Fish ID

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Fish ID

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:35 pm

OK, I'll admit to not being the most experienced salmon or steelhead angler.
I was wading the main river that I fish. This is the lower Cle Elum river, just below the dam. In the fall, the dam is closed, and the river sets up nicely for wading, otherwise it is full on, and too fast.

We all know that the Yakima tribe has been re-establishing the Sockeye into the lake for some time now, and I am aware of a "Salmon run" that posts up below the dam in Sept-Oct. Although, it hasn't been made clear to me if that run is actually sockeye, or what.

Around labor day, I came across 5 spawned out fish. 4 of which were clearly smaller, 3-4 lbs. But this one attached here was quite a bit bigger. Because of the long narrow body, it looks to me like maybe a summer run steelhead??
Or do you guys immediately think it is a salmon species? Sorry, it has a little road rash on it.

I had never heard of Steelhead in the Lower Cle Elum river. The river is a tributary to the Yakima, etc.

Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_0756.JPG

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Re: Fish ID

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 pm

King(chinook)

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:03 am

I agree with that assessment. Id say chinook also.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:54 am

Actually looks more like a steelhead. Can't tell exactly since it is rotten but the gum line looks white also the anal fin on steelhead have 8-12 rays while kings have 13-19 rays

Ratherbefishing
Petty Officer

Post by Ratherbefishing » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Nook. In steel the upper jaw does not normally extend beyond the eye.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:30 pm

I would say Chinook as well, and a spawned out female at that.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks guys, interesting. This is a river that I primarily fish for small cutthroat in. Eastern WA.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:58 am

Another reason it leads me to believe it's a steelhead is that is has spots all over its body while kings do have large spots they don't normally have them below the lateral line. Most salmon don't have spots below lateral line but trout do. Also to elongated to be a king in my opinion. Also steelhead do get the jaw past the eye especially in spawning males. In ocean form they don't have that characteristic
Attachments
image.jpg
Another spawned out king
image.jpg
Spawning steelhead
image.jpg
Spawned out female king

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 am

Just bringin this topic back as i am curious to know what that fish is

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 am

riverhunter wrote:Just bringin this topic back as i am curious to know what that fish is
Not meaning to stir it up again, but since you brought it up.. I have learned that the salmon run in the river, is Chinook.
Of course that doesn't mean that there can't be a steelhead in there once in awhile, I suppose. Too me it is just that elongated body shape that made me think Steel.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 am

I would have to agree with riverhunter, looks more like steelhead then king.

supcoop
Angler

Post by supcoop » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 am

I've pulled DNA, scale and otolith samples off several hundred of those. I would say with 99.99% confidence that it is a female Chinook.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Supcoop: My inclination is to defer to your research background and personal hands on experience, I've done the same thing with Arctic Char on the North Slope, and ran a charter on Kodiak for many years. My only concerns are the heavily spotted anal fin--I've never witnessed that in a king--and I only count 11 or 12 rays in the anal fin in Quadfather's photo (I blew it up a bit). WDFW's fish ID site shows the steelhead with 8-12 rays and the chinook with 15 to 19.

In anycase it has provided interesting exchanges!

Update to this comment: after spending WAY to much time looking at photos of steelhead/chinook, and reading various ID articles, I'll defer to Supcoop and admit it's probably a chinook!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 am

The Quadfather wrote:
riverhunter wrote:Just bringin this topic back as i am curious to know what that fish is
Not meaning to stir it up again, but since you brought it up.. I have learned that the salmon run in the river, is Chinook.
Of course that doesn't mean that there can't be a steelhead in there once in awhile, I suppose. Too me it is just that elongated body shape that made me think Steel.
Do you happen to recall if the tail was forked or not? Forked indicates salmon not forked leans toward steelhead. Still can't wrap my head of it being a king on how heavily spotted it is. I've caught plenty steelhead and kings. Steelhead usually have regular spotting and kings usually have more oval shaped.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 am

Riverhunter has hit the nail on the head - or should I say tail.

Without a pic of the tail in it's entirety - all you have is a picture of a carcass is serious decay that has characteristics of both a chinook and steelhead.

Decay does odd things to a body - think about some of the marine mammals that have washed up ashore over the years in the news resembling things from myth / legend such as sea monsters, etc. Had they washed up pre decay, they would be easily recognizable.

Had the entire tail been photographed - any and all doubt would be removed, but as it is - only doubt will prevail.

OnMyGame

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:51 am

Onmygame great response and I will leave it at that.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:54 am

The Quadfather wrote:
Yes they do and I'm going to say it king too. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:02 am

How many of you saying king have actually caught one? Or a steelhead as a matter of fact? No disrespect inteded but that fish looks a lot like this steelie i caught on the columbia this november. I have never caught a king that slender nor that spotted. I think we all just want to stick with king because thats what we want it to be. Whether a run of king runs there or not doesnt lean towards just a king and realistically that fish has no resemblence to any salmon i have ever caught. Instead looks like a trout.
Attachments
IMG_0377.jpg

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:10 am

FullSizeRender.jpg

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 am

This fish is a king and is a lot darker in color. Notice the spotting isn't on the head and it isn't below the lateral line of the fish
Attachments
image.jpg