Getting nervous!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Blunatic
Petty Officer

Getting nervous!

Post by Blunatic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:07 pm

So the latest scuttlebutt that I heard is that they will potentially close Puget sound "and all tributaries for Coho fishing.
I really haven't had time to follow this except for what they say on the news...

Do we know if they will close PS and the rivers and how will that affect fishing for kings?

I usually get my licence as soon as I can but i figured I better wait....not sure if I will buy one at all this year.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Getting nervous!

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:02 pm

At the moment it looks like the only salmon or trout fishing will be very limited ocean seasons on the coast and in the Columbia. Probably no river fishing anywhere else at all for any salmon, stealhead or trout.

Check out some of the inks in this thread.

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... =3&t=22953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:02 pm

Waiting to see how these potential closures will affect King and Chum seasons on a few of the north sound rivers that are still open for them. Definitely going to have to pack along extra patience on the limited open areas because they will be CROWDED

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:01 pm

if the tribes are gonna fish and we are not, there will be a hay bale a day in the rivers and some lines being cut... Not to mention the many fisherman on the shores making it quite hard for the netters to work effectively.....

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:37 pm

See the thread I liked to above for details but they just announced the closure

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:35 pm

The short version:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/pugetsound_salmon_update/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:42 pm

I can't understand why one can't fish for bass or perch in Lake Wa.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Toni wrote:I can't understand why one can't fish for bass or perch in Lake Wa.
Uh huh..

And Monte Cristo lake, really? We are talking about a sub alpine lake off the Mountain loop highway.
(Think Big Four Ice Caves)

Is this a concern that Sauk river salmon are lurking in the lake. I just don't understand "full closures" on certain lakes.
The bass boys are gonna freak.

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Wow, Ok....that's a bummer!

From the WDFW page, it lists the Puyallup and below it it reads Clover creek..If I read that right... it's only open from Steilicom lake and upstream.
Is that what it's saying?
[scared]

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm with you Toni, doesn't make sense. Perhaps it's an ESA requirement or perhaps WDFW is playing games of its own here. Th This now 90 % of all the places I fish. What are the ads tourney guys gonna do?

chrome127
Petty Officer

Post by chrome127 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:24 am

Call or your email Congressman. This mostly has to do with the Tribes involved.
I know it is not much, I will boycott anything that the Tribes are involved in. (Sorry Cabelas)
Who now gets the Hatchery Steelhead headed for the Skykomish?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 01, 2016 10:52 am

Just a little cross posting from the Saltwater forum, follow the links and let your elected officials know how you feel about this.

Go here: http://www.ccawashington.org/homeThen click on the action center button and send some messages to your legislators and our Governor.

And thanks to Larry3215 the link to the PSA page.

https://www.votervoice.net/PSA/campaigns/46262/respond

It's very important to let your elected official know how you feel. Start a dialog with them, weather you voted for them or not. They are our voice and with a little encouragement they do listen.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks! I thought I posted it here too but must not have pushed SEND :)

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun May 01, 2016 1:08 pm

This year is such a disappointment........

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Sun May 01, 2016 2:46 pm

dj2loud wrote:This year is such a disappointment........
Always Alaska and BC to fish! I saw this coming unfortunately and 3 trips North are already on the books> Times a wasting!

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Mon May 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Geezus I'm pissed about this whole thing. All I want is a little CnR for trout and steelies. But, you know there will be people keeping em' anyway if its open.

There goes all my summer plans... soooo yeah Bass and SRC's it is.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Ian Horning wrote:Geezus I'm pissed about this whole thing. All I want is a little CnR for trout and steelies. But, you know there will be people keeping em' anyway if its open.

There goes all my summer plans... soooo yeah Bass and SRC's it is.
Not to mix it up further, but most of the marine areas in Puget Sound have SRC's as a CnR fishery.
Yeah, I get it, I fish for them as well. But the rationel seemed to be that it was like you were "targeting"
Coho/rezzies, etc. and if a SRC came along it was considered bycatch, and obviously we are releasing them anyway in accordance with reg.

So... My question is, if you have no legal reason to beach fish for salmon, are we legit to call SRC our bycatch?
(I'm not calling you out at all, Ian, I am a little confused on this myself.
The whole fly community onviously targets SRC, but I always saw it as a gray area--calling it bycatch.

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Mon May 02, 2016 4:36 pm

Looks like SRC are specifically mentioned in WDFW post, regulations for saltwater trout also say catch and release, nothing about it having to be by-catch. From the WDFW posting;
"Also, he said recreational fisheries in Puget Sound marine areas that are not affected by the closures include bottomfish, such as lingcod, Pacific cod and cabezon, as well as sea-run cutthroat trout and halibut. These fisheries are covered under a separate permit and are open as scheduled."

Hopefully this will come to a good conclusion for the longevity of the area fishing and will help unite the sport fishing community so there is a better voice at the bargaining tables. Too bad our licence fees do not pay for any lobbyist like WFC and the tribes have. That seems to be the only way into the politicians ear$$$.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:41 pm

I keep checking the emergency rule sections and can't find a body of water mentioned in the release, Lk WA, Lk Sammamish, Sky, Skagit with a closure listed? Just an oversight or delay by wdfw? I thought that made it official.

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Tue May 03, 2016 4:47 am

I have no intention of targeting a fish species that isn't allowed to be fished for. So, the SRC's will be the main course, and any incidental salmon or rezzies will be my by-catch. But certainly not targeted, it just so happens that the same methods for stalking SRC's works for other species as well. Hell, I often catch the "elusive" sculpin while fishing for SRCs as well.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.