Absolute cheapest humpy lure

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
W4y
Petty Officer

Absolute cheapest humpy lure

Post by W4y » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:47 am

What is the absolute cheapest humpy lure for rivers? I'm thinking < $1 per lure, if that's possible.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Absolute cheapest humpy lure

Post by Toni » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:04 am

Corky and yarn. Works in the Puyallup
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am

Look on Ebay. You can buy large quantities of 3/8 oz jig heads and pink hoochies (separately), which in total will come out to less than $1 each. I just saw 50 jigs for $7. Find a similar amount of hoochies and you're looking at about .25/each.

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Cozmo4196 wrote:Look on Ebay. You can buy large quantities of 3/8 oz jig heads and pink hoochies (separately), which in total will come out to less than $1 each. I just saw 50 jigs for $7. Find a similar amount of hoochies and you're looking at about .25/each.
How do you tie on the pink hoochie skirts to the jig heads? Do they just fit in place?

I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EBA ... _i=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-3-8-JIG-HEAD ... 1c540dd371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:11 pm

Toni wrote:Corky and yarn. Works in the Puyallup

But is this the cheapest? You'll need corky, hook, some yarn, weight, swivel. I can see all that < $1/setup, but will it really be the cheapest?

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:11 pm

W4y wrote:
Cozmo4196 wrote:Look on Ebay. You can buy large quantities of 3/8 oz jig heads and pink hoochies (separately), which in total will come out to less than $1 each. I just saw 50 jigs for $7. Find a similar amount of hoochies and you're looking at about .25/each.
How do you tie on the pink hoochie skirts to the jig heads? Do they just fit in place?

I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EBA ... _i=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-3-8-JIG-HEAD ... 1c540dd371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jig head goes up the skirt. Punch the eyelet through the hoochie body. Tie to main line.

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Post by SkyRiverMan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:48 pm

W4y wrote:

But is this the cheapest? You'll need corky, hook, some yarn, weight, swivel. I can see all that < $1/setup, but will it really be the cheapest?

scrap the corky, and the swivel.
weight, hook, pink yarn = pretty cheap -

Dump the spinning rod and grab a fly rod, and just the hook and pink yarn will work.

Bryce
Angler

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:51 pm

I make my own jigs. I buy a package of unpainted jigs, pink powder coat and a package of pink hootchies. I've got nearly a hundred jigs in my tackle box that I made for around $50 total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:27 pm

W4y wrote:

You said lure. Weight and swivel aren't part of the lure. Forget the yarn-Corky $ .20, hook $.50=$.70.
But if you add up line, rod, reel, license, weight, swivel, and lure it will never be under $1.00.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Treble hook with a bit of pencil lead wrapped around the shank. It's the way the natives fish...

In all seriousness, a hook with pink yarn is an inexpensive and effective lure. You can side drift it, fish it under a float, with bait or all by itself.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 pm

G-Man wrote:Treble hook with a bit of pencil lead wrapped around the shank. It's the way the natives fish...

In all seriousness, a hook with pink yarn is an inexpensive and effective lure. You can side drift it, fish it under a float, with bait or all by itself.
Funny, i see alot of non natives fish that way.

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 pm

In the trees along the river bank. Also since the rivers are low look on snags and scuba dive the river beds. Free lures/line/swivels/hooks. You can't buy a pack of hooks for less than a buck. Yard sale maybe.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:14 am

cheap.. a patch of hot pink fabric, a hook, a some kind of weight (nut, washer, split shot, whatever).

Put the fabric on the hook, put just enough weight to cast it out there about 1' above the hook. Cast out, let it sink a couple seconds, and twitch back..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:23 pm

I thought the cheapest lure was the one already in your tackle box :)

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:55 pm

John's Sporting Goods has a 10 pack of pink squid skirt jigs for $8.99

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Go to the tidal areas of the snohomish during low tide and pick all the lures you could ever want off the logs.. 100% free :)
Ive had days where i found 25 maribou jigs, 12 buzzbombs, 5 dick nights, 3 blue fox spinners, countless corkies, floats and a few brads salmon plugs in various colors, just hit all the exposed areas at peak of low tide, then during high tide , target low hanging branches and piling tops that couldnt be reached in low tide. This is best done from a kayak. Ive had days i found lures, caught my limit on them, then sold them to other anglers on the river going boat to boat and to groups of people on shore selling them for $1 each... when fishing is hot no one wants to leave their spot, if you have something they need, theyll buy it, however dirty, mangled or rusty it is. And on top of all that you are cleaning up all the garbage other fisheeman left behind, and providing a tackle delivery serviceto other anglers, so its a morally good thing to do as well!
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:01 pm

jonb wrote:Go to the tidal areas of the snohomish during low tide and pick all the lures you could ever want off the logs.. 100% free :)
Ive had days where i found 25 maribou jigs, 12 buzzbombs, 5 dick nights, 3 blue fox spinners, countless corkies, floats and a few brads salmon plugs in various colors, just hit all the exposed areas at peak of low tide, then during high tide , target low hanging branches and piling tops that couldnt be reached in low tide. This is best done from a kayak. Ive had days i found lures, caught my limit on them, then sold them to other anglers on the river going boat to boat and to groups of people on shore selling them for $1 each... when fishing is hot no one wants to leave their spot, if you have something they need, theyll buy it, however dirty, mangled or rusty it is. And on top of all that you are cleaning up all the garbage other fisheeman left behind, and providing a tackle delivery serviceto other anglers, so its a morally good thing to do as well!
A few of those maribou jigs are mine. Send them to me. 1 blue fox is mine also. [flapper] :-"

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:25 pm

Use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig with either marabou or a squid skirt. Some days one works better than the other, squid skirts can hold scent, marabou feathers can't- scent will ruin the action. They are super simple to use and don't require any fiddling with weights, current speed, or any other terminal tackle. You can sometimes find em for packs of 3 for $1.99 at Cabelas or other places. Plus they work better than most other lures on the rivers.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Ian Horning wrote:Use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig with either marabou or a squid skirt. Some days one works better than the other, squid skirts can hold scent, marabou feathers can't- scent will ruin the action. They are super simple to use and don't require any fiddling with weights, current speed, or any other terminal tackle. You can sometimes find em for packs of 3 for $1.99 at Cabelas or other places. Plus they work better than most other lures on the rivers.
I use sand shrimp oil on my maribou jigs and they out fish the ones without scent. They seem to hold their scent fine.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 pm

I tie a bit of chenille above the maribou (similar to a mini leech but in jig form) that chenille holds scent excellently and doesnt mess up the maribou tail. One could also tie a wooley bugger style jig in fl pink and scent that chenille also, same idea, both are effective.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.