i might have to keep over the limit

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fish4brains
Warrant Officer

RE:i might have to keep over the limit

Post by fish4brains » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:38 pm

well some people gotta do what they gotta do to feed there family.man this is why i donot like the justice system.you can get in trubble for trying to get by......sad....but yea i see poaching becomeing a big problem aswell.its a shame its comeing down to this...but like i said people gotta do what they gotta do...but hopefully we wont run out of food.as long as gas prices dont go up,but they prob will and theres gonna be a lot of people poaching.i personly couldnt shoot a animal.mabey like a rat or something.cause ive done that b4 cause are house was infested with them.and i have to say it was a fun night.but yea.its gonna be hard.mabey thing s will get better with the ecomony. i really hope so cause i dont wanna be labed as a poacher.i hate poachers.but a poacher to me is sum hunting endanged animals.
Christopher, after reading this, can you tell me I am way off base? Didn't think so. I could have been more constructive like when a red line appears under a word, it is misspelled but I am a little too upfront for sissy footing. Thanks for stepping in though. (rolls eyes)

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Dave wrote:
Give these suggestions provided to you by the group some consideration and lack of food willl likely not be an issue]You stated your family brings in $4,600.00 per month[/b]). That’s allot of money! Money management is essential.
2) Eliminate all nonessential things like cable TV, cell phone, internet service, and liquidate things you don’t “need”.
3) Supplement your income by finding additional employment
4) Work overtime at your current job.
5) Great suggestion by Toni and Bscman, FOOD BANK.
6) Consider alternate forms of transportation: bicycle, walk, bus, carpool ect, motor scooter under 50 cc’s.
7) Don’t live above your means. Example; If you drive an expensive vehicle, downgrade and get rid of that payment.

Desperate times call for;
1) Creativity
2) Extra effort
3) Intelligent decision making
4) Common sense
5) Thinking outside the box
6) Faith

I wish you and your family the best. Good luck.
What the hay...I'll throw in a few more.

Plan ahead.

1. Save all your spare change. Stop and pick up those nickels and dimes you see on the sidewalk. It'll add $5-20+ in your pocket each month. Same with recyclable---pop cans, bottles, scrap metal, etc....it all pays!

2. If you smoke, drink alcohol (or even soda) quite those habits. You don't *need* to smoke, and water is practically free. Processed sugars and alcohol aren't doing your body any good. For many people, this could easily save $3-5 PER DAY for a smoker/drinker. Even if you just have a two cans of soda a day, a family of four could easily save $25-35 a month!

3. Plant a garden.
Why let your lawn eat up all those nutrients when you could be getting carrots, tomatoes, peas, squash, etc. for practically free? It's healthier, and will save a fair bit of $$$ on the grocery bills.

4. Plan ahead with food.
Buy in bulk and freeze goods that will last a while....anything from veggies, to fish/pork/beef, even bread products. If you buy it on sale or in bulk, you can save HUGE amounts of money. Freezer paper is pretty cheap. The average family of four could easily save $100+ per month in grocery bills by clipping coupons and buying in bulk.
Furthermore, plan further ahead than just a few days or a week. If you live week-by-week with your grocery list, you'll miss out on a lot of good sales. When you see something on sale that you use often, buy more than you need right now (assuming it will store). Things like peanut butter, pasta sauce, and frozen foods will store a long time.

5. Cut back on certain foods you eat.
Carrots are cheaper (and healthier) than candy bars. Oatmeal with a pinch of sugar is much cheaper than sugar-filled cereals. Implement rice as a "filler" or side dish for dinner and slightly reduce portions of more costly foods (like cheese, meat, etc). Instead of snacking on chips between meals, popcorn is a great CHEAP alternative. One night a week, substitute a regular dinner for something cheap and simple like top-ramen noodles and a side of veggies. Seasonal foods are a great way to save $$$ too....for instance, I've seen all-beef hotdogs on sale several times "Buy 1 get 2 free." That's right, spend $3 on one package, and you'll get two more for free. That's a buck a package...CHEAP dinner!
Again, this could easily save you $50+ a month.

When it comes right down to it, we live in a "spoiled" day and age. Everything is there, ready and waiting....and we are fortunate enough to have more "things" than we ever though imagineable not long ago. Sometimes a "pinch" on the budget can bring us back to the reality of what truly is a "want" versus a "need."
I've been there...and now I scoff at the way I used to budget my money. I wasted $300-400 a month on stuff I *though* I needed...when you seriously sit down and budget, you can be shocked at how much you waste a month--I know I was.

At $4,600 a month there shouldn't be any problem supporting a family of four...even with a house and car payment.
If you still find yourself succumbing to the "pinch," realize that there are better options out there than poaching.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tumbleweed
Angler

Post by tumbleweed » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:56 pm

TheOne wrote:but yea i see poaching becomeing a big problem aswell.its a shame its comeing down to this...but like i said people gotta do what they gotta do...but hopefully we wont run out of food.
shoot some squirrel. seriously, you say poaching is a big problem, yet you are poaching...oxymornomic. grow a garden like someone said and stop complaining about the "system." if you see yourself as a victim, don't take it out on local waterways.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:11 pm

fish4brains wrote:Please do us all a favor and come back to post after you have aged some, finished your education and had some more life experiences. Your last few post were painful to read through. Please pay attention in English class. Man, your grammar is horrible. If you are only 8 years old I apologize.
Now, this is where I step in.

Everyone has a right to post their opinion on this forum regardless of their educational level or age as long as they are civil and the language is appropriate.

Fish4brains, if The One's posts are painful to read, then you have an option, don't read them. If he is 8 years old or 48 years old, an apology is in order.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:32 am

I agree that poaching will become more of a problem than it already is.
Another thing I see in our future is the ole bucket biology coming into play.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:12 am

Ok there is no need to become a poacher if you fish to feed your family you feed your family with the fresh fish you just caught. how can you have over your limit or better yet the possition limit if you are using what you catch to feed your family if you need more than your limit to feed your family than your family needs to go fishing with you so they have a limit as well. besides when fishing for food isnt it better to have as many lines in the water as is legal....

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:15 am

tumbleweed wrote: shoot some squirrel. seriously, you say poaching is a big problem, yet you are poaching...oxymornomic. grow a garden like someone said and stop complaining about the "system." if you see yourself as a victim, don't take it out on local waterways.
I wouldn't recommend that...all native squirrel species of Washington state are protected!!!
YellowBear wrote: Another thing I see in our future is the ole bucket biology coming into play.
Ya lost me here, YellowBear...bucket biology?

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:19 am

My local grocery store had 5 jobs posted yesterday. It would seem that it would take lots less gas to drive to a job than it would to drive far enough out to poach. Unless you live in Seattle and have access to the local coons and possums.

Food banks, part time jobs and cutting back on the budget is the way to go. Don't forget food stamps either.

I pay a bunch of taxes and a portion of them are to support people in need, whether the need be because of handicap, size of family, accident or loss of job.

Poaching is for lowlifes.

My family was on commodities and food stamps when I was growing up and we didn't resort to poaching.

Again...poaching is for lowlifes.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:52 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:57 am

Just stepped back in to see all the great suggestions and ideas that all of you have come up with to help out TheOne. I don't believe his household qualifies for state assistance or food stamps though because their income is $4,600. a month.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:57 am

top ramen is on sale at safeway. buy beans and rice in bulk and slow cook them thoughout the day. beans and rice side dish is filling and full of energy
I won't kill anything less than a meal

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:43 am

Dave wrote:Just stepped back in to see all the great suggestions and ideas that all of you have come up with to help out TheOne. I don't believe his household qualifies for state assistance or food stamps though because their income is $4,600. a month.
A visit to Consumer Credit Counseling might help if money is tight.

tumbleweed
Angler

Post by tumbleweed » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Have you considered being a "FREEGAN?" Here is the link and I'll put the article in here. This is totally legit but just takes some effort on your part. The jist of it is that you can get in the dumpsters and garbage cans at grocery stores that throw away perfectly good food but doesn't meet their "standards." It's pretty cool! Check it out, seriously!

http://freegan.info/

http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200802/ ... _101.jhtml

What is a Freegan?

Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed.
After years of trying to boycott products from unethical corporations responsible for human rights violations, environmental destruction, and animal abuse, many of us found that no matter what we bought we ended up supporting something deplorable. We came to realize that the problem isn't just a few bad corporations but the entire system itself.

Freeganism is a total boycott of an economic system where the profit motive has eclipsed ethical considerations and where massively complex systems of productions ensure that all the products we buy will have detrimental impacts most of which we may never even consider. Thus, instead of avoiding the purchase of products from one bad company only to support another, we avoid buying anything to the greatest degree we are able.

The word freegan is compounded from "free" and "vegan". Vegans are people who avoid products from animal sources or products tested on animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this a step further by recognizing that in a complex, industrial, mass-production economy driven by profit, abuses of humans, animals, and the earth abound at all levels of production (from acquisition to raw materials to production to transportation) and in just about every product we buy. Sweatshop labor, rainforest destruction, global warming, displacement of indigenous communities, air and water pollution, eradication of wildlife on farmland as "pests", the violent overthrow of popularly elected governments to maintain puppet dictators compliant to big business interests, open-pit strip mining, oil drilling in environmentally sensitive areas, union busting, child slavery, and payoffs to repressive regimes are just some of the many impacts of the seemingly innocuous consumer products we consume every day.

Freegans employ a range of strategies for practical living based on our principles:

Waste Reclamation
We live in an economic system where sellers only value land and commodities relative to their capacity to generate profit. Consumers are constantly being bombarded with advertising telling them to discard and replace the goods they already have because this increases sales. This practice of affluent societies produces an amount of waste so enormous that many people can be fed and supported simply on its trash. As freegans we forage instead of buying to avoid being wasteful consumers ourselves, to politically challenge the injustice of allowing vital resources to be wasted while multitudes lack basic necessities like food, clothing, and shelter, and to reduce the waste going to landfills and incinerators which are disproportionately situated within poor, non-white neighborhoods, where they cause elevated levels of cancer and asthma.

Perhaps the most notorious freegan strategy is what is commonly called "urban foraging" or "dumpster diving". This technique involves rummaging through the garbage of retailers, residences, offices, and other facilities for useful goods. Despite our society's sterotypes about garbage, the goods recovered by freegans are safe, useable, clean, and in perfect or near-perfect condition, a symptom of a throwaway culture that encourages us to constantly replace our older goods with newer ones, and where retailers plan high-volume product disposal as part of their economic model. Some urban foragers go at it alone, others dive in groups, but we always share the discoveries openly with one another and with anyone along the way who wants them. Groups like Food Not Bombs recover foods that would otherwise go to waste and use them to prepare meals to share in public places with anyone who wishes to partake.

By recovering the discards of retailers, offices, schools, homes, hotels, or anywhere by rummaging through their trash bins, dumpsters, and trash bags, freegans are able to obtain food, beverages, books, toiletries magazines, comic books, newspapers, videos, kitchenware, appliances, music (CDs, cassettes, records, etc.), carpets, musical instruments, clothing, rollerblades, scooters, furniture, vitamins, electronics, animal care products, games, toys, bicycles, artwork, and just about any other type of consumer good. Rather than contributing to further waste, freegans curtail garbage and pollution, reducing the over-all volume in the waste stream.

Lots of used items can also be found for free or shared with others on websites like Freecycle and in the free section of your local Craigslist. To dispose of useful materials check out the EPA's Materials and Waste Exchanges directory. In communities around the country, people are holding events like "Really, Really, Free Markets" and "Freemeets". These events are akin to flea markets with free items. People bring items to share with others. They give and take but not a dollar is exchanged. When freegans do need to buy, we buy second-hand goods which reduces production and supports reusing and reducing what would have been wasted without providing any additional funds for new production.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:01 pm

i once knew a "FREEGAN". he went to the local big box sporting goods store, looked in the trash, and pulled out six brand new fishing rods with busted tips. he simply put new tips on for $3 each and had a whole new set up of fishing poles for $18. incredible!!
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 am

Bscman,
The reason I feel bucket Bioligy will be a concern is because of the price of fuel.
Some folks will want certain species closer to home.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:23 am

Bscman wrote:
tumbleweed wrote: shoot some squirrel. seriously, you say poaching is a big problem, yet you are poaching...oxymornomic. grow a garden like someone said and stop complaining about the "system." if you see yourself as a victim, don't take it out on local waterways.
I wouldn't recommend that...all native squirrel species of Washington state are protected!!!
YellowBear wrote: Another thing I see in our future is the ole bucket biology coming into play.
Ya lost me here, YellowBear...bucket biology?

YellowBear is talking about people who move fish caught from one body of water to another, so as to popullate a lake with the species that they want. This is what happens when you see lakes like Chopaka (fly fishing only champion rainbow lake) get suddenly over taken over with non native bass.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 am

TheOne: You wonder why you get crap from folks here when you post threads like this saying your going to poach???
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:15 pm

TheOne wrote:what everyone must understand is that i siad (if our food runs out) witch will more than likely wont happen.and all im saying is its hard with all the high prices for everything and (IF) our food runs out thats what im going to do what i have to do to feed my family..noone of you cant say you wouldnt do the same...but i highly doubt we will run out of food.i mean i bring in at least a month 1600 plus my mom she brings in like 1200 a month and my cusin bringsin around 800 a month my dad brings in a lil over 1000.and like i said thats only going to happen if our food runs out.but check this out gas is expected to hit a massive $7 a gallon b4 the end of summer......and the ice in the north pole should all be broken up and ships will be able to pass though by the end of summer...man so much CRAP is going on..when are as american people going to get a break.cause im not likeing the stuff thats happening as im shure all of you are.....

which website do you get this junk from? "They" say gas will hit $7 by 2010. If it hits $7 by the end of the summer the economy will really be in the crapper. Crude is priced in US dollars. If the dollar is down, gas is up. If the dollar is up, gas is down. We are in an undeclared recession right now and once the economy turns around gas will start dropping down.

Also, who is the head of the household in your nuclear family? That's the person who needs to apply for assistance.

Back to the "news". Let me know when the ice melts on the North Pole. We'll be fishing from the top of the Space Needle if that happens.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:24 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
TheOne wrote:what everyone must understand is that i siad (if our food runs out) witch will more than likely wont happen.and all im saying is its hard with all the high prices for everything and (IF) our food runs out thats what im going to do what i have to do to feed my family..noone of you cant say you wouldnt do the same...but i highly doubt we will run out of food.i mean i bring in at least a month 1600 plus my mom she brings in like 1200 a month and my cusin bringsin around 800 a month my dad brings in a lil over 1000.and like i said thats only going to happen if our food runs out.but check this out gas is expected to hit a massive $7 a gallon b4 the end of summer......and the ice in the north pole should all be broken up and ships will be able to pass though by the end of summer...man so much CRAP is going on..when are as american people going to get a break.cause im not likeing the stuff thats happening as im shure all of you are.....

which website do you get this junk from? "They" say gas will hit $7 by 2010. If it hits $7 by the end of the summer the economy will really be in the crapper. Crude is priced in US dollars. If the dollar is down, gas is up. If the dollar is up, gas is down. We are in an undeclared recession right now and once the economy turns around gas will start dropping down.

Also, who is the head of the household in your nuclear family? That's the person who needs to apply for assistance.

Back to the "news". Let me know when the ice melts on the North Pole. We'll be fishing from the top of the Space Needle if that happens.
ROFLMAO :-#
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:TheOne: You wonder why you get crap from folks here when you post threads like this saying your going to poach???
I wanted to say this as soon as i read his post.

And i dont want to sound mean the one, but just do a little more research before you post stuff, and you should have known this is a sensitive area on a fishing forum anyway.

And with all the money your family brings in you should be fine, my dad does fine on about $3200/month as a single parent with two kids, doesn't receive child support, and pays the boat note, truck, and everything that keeps life good.

But i know, im 15, i haven't experienced this myself yet so idk.

Plus, if its that much of a problem go to Lake Washington or Sammamish and keep all the perch you want :clown:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.