elbow all trying to accomplish the same thing ie: catch fish, then it only takes one cast out of order to mess up everyones lines and keeps your line out of the water where it should be.
"One more......."

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Best rig to use in my opinion to get into your first steel is jig and bobber by far, you stay in the strike zone a lot longer and with some uncooked/cured prawn its gonna get slammed by steel, also a great method for the green in my opinion is spoons and some times spinners but mainly spoons though, try copper and silver spoons and you should have some hatchery brats in no time. good luck and i hope you catch some.

Fish on :Chum77