Flossing or Not

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bionic_one
Captain

RE:Flossing or Not

Post by bionic_one » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:17 pm

2 things:

1. What actual PROOF does anyone have that salmon don't eat once they are in the river?

2. I like to use blue or black corkies and black and red yarn on a ~5' leader. I catch a few. My girlfriend stands right beside me and uses the same length leader with orange coorkie and orange yarn and sprays her yarn religiously with Gulp Alive Shrimp Scent. She catches twice as many as I do.

She must be flossing huh?

My girlfriend generally makes all the leaders, so they are all the same length (one and a half of her arm's length, minus the length of line it took to tie the know)... and she ties them because she has more free time than I do if you're wondering.

OMG WHY DO YOU USE SUCH A LONG LEADER???!!!! - because I like my corkie to be higher off the bottom, salmon can see UP better than they can see down. If your presentation isn't off the bottom, you're not going to get as many fish.

The idea that a person "pulls the line through the fish's mouth" is absurd. I've seen plenty of foul-hooked fish, but I RARELY see anything hooked from the outside of the mouth. A fish could feel a line being pulled through its mouth before this infamous "WHAMO" style hookset occured anyway.

The only time I see a fish hooked from the outside of the mouth is when I'm trolling from a powered vessel, in which case, I'm not actually snagging - the fish just bit the lure, and the hook got him from the side because the hook isn't ON the lure, it's behind it.

Bottom Line: If using a long leader was snagging, there would be a limit on leader length.
Lee

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:54 pm

I thought it was common knowladge that Salmon don't eat for nourishment in Fresh Water?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:44 pm

I am tired of the particular thread. Anyone with me
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Really, its been talked to death and most folks aren't going to change their minds after reading any more posts. It's like the trolling for bass thread, it's legal, get over it, move on. Unless your the kind of person who likes to antagonize others, then feel free to get in a few more jabs. :salut:

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:56 pm

A9 wrote:
G-Man wrote: Anti-flossers get over yourselves and give it the recognition it deserves, a good technique that solves lock-jaw.
Drift fishing can be done and can be effective, minus flossing. You can only keep fish that are hooked INSIDE the mouth, flossing leads to a lot of hooks set outside the mouth or elsewhere on the body, which means you can't keep them.

Here is the true rule if you ever care to read your reg book found on page 24 of the pdf version.. i dont snag i drift fish...

In freshwater,
it is illegal to possess any fish hooked
anywhere other than inside the mouth or on
the head.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:04 pm

the debate isn't around how to define snagging. everyone here knows what snagging is and most people on this forum religiously read the reg book.
But the lines get blurry with the whole "flossing debate." the debate is that despite hooking IN the mouth, the nature of the method of flossing can border on snagging because the hook is unintentionally hooked in the mouth.

My personal opinion? Go by the books - if its hooked in the mouth, then it is what it is regardless of how the hook landed in the fish's mouth. Anyone care to interview the fish and ask how the hook landed in its mouth?