Looking for places to fish for salmon with a drift boat.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dustpan
Petty Officer

Looking for places to fish for salmon with a drift boat.

Post by dustpan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 am

My dad and I just got a drift boat a few weeks ago, and we are dying to use it. He has a ton of drift boat experience, but he hasn't used his experience in about 25 years. Please don't direct me to a river that is going to scare the piss out of us. We want to target salmon, we really need the eggs for steelhead (and the meat for the bbq). I live in Puyallup, and my dad lives in Shelton. We would rather not drive more than 40 miles north of Puyallup, but West and south of are ok.
We just drove to the Wynoochee river yesterday, but they are closed to salmon till oct 1. It didn't look like any salmon were in on the Wynoochee anyways, we did see a few summer steelies however. The water was extremely low on the Wynoochee.
We've also checked out the skokomish river, and the water is too low to use our drift boat. Can you please help us find a spot to use our drift boat. We really would like to go out next Saturday. Thanks in advance!

dubplate
Petty Officer

RE:Looking for places to fish for salmon with a drift boat.

Post by dubplate » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:42 am

I'd go down to the cowlitz right now. Kings, silvers and steelies are in.
insert sig here:

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:49 pm

dubplate wrote:I'd go down to the cowlitz right now. Kings, silvers and steelies are in.
Ya that is where I would go....
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Just like they said, the Cowlitz is good right now. There's alot of kings and coho in right now. I fished at the mouth of the Toutle River the other day and there were alot of hookups within that hole from the shore.