Weight Size To Float Size

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

Weight Size To Float Size

Post by DannyL » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:36 pm

This is one of the main things I have issues with is figuring out what inline weight to run with a certain float size. If anyone has advice, a chart or something they could PM me or share with me it would be much appreciated.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Weight Size To Float Size

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:35 pm

run the same size inline as was the float says, on the beau macs it seems like they compensate for the bait or jig already or something because I can get like 3/4 oz of gear under a 1/2oz float of theres. other brands add up the wt and that's the size float u want, I believe your phone should have a calculator app, just open that and start computing the numbers and boom

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I use 3/4 oz clear Beau Mac floats and use a 0.4 to 0.5 oz inline weight. I typically float 1/8oz jigs, but it works well with a 1/4oz jig/4" pink worm too, so a little light or a little heavy both work well.
Last edited by BentRod on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:24 pm

BentRod wrote:I use 3/4 oz clear Beau Mac floats and use a 0.4 to 0.5 oz inline weight. I typically float 1/8oz jigs, but it works well with a 1/4oz jig/4" pink work well too, so a little light or a little heavy both work well.
I do the exact same thing with no reason to change.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:10 am

The way to figure what size of float to use first decide what gear you will be running. For example if im fishing slow moving water i usually use a 1/4 oz inline weight with eithe 1/8th or 1/16 jig to a 1/2 oz float. Same goes if i use a 3/8th inline weight. Now if i decide to use more weight or bigger jigs then i go a head and use 3/4 oz float. The basics is you are trying to match the total weight of you gear to the proper weight size float.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:40 am

I go by the old "that looks about right" method. The float should be around half way submerged if it's the long torpedo profile, 3/4 if it's the fatty style. At least, that seems to work best for me. I'll add split shot if the float is riding too high, or reduce my center weight if too low.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:21 pm

When I switched float brands I busted out a kitchen scale and starting measuring out the split shot, leader, jig, and inline weight to match the float ratings. I wanted to rig up at home and not wait til I was on the water trying different things until I found out what worked. You shouldn't have to change your float size based on the speed of the water. Spacing or alternatively clumping the split shot on your leader will account for changing water speeds and you won't have to switch out a float. Here's a website that explains shotting patterns: http://www.raventackle.com/shotting_patterns.php
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:03 pm

TyeeMatt wrote:When I switched float brands I busted out a kitchen scale and starting measuring out the split shot, leader, jig, and inline weight to match the float ratings. I wanted to rig up at home and not wait til I was on the water trying different things until I found out what worked. You shouldn't have to change your float size based on the speed of the water. Spacing or alternatively clumping the split shot on your leader will account for changing water speeds and you won't have to switch out a float. Here's a website that explains shotting patterns: http://www.raventackle.com/shotting_patterns.php

Great link. I have actually used those methods for small trout fishing but never occurred to me to try it out for steelhead.