tactics for river kings

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
curado
Admiral

tactics for river kings

Post by curado » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:56 pm

tactics that work for me. is to bring more than one bait and that has paid off alot. fish early morning and late afternoon. line 12# to 15# treasure z for mainline,leader runs from 10# to 15# maxima flourocarbon depending on mainline, 10# leader for 12# mainline and 12# leader for 15# mainline depends on you. fish bigger size baits and plugs and lures. fish harware in slow pools, retrive it slow but fast enough for action. i prefer RVR FSHR spoons in 50/50. spinners blue fox,mepsin blues, blacks, reds, chartruce finishes. medium to heavy power rods. learn seams and tailouts that might hold summer-run metal along with kings. fish slower water, kings dont like super fast currents but dont hesitate to throw in to them. watch river flows and count at hatcheries. READ YOUR REGS . dont fish in combat fishing zones... elbow to elbow is a waste of time and effort.if you cannot tell a bite or bump from the bottom set the hook anyways. :cheers: :viking::thumright :thumleft: Use big and small corkies in flame reds, bright greens, blacks and anything in you box to entice them in to crushing it. Make sure to cover all the holes, seams, eddies, points and tailouts. in that section of that river you are on.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

matador
Petty Officer

RE:tactics for river kings

Post by matador » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:29 pm

do you have any tips for catching springers in the Skykomish?

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Back troll wrapped, brined = Kwickfish down/wrapped with magic thread into them loosing a few feet a MINUTE

You Must have talent on the sticks :-$

SUPER MAGNUM Wiggle warts as well the Sky Loves the (Blue pirate King or metal) :-$ :cheers:

Bait divers another option with sweet candy roe and longer slower deeper tail outs matched with the proper spin and glow and bead:-$

Float fish just off the bottom straight roe and red colored gamas:-$ :chef: :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:01 pm

Swede - do you think hatchery kings have a color preference?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 pm

CANDY ROE AND SCENT :-$ were up against nature and some color/silt in many systems this year= longer this summer late/hotter fair snow packs but when it gets gin clear and slower flows differnt games but they will be Boots:-$ :-# by then and Coho and Stinks:colors: :clown: will be the game not Kings:cheers: :chef:

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:43 pm

They are not Feeding zero!!! One thing after fresh water holy waters and spawn!!!!

PISS them off:-$ get a productive goodie in front of them find a Buck with a Hen even better= fish on!!!!

They strike at times but feed zero once they hit the fresh waters !!!!:-$ :cheers: :chef:

Scent away the Combo plate your batting 0-1000 :bounce: :cyclopsan it cannot get any better then that:bom: :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm

These are hatchery fish so would krill scent be best since they were raised on fish food? I know they aren't eating but would the familiarity be a plus?

I'm thinking about bouncing a spin-n-glo with candied roe, yarn, and some krill scent, see if I can keep the skunk streak going.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:44 am

Even with the high off color water last week there were big kings jumping all over the place in the lower Skagit river. We even considered taking the hooks off of a few plugs and doing some exploratory "tackle testing" and fish for knock-downs. But after a thorough review of the regs I was unsure if this would be legal. Although fishing without hooks is not specifically prohibited I decided not to chance a fine or gear seizure. We'll just have to wait another few weeks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:03 am

Jumping fish in most cases in a river are not taking fish:-$ :-# that process happens when they are in the acclimation from salt to fresh and stinks I mean pinks:colors: :clown: worse move into a more progressive seam and zone:cheers: :chef:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:20 pm

like swede said piss them off. fish larger darker or brighter. spinners,spoons large clusters of candy roe
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

joshscot
Angler

Post by joshscot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:51 am

I am gonna hit the Skykomish Saturday or Sunday. Any ideas on gear or hot spots? Never fished the river before and mostly just a trout fisherman. Looking to widen my variety with fishing.

Thanks

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:36 am

Wallace flats:-$ or above and you see a mess of goofs press farther!!!!:cheers:

The Jungle:-$ would be a good starting spot could you find it probably not just up from the Wallace Skykomish area:-$

Fish just above or below were the Wallace river meets the Sky :-$ there should be some Kingers on the run with the recent rains! :chef: :bounce: :cheers:

Candy cane roe:chef: :-$

joshscot
Angler

Post by joshscot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry but what is a mess of goofs press? Any lure ideas at all? Thanks a lot too!!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 am

:thumright :sunny: MORONS :-# REGULAR ANGLERS WITHOUT A CLUE OR GAME!!!:-$ :cheers:

I GAVE YOU THE BEST ROE/EGGS!!!!

Higher up in the system you earn it:-$](*,) :viking: and less GOOFS!=d>

There is a smaller group of wild kings:colors: :clown: that makes Lama love hole area= 2 plus mile hike in and the summer run metalheads love IT as well:-$ :cheers: :chef: !

Shrimp, Roe or Crawlers for them and smaller approach:-$[-x
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

joshscot
Angler

Post by joshscot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am

Yeah I am new. Your right. Doesnt the Wallace come in above Startup? I was thinking down towards Monroe.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:13 am

Just below Lewis street:-$ you have a chance:clown: in the lower longer seam :-$ just a 1.5 miles max outside Monroe
Fish the far bank side and you need good chest waders :-$ and felt wading boots:-$ !!!

Finish each cast work the 1st 10 feet out and gain 3 to 4 feet per cast:-$ cover the entire zone :-$ and tail outs!:chef: :bounce: :cheers:

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 am

Heading into the town of Monroe heading East on Highway 2 :-$ take a right at Lewis street:-$ go about 2 miles cross the Bridge:-$ and the Sky:-$ park just past the bridge:-$ and hike downriver to the last longer tailout BANG THAT!!!:chef: :-$ :viking: ](*,)

Remember you park anywhere on local rivers the meth:batman: heads are coming sad but true and the more remote the more the madness/20 percent in some locations rigs daily are being CREAMED!!![-( [-x

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 am

:chef: :bounce:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

joshscot
Angler

Post by joshscot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the info. So cars and trucks are being broken into? Sounds bad. I will take the advice. So steelhead and Kings are being caught there?

Thanks again

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:35 am

All systems lean on caught:-$ :-# and high on pressure:colors: :cheers: and all hiking area parking spots = boat launches for 10 plus years:thumbdown open Targets for the Meth dreads and worse each season it grows larger as more choose cheap fast crime[-( [-x

Fish on!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.