Salmon,Steelhead help?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Salmon,Steelhead help?

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:28 pm

I fish rivers and streams on occasion but usually with a fly rod and for trout.
Its almost embarassing but I havn't fish for salmon or steelhead in the rivers for many years. I'm talk'n like when I was 10 or so.
Basically,I need a crash coarse in everything. From line of weight,lure/bait choice,presentation(if any)
I'm hoping to hit the Puyallap/Carbon and Green this fall. To make this even better,my wife is encouraging me to do this..she's a big fan of salmon.:chef:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Salmon,Steelhead help?

Post by kevinb » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Some one help a brother out?:clown:

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:51 pm

the best all around set-up for salmon and steelhead in my opinion would just be a medium-heavy 7-9ft rod, either a medium duty spinning reel or a abu garcia ambasseduer with 12-15lb test and a number 4 or 5 bluefox vibrax spinner!

cast the spinner at about 11 O'clock and reel in as it sweeps through the river at a looping angle and then repeat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

Chin_nook
Petty Officer

Post by Chin_nook » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:52 pm

If your going to hit it with a fly pole....6wt-8wt with a type II or III sink tip and a 4'-5' leader. Fly of choice would be a nice fat streamer. Pink or blue color

The Puke is known for Corky-n-Yarn gear. Get a slinky weight or use lead coil weights..about 1/2oz-3/4oz weight(enough to tick the bottom slowly) run a 3'-6' leader. Use enough corky to float the hook and yarn a few inches from the bottom.

Some guys will plunk the first stretch of river all the way up behind Fredmiers with bobber and eggs to.

PM me if you have anymore questions. Hopefully you have a pair of chest waders because the popular places get pretty crowded.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:53 am

Thank you folks,

I'll be using spinning gear on these trips.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:33 am

I use 7'-9'6" medium pole with a reel size that is medium. Line 8-15 lb test. I have a 7', 8'6", and a 9"6" pole. I use the 8'6" and 8-12 lb test the most. I used the 7' pole and caught a 9 lb silver. Years ago it caught a 19.5 lb salmon off a dock. I mostly use corky and yarn, but this year I started making my own spinners so I will use them. The silvers seem to like them better.
I have mostly used drift fishing method.
Main thing with fishing for salmon is just keep going. Go and fish in the rivers for trout to practice for the salmon season.
Attachments
drift_fishing_setup.JPG
drift_fishing_setup.JPG (83.92 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 am

I use solid lead but pound the top into a circular flat spot and punch a hole in it for the swivel. I don't use the tubing. I have also used regular bait weights that are kinda bell shaped with a circle eye at the top made out of the same stuff as swivels.
I also use small hooks size 4 to 1/0 I like black.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

savage42
Angler

Post by savage42 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:03 pm

it is also my first year of fishing for salmon in the rivers and i haven't caught anything, its getting frustrating and i dont kno what im doing wrong..any tips or hot spots for rivers north of seattle?

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Thank you Toni,this is perfect :cheers:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:20 pm

savage42 wrote:it is also my first year of fishing for salmon in the rivers and i haven't caught anything, its getting frustrating and i dont kno what im doing wrong..any tips or hot spots for rivers north of seattle?
Welcome to WL,sounds like you and I are in the same boat.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Welcome savage42. Out here in Sultan on the Sky I have had good luck using a 50/50 wee dick nite for coho. Take a blue felt pen and use it to color the silver blue, add a little scent ( to hide yours ) and hang on!!!:cheers:

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:19 pm

savage42 wrote:it is also my first year of fishing for salmon in the rivers and i haven't caught anything, its getting frustrating and i dont kno what im doing wrong..any tips or hot spots for rivers north of seattle?
Try the Sky or Reiter.... Fish are being caught there, you won't be alone, but it would be a good thing in your case, so you can see how others are working their presentations and fishing water....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

savage42
Angler

Post by savage42 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:57 pm

okay so im going down this weekend? can i get some directions to reiter ponds of any other hot spots along the sky ? dont really know where im going...and is there any campsites?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.