WDFW: Green River closed to Coho retention

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BentRod
Admiral

WDFW: Green River closed to Coho retention

Post by BentRod » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:51 pm

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <http://wdfw.wa.gov/>

October 15, 2015

Coho non-retention on the Green River and closure of the uppermost section of the river

Action: From the mouth of the Green River upstream to the mouth of Cristy Creek (at Flaming Geyser State Park), the daily limit is 3 adult salmon, release chinook and coho.

Additionally, on Green River from the mouth of Cristy Creek (at Flaming Geyser State Park) to the water pipeline walk bridge (1/2 mile downstream of Tacoma Headworks Dam) fishing is closed until further notice.

Effective Date: Oct.16, 2015, until further notice.

Species affected: Salmon, trout and other game fish

Reason for action: Coho broodstock collection efforts at Soos Creek Hatchery are well behind the goal. Non-retention of coho (adults and jacks) is needed to protect returning coho.

Additionally, the uppermost reaches of the Green River (upstream of Flaming Geyser State Park) needs to be closed to all fishing to protect chinook redds, as there are conservation concerns regarding the Endangered Species Act-listed chinook salmon population from the Green River.

Other information: Anglers are reminded that the Green River from the Auburn-Black Diamond Rd. Bridge to the mouth of Cristy Creek (at Flaming Geyser State Park) remains closed to all fishing until Nov. 1. Starting on Nov. 1, the coho non-retention rule cited above will apply in this section of the river as well as all downstream sections.

Information contact: Aaron Bosworth, (425) 775-1311, extension 102
Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet <http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/> for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

spokey9
Captain

Re: WDFW: Green River closed to Coho retention

Post by spokey9 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:58 pm

i suspect we'll be seeing more closures like this in the near future ](*,)
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Mouth of the Green as in the Duwi?

Farva
Angler

Post by Farva » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:29 pm

That's disappointing.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Crazy, only 650 adults and 50 jacks made it back. I really haven't noticed a lack of fish, just size. I've been catching them since the beginning of September. I was having a great year. Guess I gotta find another river.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:01 pm

losaturn wrote:Mouth of the Green as in the Duwi?
I questioned that as well since technically the Green starts at the Black River, but figured it's not worth the argument. The regs don't differentiate between the Green and Duamish for the river ID number. I'm guessing the rule change encompasses it all.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:06 pm

I shot them an email requesting clarification. The Green is for all intents and purposes closed if that's the case. All that's left are zombie pinks, and maybe some early chum.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Been waiting all season for the "upstream of aub-black diamond bridge" section to open. Ive been chasing b run coho around here for years. I can only hope this is an intelligent decision that will benefit the run in the future. I also hope the wdfw will patrol this area more, as there are already many poachers in this section.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:39 am

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:02 pm

spokey9 wrote:i suspect we'll be seeing more closures like this in the near future ](*,)
As you predicted, Stilly and Skagit will close Oct 19.

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Saw the closures report on the Stilly and Skagit about 10 minutes ago too [cursing] Couple of upriver Skagit trips were really good the past few weeks with one on Oct 25th planned along with a November date too.... Guess the party is over...........UGH [thumbdn]

lidong6
Petty Officer

Post by lidong6 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:00 pm

is it legal to catch & release?

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Post by fish vacuum » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 pm

No.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:59 pm

This is terrible news for everyone... with all these fisheries shut down the sno/sky are going to get so much pressure now... its already gotten a ton of pressure this year... this year has been a rough one for ps rivers.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:28 pm

lidong6 wrote:is it legal to catch & release?
On the Green I don't see any indication that it's illegal to catch and release Coho. They just can't be retained. However, I don't think I'd recommend actively targeting them due to the increased mortality rate. If you target Pinks or Chum though you're bound to hook a few Coho.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:13 pm

unless stated otherwise wdfw closures mean you cannot target the species in question (like coho on the green).
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Post by fish vacuum » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:19 pm

All freshwater areas are closed to targeting salmon unless specifically listed as open.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 pm

spokey9 wrote:unless stated otherwise wdfw closures mean you cannot target the species in question (like coho on the green).
Please direct me to where that rule is written. I have been unable to find it in the regs or online. Not saying it's not there, just curious where.

The problem here is that the method for targeting Pinks and Chum is the same as Coho and since the Green is still open for those strains then there is no way to differentiate.
Last edited by BentRod on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:22 pm

fish vacuum wrote:All freshwater areas are closed to targeting salmon unless specifically listed as open.
The Green has not been closed to salmon fishing, just the "retention" of Coho. Chum and Pink are still fair game.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:00 pm

It is stated in the general rules that all salmon fishing is closed unless listed specifically as being open. This means you can not target or fish for coho if the season for coho has been closed.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.