catfishing

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
joshswrench
Petty Officer

catfishing

Post by joshswrench » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:15 pm

Anyone know of any good cat rivers or lakes on the west side of the state besides the Columbia?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tight lines, JG

bustin
Warrant Officer

RE:catfishing

Post by bustin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:10 am

In Vancouver Klinline Ponds I have seen some very large Catfish caught from the ponds.

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 am

Kress Lake in Cowlitz County and Swofford Pond in Lewis county are both managed for multiple species that include catfish... (e.g. WDFW actually plants channel cats in these lakes for your sport fishing pleasure)

There are supposedly some really big ones in Swofford.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

trout
Petty Officer

Post by trout » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:53 pm

how bout in north central washington.

trout
Petty Officer

Post by trout » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:53 pm

i mean rivers to catfish in

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Tue May 01, 2007 12:13 am

I don't fish for catfish anymore trout, but used to and it was a lot of fun...

great eating fish when you know how to cook them....

via conversations with WDFW biologists about 7 or 8 years ago I found out that they
have a "warm water" species hatchery in the moses lake area and one of the species they
"hatched" and "nutured" then was catfish for to plant them in various waters around the state.....

that was where I found out that catfish were planted in Kress Lake and Swofford Pond....

haven't kept current on the topic though.............

and they may not even be doing this anymore.......

I think WDFW still has a "Warmwater species" department and if I were you I would try to make contact
with someone there and get the latest scoop on what's going on with that particular species....

most WA sporties are after trout, salmon, and bass..... I think WDFW is very forward looking in the way it's dealing with the warmwater species, but there really aren't that many folks fishing for catfish so the information about how they manage this form of opportunity isn't quite as easily available as the information for salmon and trout.............

but if you can get to the right person at WDFW I can guarantee that you will find out everything you want to know and more... Every WDFW person I've ever talked to about this kind of thing was more than happy to pass on everything they knew... in fact I've usually had more problem getting them to stop than to get them started talking.....
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

basshunter425
Petty Officer

Post by basshunter425 » Tue May 01, 2007 9:11 am

caught pretty big ones in green lake

Dillpepsi123
Petty Officer

Post by Dillpepsi123 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:54 pm

Might not be where you want.but have you heard of Lacamas Lake in Clark County.....................I have caught 5-10 pound hogs out of there using hotdogs or chicken liver...........That just what i know

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 01, 2007 9:24 pm

I havnt really fished for catfish but this summer I would really like to get in to it. Last year I tried on one of the last trips of the year and had a huge cat on thats all it took to get me thinkin about cats. Im not sure but from what I undestand most of the better catfishing is done east of the mountains. But like I said i am not to big on fishing for whiskers.