has anyone fished snoqualmie falls pool

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gian
Warrant Officer

has anyone fished snoqualmie falls pool

Post by gian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:17 pm

have any of you guys gone to the deep pool at the falls this season? can you still fish it? I was told you have to jump a fence now, but the way the regs read I suppose it's still legal to fish the pool. I imagine it must be freezing the with spray from the falls. I think I've had it with the Tolt river and I'm looking for another spot close to home.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:has anyone fished snoqualmie falls pool

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:50 pm

I belive you can fish the pools and the fish do stack up in there in numbers it seems like 2 of my buds fished it hard early though in the summer or very late spring.
Check the regs or call your local game office for the facts.
Right Now the spray and temps should give you a killer deep freeze and ice bath:brilsmurf :bigsmurf:

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:24 am

I haven't fished the pool for a few years but it used to be a favorite almost year around. You can check out my article in Tackle Box Tales.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:30 am

To access the pool you'll have to climb down from the wooden walkway, but you can get down there without too much trouble. Watch out for rising water!!! It can come up fast in there.
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

fishndude
Petty Officer

Post by fishndude » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Another option would be Tokul Creek by the hatchery. I was just there two Sundays ago. Between 7am-10am everyone around me had caught or lost a fish and I heard that many were caught before 7am as well. They were all pretty bright too. I only saw one darker fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Im not 100% positive but I thought that upper river was Fly Fishing only now.Those pools used to be stacked with steel.You know Tokul was hot 2 weeks ago.Even I caught 2 in that weekend.Tokul isnt my favorite type of fishing though.Check latest regs.I heard Tokul was gonna be closed due to hatchery damage and the destroyed fry in the ponds.??????
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 pm

thanks for the replies. I did check the regs on the pool and it states "closed water within puget power tunnel at falls and within 50' of any point of puget powers lower plant #2 building (north bank)." I've only gone to look at the falls from above, i've never gone down the trail to the river, so I"m not sure where the lower plant is in relation to the pool.

Bob, I did read your article and will be looking for some of the landmarks you reference.

Racfish - from the falls and above is selective gear only right now. You are correct. I fish middle fork snoqualmie quite a bit and it's selective gear year round. I use ultra light gear with a spinning rod and have had success pulling the little natives out of that system. Now I'm on the hunt for some steel and I keep coming up empty. I'll have to contact WDFW to see whats going on with Tokul. The regs say its open until feb 28th.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Tokul is open now and will stay open for a while.I guess the hatchery got damaged and the creek is open.My bros went down there today early am and brought me a 1/2 of steel.Dinner tonite.They caught using pink yarn on an Owner size 1/0 hook.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

niceguytree
Angler

Post by niceguytree » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:21 am

The hatchery is thrashed. Something to think about, is when you catch a hen there, Debbie at the hatchery would be thrilled to get eggs. The chances of the state doing repairs to the raceway, etc. are nil. This very well could be the end of that hatchery operation. Remember they did NOT get escapement goals at all.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 pm

The really sad rumor I heard is that the state is not funding the Tokul Creek hatchery in the comming years.Its a darn shame not to keep that hatchery going.Lets all pitch in and lease it from the state.We can have our own hatchery.I wish there was a way to do that really.People who fish that area spend alot in the town of Fall City.Too bad they dont look at the values of a good fishery.