Leaders with egg loop

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dave M
Warrant Officer

Leaders with egg loop

Post by Dave M » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Ok, I cannot get the hang of tying an egg loop, Where can I find a store or on line that sells some decent pre tied hooks?
Also what is the best size hook to use?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Leaders with egg loop

Post by racfish » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I tie my own. Id try Auburn Sports or in Seattle at Outdoor Emporium.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks, didn't even think of Auburn sports, live right by it. I am trying to tie my own, just haven't had much success yet. Found some online but no barbless.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 pm

The best way in this day and age to learn a new (to you) knot is to go to Youtube. A fellow can learn practically anything these days with video tutorials - from home / car repair to how to fish with specific lures or even tie an egg loop knot like a pro.

Be patient, persistent, and remember the age old adages - practice makes prefect - and don't give up.

Before you know it, these leaders you create will come as naturally for you as a perfectly tied shoe.

I personally prefer Gamakatsu Octopus hooks for this rig - and one of the main reasons I buy them is the barbs snap off clean when a pair of needle nose is used to 'compress' them. They are expensive - generally upwards of 60 cents each when purchased in a brick and mortar, but online can be had for closer to 20 cents per when purchased by the 100.

The best of luck.

onmygame

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks Onmygame. I have found a few sites with step by step pics and video, I just cant get the second part that puts the actual loop in the line. I bought several packs of the Gamakatsu just for this purpose. Just want to find some pre tied to get me thru until I have it down.

OK, I really owe you one. Going to you tube was perfect. I had been watching little animated videos to learn the knot. First one I watched and I figured out what I was doing wrong. Also it helps to get a little vice to put the hook into.

Thanks
Dave

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:08 am

I used utube to learn and I also use bigger hooks and liners help get the hang of it. 3 rivers marine sells rolls of foam that have leaders single hook and double hooks bait loops but they failed on me. So now tie my own.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 am

Definitely better to tie your own. You decide what type/size of hook, leader, and length. I usually use size 1 hooks with 10-12lb leader for the majority of Steelhead/salmon drift fishing, but also use some smaller hooks and shorter leaders for bead fishing during the winter. It gets easier the more you practice. I usually will tie them while watching a program on TV.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:20 am

Dave M wrote:Thanks, didn't even think of Auburn sports, live right by it. I am trying to tie my own, just haven't had much success yet. Found some online but no barbless.
if you are fishing one the rivers that recently opened for coho you don't need to use barbless. Now if you are fishing the salt, the Columbia and its tribs then yes you do need to be barbless. If you are referring to the Anti-snagging rule that just means single point hooks measuring no more than3/4 of inch from shank to point. no trebles unless using a floating lure or trolling from vessel and no weight below 12 inches to lure,bait, hook. I'm sure I didn't word it exactly as wdfw does but the point I am trying to get to is it does not mention barbless hooks. I know this can be confusing as a lot of anglers seem to think that anytime you are fishing for salmon you need barbless but that is incorrect. Either way always check the regs. Btw here is a pic of an egg loop knot but you probably are better using YouTube. Practice at home with either cheap heavy leader or simply some string until you get it right. Good luck out there
Attachments
image.gif

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:31 am

One HUGE advantage to tying your own egg loops is the ability to modify the knot. I usually do 6 or so loops for the top portion, but then I add a bunch of extra loops onto the hook shank before closing off the knot, the usual tying guides recommend 4-8 loops to finish the knot, but I tie about 14-20 loops and keep the knot going a good ways down the hooks shank. If you are using bait with your egg loop (as is the designed intention) these additional loops on the shank of the hook spread out the bite of the loop over the shank of the hook and keep the mono from cutting through the eggs or bait so quickly. I find you get a lot longer bait longevity with the added loops.

Give it a shot.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 pm

riverhunter wrote:
Dave M wrote:Thanks, didn't even think of Auburn sports, live right by it. I am trying to tie my own, just haven't had much success yet. Found some online but no barbless.
if you are fishing one the rivers that recently opened for coho you don't need to use barbless. Now if you are fishing the salt, the Columbia and its tribs then yes you do need to be barbless. If you are referring to the Anti-snagging rule that just means single point hooks measuring no more than3/4 of inch from shank to point. no trebles unless using a floating lure or trolling from vessel and no weight below 12 inches to lure,bait, hook. I'm sure I didn't word it exactly as wdfw does but the point I am trying to get to is it does not mention barbless hooks. I know this can be confusing as a lot of anglers seem to think that anytime you are fishing for salmon you need barbless but that is incorrect. Either way always check the regs. Btw here is a pic of an egg loop knot but you probably are better using YouTube. Practice at home with either cheap heavy leader or simply some string until you get it right. Good luck out there
Thanks Riverhunter, The barbless are for the Hump, I have been using hardware on the Green. The anti-snagging still confuses me, treble allowed with a floating lure, can you use weight with it or is that just if trolling? Doesn't seem like it will do you much good just letting it float on the surface. I doubt I would use a treble anyways, always seem like a pain in the rear to remove one if they get more than one point set.

Thanks all for the info.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Dave M wrote:
riverhunter wrote:
Thanks Riverhunter, The barbless are for the Hump, I have been using hardware on the Green. The anti-snagging still confuses me, treble allowed with a floating lure, can you use weight with it or is that just if trolling? Doesn't seem like it will do you much good just letting it float on the surface. I doubt I would use a treble anyways, always seem like a pain in the rear to remove one if they get more than one point set.

Thanks all for the info.
Floating lures like plugs( brads wiggle warts etc etc) can be trolled as they dive on their own and they usually already have trebles or you can cast and retrieve and they will still dive but as soon as you add any weight to the lure those trebles need to be removed and switch with a bead chain and only one single point hook I attached a few pics so you can see what I mean by switching over to bead chain when adding weight. Keep in mind though that these lures can dive about 7 ft when trolled or cast and retrieved. These are my go to colors but experimenting never hurts and you can maybe decide which color works best for you and the conditions you fish. When casting I go as light as possible usually 10lb line and a rod that is suited for 6-12lbs as it can cast a lot further then heavier line but if you do hook up you need to play those fish in order to land them without breaking off. Either I normally don't use heavier line then 12lbs on the rivers as I enjoy the fight and excitement with the light gear
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Last edited by riverhunter on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Cool, thanks Riverhunter, I never really paid attention to this type of lure, always thought it was more for bass and such. Might have to check them out.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Dave M wrote:Cool, thanks Riverhunter, I never really paid attention to this type of lure, always thought it was more for bass and such. Might have to check them out.
Aggressive coho slam them just like they would a spinner. No doubt in mind when they hit. Steelhead also love them especially when backtrolling. Surprisingly they cast far enough to reach good holding slots. As always though this is not a magic lure and some days they will hit nothing but plugs while other days they want a more subtle approach.
Last edited by riverhunter on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:16 pm

I've heard of guys plunking them but never actually tried it myself

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:33 pm

And then other days they want anything except for what you are offering.
Thanks again.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Dave M wrote:And then other days they want anything except for what you are offering.
Thanks again.
Lol ](*,)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 am

I plunk for both salmon and steelhead. I use plugs a lot. Reverse tie a swivel to leader then tie your plug to the other end. Once you cast and your weight sticks undo the clip on the swivel , snap it back and let it slide down your line. the lip will catch the drift and take the plug down. I usually tie a piece of drifting rubber on my line to stop it so not to tangle with my spin n glo.