Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by needabiggerboat » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:34 pm

:colors: Well to start off I will give you what I have always been told about colors.
Green or yellow for the kings
Pink or orange for the silvers
Anything thats pink for the pinks
Not shure for the chums (never fished for them)

Give me any help you can for the cloudy water right now. (not used to it)
also any suggestions on how to spot a good place that fish will hold.
Needabiggerboat,
P.s. trying to get my wife hooked up with a king on the river. :-$ She has no idea what is going to happen.
Fishing or Hunting any thing in the outdoors is what I live for.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by Toni » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:02 am

Well, I don't know much about Kings in the Puyallup. In cloudy water you are suppose to increase the size of you presentation. I think most people just put on an extra corky. Most of my experience is on the Carbon. I didn't know that about the green for kings. Chartreuse (if that is how it is spelled) is suppose to be good in cloudy water also.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by racfish » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 am

From what I've seen of fishing the Puyallup it dosent look like a real sporting type of fishery.Kinda reminds me of the Skokomish.If its open for non tribal fishermen I'd try the Nisqually instead.The rivers are netted so heavy this time of year.Id check the net schedule before going out.There are some real crazys fishing the Puyallup also.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Post by needabiggerboat » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:56 pm

:scratch: No clue where you would find the net scedule. any hints
I plan to hit it again this sunday. help!
I have beed thinking that plunking would be the best bet when the water is cloudy like this and using lots of scent. I am open to any ideas on which kind of scent. Still learning every day I fish.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 pm

I heard a rumor that the netting schedule is Sun noon to Thurs noon. Not positive with the information. It was similar last year.
The Puyallup is almost always cloudy. The only time it might not be is in winter when we haven't had rain. Scent will not hurt. I have a friend that loves fishing with the Mepps (classic) red and white in #2 or 3. I haven't caught one with that lure yet.
I have heard others say they only use a very small red corky. Eggs are suppose to be good.

If you go to look at the flow of the river before you go you will come to learn what rain and heat can do to the flow
All river flows
I did this all last season for the Carbon, so I would know when it was blown out or not. Some times it would raise and the fish were no longer where they were- they were right in front of me. Not 4 feet away. It took me about 4-5 years (can't remember for sure) to learn enough to catch salmon.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:00 am

Spoons and spinners are ok on the Puyallup as long as it is a single hook?
I'm looking at the regs trying to familiarize myself with the rules of rivers. I've been out of the game too long.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:39 am

kevinb wrote:Spoons and spinners are ok on the Puyallup as long as it is a single hook?
I'm looking at the regs trying to familiarize myself with the rules of rivers. I've been out of the game too long.
it's gotta be a single-point barbless hook on the Puy

123abc
Angler

Post by 123abc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:02 pm

how long do kings run in the puyallup?

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank you SEG,
I'm just learning the term "Non-Bouyant Lure Restrictions"
Now I just need to figure out what works in the Puyallup#-o

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 pm

123abc wrote:how long do kings run in the puyallup?
They can run into Oct but that is in small amounts.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 am

Toni wrote:
Most are fairly dark in oct. too.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:17 pm

Derrick-k wrote:
Toni wrote:
Most are fairly dark in oct. too.
Yep-smoker fish.
Derrick when would you say the bright ones finish?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:12 am

Went to the Puyallup river (115th st) last night 7-8pm. It was flowing so fast I didn't have enough weight to get the lure to the bottom. I looked and the river raised again over night.
Kings are still getting through to the hatchery. 253 went up from last Thurs. to yesterday. 435 total at the hatchery.

123abc
Angler

Post by 123abc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Hopefully the level goes down soon. I had a hatchery king on a couple days ago for about 20 minutes that was about 25 pounds and that all ive had but i have only gone a few times.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 am

123abc wrote:Hopefully the level goes down soon. I had a hatchery king on a couple days ago for about 20 minutes that was about 25 pounds and that all ive had but i have only gone a few times.
That is more than I have had. Sounds like it was good even if you didn't get it in. I take it to mean that it got off since you said it was on for 20 minutes.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Use heavier line to get it in fast.

In that cloudy water, line/leader thickness is no big deal.

I use 14 or 15 lb test when I am on the Puy

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:40 pm

I use 15 lb test also on my Ambassador 6000 with a med to heavy salmon rod.When the flow is strong I plunk with up to 8 oz of lead.Pyramid sinkers work best for holding.I plunk eggs and mallow in the estuary.spoons or spinners (single hooks only) on the upper areas.I fish the same in both the Puke and the Nasty.(Nisqually)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Post by needabiggerboat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 pm

:cheers: Great info guys keep it coming. How about locations so far I have stuck to the old canery spots.
Sunday I will have three lines in the water all plunking with heavy scent. ( me, wife , and oldest boy)
Wish me luck.:fish:

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:07 am

Good Luck.
Anise oil is suppose to be good scent also.

Chin_nook
Petty Officer

Post by Chin_nook » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Also before you walk down to the gravel beds make sure you pull the ticket in the bushes so you know when it's your turn to join the line with the other guys.:clown: