Fish ID

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
supcoop
Angler

Re: Fish ID

Post by supcoop » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:38 pm

A very defiant crew in spite of claimed experience. How about a nail in the coffin regarding the topic at hand? Steelhead spawn timing for the area described is from March to early June. The picture shows a fish that is 1 to 3 days post-mortem and is reported to have been taken on Labor Day. That places that fish well outside of steelhead spawn timing and smack in the middle of prime Chinook spawning time. Enough or do we need to track down the carcass to pull some DNA? Tight lines.

Teenangler07nwest
Petty Officer

Post by Teenangler07nwest » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:39 am

Definitely a king salmon. I ran into this same problem two years ago swinging streamers for cutthroat on the Teanaway river in October. I hooked into a fish much bigger than a 16" cutthroat. After a prolonged battle on my 4 weight fly rod I had a big greenish bronze salmonid heavily spotted over the whole body and black gums. What the hell is a king doing on the Teanaway (near cle elm tributary of the Yakima). Turns out there are small runs of heavily spotted chinook on rivers and streams near cle elm. I hope this clears up this confusion, this fish is not a steelhead as I had initially thought in my experience but is in fact a chinook. P. S. I have had these facts confirmed. Later that same trip we ran into a couple of WDFW workers counting redds. They said these chinook could be spotted in the river spawning. I told them about my encounter and they said yes it was a chinook because the small number of steelhead that return to this area didn't show up intil December

Teenangler07nwest
Petty Officer

Post by Teenangler07nwest » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

riverhunter in all due respect this is a king the reason it is slender is because of how much energy and body fat it has burned traveling so far up the river. The heavy spotting is just charteristic to the species of chinooks in that area

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Supcoop. Excellent observation I completely overlooked the fact that he did say Labor Day time frame which in that case puts that fish closer to chinook spawning timeframe. Perhaps I was incorrect the whole time and that is a king given the time frame
Whatever it is let's just hope it was able to spawn and build up a cle elum run!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:03 pm

riverhunter wrote:Supcoop. Excellent observation I completely overlooked the fact that he did say Labor Day time frame which in that case puts that fish closer to chinook spawning timeframe. Perhaps I was incorrect the whole time and that is a king given the time frame
Whatever it is let's just hope it was able to spawn and build up a cle elum run!
There's been a run of kings up the Yak for many, many years. They seem to spawn in a bunch of the tribs. I don't believe its supported by any Hatcheries. For that matter Steelhead too. but they run in spring and summer. It's not so much the time even though it's a give away, the anal fins are totally different between Kings and Metal despite the dark color.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:04 pm

When the fish is dead or at an advanced state of deterioration, it gets harder to tell the difference. One way to tell is the tail fin. On a salmon, any of the 5 species, the front of the tail fin is a bone and you can easily lift the fish be holding it in front of the tail fin. With a Steelie, the front of the tail fin is cartilage and you can squeeze the tail fin together and it is harder to lift the fish by holding it in front of the tail fin. Also with a Chinook, it is the only salmon with black gums.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:07 pm

BARCHASER wrote:When the fish is dead or at an advanced state of deterioration, it gets harder to tell the difference. One way to tell is the tail fin. On a salmon, any of the 5 species, the front of the tail fin is a bone and you can easily lift the fish be holding it in front of the tail fin. With a Steelie, the front of the tail fin is cartilage and you can squeeze the tail fin together and it is harder to lift the fish by holding it in front of the tail fin. Also with a Chinook, it is the only salmon with black gums.
What kept leading me to believe steelie is the heavily spotted anal fin and the anal fin rays count. Also fish seems to have all white gums but that is hard to determine as the fish is decomposing. Second reason is that it looks as if it has the red stripe along lateral line and rosy cheeks like spawning steelies but again decomposition makes that harder to detect. It could just be road rash lol. The third reason was he stated that several smaller fish were lying near it but those could be jack kings also. Fourth and final reason is the snake like body. At this point it really doesn't matter what that is as by now it is long gone but one thing is certain, that this fish definitely stirred up several opinions what anglers with various experiences and skill.
Tight lines!!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:01 pm

A lot of great info either way
Last edited by riverhunter on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Since I started this thread, maybe I could ask that we just put it to sleep.😊
On a positive note, I will say that I did learn quite a bit of good information about both species.
The whole part about the number of rib... Or whatever those bony structures in fins are called. (That was very good info. at least to me, to keep in mind, in the field.
Thanks for all your input.