Skagit Sockeye vs Skykomish Steel

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

Skagit Sockeye vs Skykomish Steel

Post by drysuperfly52 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Calling myself a piss poor salmon fisherman would be a compliment. I managed to go 2 pink salmon seasons, 20 days on the water and nothing but a bullhead to show for it. (hopefully this year i can get at lease one)

But I refuse to give up, I have Friday morning to hit the water and feel like attempting to get a salmon. where is the best place to possibly not get skunked? I am leaning towards heading to rieter only because it is more peaceful then the drone of I5 on the bars of the skagit. I have never fished/landed a sockeye and only have 1 steelhead to my name so catching experience is not on my side.

I have been watching the cascade river escapement reports and its showing some kings have been showing up but that a long drive to get skunked.

So I ask, were would a successful salmon fisherman spend his Friday morning?
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

ripsomelip
Petty Officer

Re: Skagit Sockeye vs Skykomish Steel

Post by ripsomelip » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Not at reiter I can tell you that for sure.
hit it or quit it.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Sockeye!!!!!! Duhhh
Whats the difference between Davy Crockett and Jack Daniels? Jack Daniels is still killing indians.

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:31 am

drysuperfly52 wrote:Calling myself a piss poor salmon fisherman would be a compliment. I managed to go 2 pink salmon seasons, 20 days on the water and nothing but a bullhead to show for it. (hopefully this year i can get at lease one)

But I refuse to give up, I have Friday morning to hit the water and feel like attempting to get a salmon. where is the best place to possibly not get skunked? I am leaning towards heading to rieter only because it is more peaceful then the drone of I5 on the bars of the skagit. I have never fished/landed a sockeye and only have 1 steelhead to my name so catching experience is not on my side.

I have been watching the cascade river escapement reports and its showing some kings have been showing up but that a long drive to get skunked.

So I ask, were would a successful salmon fisherman spend his Friday morning?
Well, since you've already experienced a steelie, I'd say go for the Sockeye. Unfortunately, you won't get peaceful solitude fishing for salmon this close to Seattle. Go where the crowd is...they're there for a reason.

BTW, it's really hard to get skunked after 20 days in the water during Pink season...where did you try?

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:46 am

i tried all up and down the Snohomish by Thomas eddy park down to the "donkey show hole" both sides of the river and at different tides, on the sky behind the prison (also on both sides of the road) i have tried under the bridge at Ben Howard rd and the were the Wallace dumps into the sky. (i managed a couple absolute zombies there so quickly left and went back down stream.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:43 am

What was your setup? The easiest and cheapest way is to use the hootchie jigs (see my thread about the cheapest lure).

Also make sure you time it correctly...most of September should be good.

Hope you can catch some this year.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:02 pm

I would say skagit sockeye. The sky is so low and the few steelhead around are extremely spooky. You definitely have a better chance of bagging a sockeye.