Anyone use a

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Primevci
Petty Officer

Anyone use a

Post by Primevci » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:48 am

pflueger trion baticaster for salmon and steelhead fishing if so how do you liek it and what kinda line you loaded up with on it?

islandbass
Commander

RE:Anyone use a

Post by islandbass » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 am

It is a solid reel and I have used mine against chum.

It is comparable to the older Curado B (the older green reel) in terms of performance. However, its only flaw IMHO, and I love mine, is this...

Without some serious fine tuning, its casting limitations become apparent when trying to cast items that are less than 1/4 oz with say, line like 12# mono.

This is its only weakness. It is the only place where my curados trump the trion for out of the box performance. A curado easily handles 1/4 oz even with 12# mono.

It is definitely salmon worthy. I've never caught a steelie, but I imagine the Trion will fare well.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:31 am

Be careful with the flueger reels around salt water. Every fluger I have ever owned didnt make it past the first salt water trip, or brackish water trip. I rinse all my reels with warm water (to break down the salt composites, warm tap water works way better than hose water) ASAP after every salt/brackish water fishing trip and the fluegers still dint hold up. Great reels for fresh water, but a liitle over priced in my opinion

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 am

gpc wrote:Be careful with the flueger reels around salt water. Every fluger I have ever owned didnt make it past the first salt water trip, or brackish water trip. I rinse all my reels with warm water (to break down the salt composites, warm tap water works way better than hose water) ASAP after every salt/brackish water fishing trip and the fluegers still dint hold up. Great reels for fresh water, but a liitle over priced in my opinion
You are absolutely correct. I recall seeing somewhere maybe the box or catalog it stated that their reels weren't rated for saltwater.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 pm

I have a trion low profile. works just fine for steelhead. my favorite reel actually.

Go to Ebay and look for deals. You might get lucky and get a new one for 50-60 bucks