Looking for a camp ground along a decent river for Kids to fish!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flying_soldier
Petty Officer

Looking for a camp ground along a decent river for Kids to fish!

Post by flying_soldier » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Not sure if thi is the right place to post this but I am fairly new to camping here in washington and looking for a established camp ground to take the wife and kids to that we can both wake up to the sound of the river and be able for the kids to fish it. I myself have been in the Army for 12+ years now and usually just sleep out in a mummy bag where ever but the Mrs and chillins are not very hard core. It needs to be a decent extablished campground for a couple tents and outhouses w/ water. Being able to fish bait would be nice also. It is way easier to let the kids toss a worm in then have them trying to cast every ten seconds. All that leads to is me getting them unsnagged or out of the trees over and over..HA..We live in Kirkland just off the 405 and I would like to keep it within an hour or so if possible. Anyone have any ideas for me?
"Ultimately the courage to do the harder right rather than the
easier wrong is easiest to find when we are reminded regularly of the
immense sacrifices and miraculous bravery of people like our US soldiers."

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Looking for a camp ground along a decent river for Kids to fish!

Post by kevinb » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm sure their plenty of other options but I've stayed at Kanaskat State Park(Just outside of Enumclaw) Pretty nice place,all the sites are about a 3 minute walk from the Green River.Their is 1 primitive spot on the river.
Good luck on your search
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:47 pm

kevinb wrote:I'm sure their plenty of other options but I've stayed at Kanaskat State Park(Just outside of Enumclaw) Pretty nice place,all the sites are about a 3 minute walk from the Green River.Their is 1 primitive spot on the river.
Good luck on your search
Kanaskat is a great place to camp was there last year.We stayed there while attending the Brad Paisley concert.Also there is a lake down the street called Deep Lake I caught a couple trout fly fishing from shore there.Kanaskat gets my vote.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:06 am

I'd be careful with kids and western WA rivers until after the snow melt is done. There is potential for high running water if it's a hot weekend and the snow is really melting.

I'm assuming the kids are little.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:39 pm

I SUGGEST ICICLE RIVER CAMPGROUND. 3 MILES OUTSIDE OF LEAVENWORTH. THE ICICLE ROLLS RIGHT BY YOUR TENT. TROUT FISHING OPENED ON JUNE 1ST. FISH HATCHERY WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE, AND, WHAT IS KNOWN AS THE SLEEPING LADY IS RIGHT NEXT DOOR. VERY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY AND THE KIDS WILL LOVE IT.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:20 pm

It's not a river, and it's a bit further away than you're looking for....but you might want to take a look at Deception Pass State Park.
Over 200 camping sights from walk-in to full hookups, several less than 40-50yds from Cranberry Lake which offers plenty of shore fishing as well as a large, public dock. Also very close to the salt.

Within a few miles of Deception Pass are several other great lakes for fishing including Pass lake, Heart Lake, Lake Erie, Lake Campbell, Little Cranberry Lake, Whistle Lake, and at least a couple more.
Also several miles of hiking and great scenery.

The only downfall is that Dec. Pass is adjacent to the base on Whidbey Island, so there is a fair amount of noise from incoming aircraft.

flying_soldier
Petty Officer

Post by flying_soldier » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:07 am

Wow, you guys are great! thanks for all of the spots. Someone PM'ed me and we went to Verlot Camp Ground just past Granite falls and it was great. The fishing wasn't the best and the water was awfully silty but we had a great time. I will definitely check out Icicle Campground soon also. Appreciate the help, this is a great website!
"Ultimately the courage to do the harder right rather than the
easier wrong is easiest to find when we are reminded regularly of the
immense sacrifices and miraculous bravery of people like our US soldiers."

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 pm

I just got back from Icicle this weekend. We got there friday around 7 and most of the camping sites were taken. The road has been washed out right past Ida creek campground, so there's not much to choose from. We stayed at upper johhny and had a good time. It took me awhile to find a decent fishing spot with the water so high, and good river access was above the washout. I found a few spots near the campground that just kept taking lures. The ideal spot is lower down the river by the fish hatchery. there is a boat launch, a dock, and plenty of shoreline to fish with no rapids. Plus the chinook run up to that point along with the steelhead. Plenty of parking. We also did a tube float down the icicle by "float leavenworth". I had my 2 year old with me and it got bumpy in a few spots but was mostly calm, clear, and FREEZING. We are allready making plans to go back in a few months. Campground was clean, spots were raked with a picnic bench and fire pit in each. Onsite campground host was very friendly. 13.00 a night
I won't kill anything less than a meal

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:27 pm

GIAN,
GLAD YOU HAD FUN UP THERE. HEADING UP NEXT WEDNESDAY FOR 5 DAYS. IM HOPING THE WATER IS DOWN A TAD. SUCKS THAT YOU LOST A FEW LURES. I TRY AND GET THOSE MULTI-PACKS OF ROOSTER TAILS, DUE TO THE FAST WATER, AND THE ROCKS BEING "GRABBY". CANT BEAT THE VIEWS, THOUGH!!!!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Icicle is great.I love it up there.Try Johnny Creek or 4th of July campgrounds.Both have some decent pools for swimming and fishing.The other river that is nice with alot of camp areas is the American river going into Cowiche off White pass.Im not sure the hiway #.Close by is Tinkham up near Snoqualmie pass and its on the South Fork Snoqualmie.Exit 40 I think on I-90
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:46 pm

Try Salmon La Sac campground on the Cle Elum River. It is roughly 1.5-2 hours from where you live depending on the traffic and how fast you drive. The predominent species here is brookies, rainbows, cutthroat, bull trout and the occasional lake trout. The fishing is fairly consistant with a 1/16 oz rooster tail during the summer. The fishing here may be questionable as of this moment because of the bad winter we had, but on a normal year if you fish it right, you can catch a lot of trout here at this time through september. Most of the fish that you can expect to catch will range between 6-10", but there are enough 12-16" fish to keep it fun.

Hint: try further upriver towards Tuquala Lake for better action.