Snaggers/poachers get caught!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Snaggers/poachers get caught!!

Post by AlexanderS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:14 pm

here's a story I thought you guys might be intersted in reading.first of all I want to thank WDFW for doing an amazing job on tracking these guys down,I just wish it could have been done earlier even though I know stuff like this takes a long time,it's just irritates me how much steelhead and other fish were snagged since 2011 by these idiots!!the link is below,let me know what you guys think.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201308 ... /708049963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by AlexanderS on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Snaggers get caught!!

Post by Amx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I hope all poachers get caught, sooner rather than later.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Let's hope they don't get a lenient judge. Stepchuk, a convicted felon - I wonder what other crimes he has done that he wasn't caught for?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:46 pm

This should read poachers. The snagging is the least of their offenses. Seriously. I'm glad they got 'em though.

AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Post by AlexanderS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:23 pm

natetreat wrote:This should read poachers. The snagging is the least of their offenses. Seriously. I'm glad they got 'em though.
You are absolutely right,so I corrected it:),I hope they weren't US citizens so they can be deported.honestly we don't need people like that here,not only considering the fact that they are poachers,they have past criminal history,you just can't trust people like that and the state doesn't have enough officers to go and waste our money and their time chasing guys like that.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Re: Snaggers/poachers get caught!!

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am

Story was posted over a year ago. I wonder how things turned out.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:31 am

Interesting to read the comments after the report in the link. It's fun to watch as others do battle over weather it's OK to assume that Igor and Oleg are likely immigrants from what is arguably the same country or area that most of the recently reported poachers are from. Remember back to the stories of the "Gentlemen" arrested for poaching the Lahontan Cutthroats from Lake Lenore, I believe it was, and the whitefish from Banks lake. Judging from their names, they sure sound like they are of the same background and maybe even linked in the same group. Then again, who am I to decide??

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 am

AJ dad you are correct or should I say I agree with you. I work with eastern Europeans and have had them tell me stories about filling wash tubs with trout when fishing local stocked lakes for trout. When I try to explain to them that its illegal and unethical they suddenly don't understand English very well. These folks don't understand recreational fisheries and have no respect.

W4y
Petty Officer

Post by W4y » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm

strider43 wrote:AJ dad you are correct or should I say I agree with you. I work with eastern Europeans and have had them tell me stories about filling wash tubs with trout when fishing local stocked lakes for trout. When I try to explain to them that its illegal and unethical they suddenly don't understand English very well. These folks don't understand recreational fisheries and have no respect.
I don't understand...how much fish can people eat? Wild Sea-run Cutthroat Trout are good table fare, but really, the most I can have is MAYBE a fillet once a week (Salmon might be a different story). But stocked trout, I'll only eat a few times a year. I can't imagine what I would do with 30 trout (see the most recent reports), and the mind boggles with thinking about filleting and eating a tub full of any fish. Do they really have enough friends and family to give away all these fish to?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:13 pm

They sell them. Somewhere buys it. I can see 30 trout gone in one meal with a big family. I think it is a cultural difference. Conservation and public resource management aren't the same in some of the poorer countries, and they bring that over here when they immigrate. It does seem to be a recurring theme with these high profile poaching cases.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Let's hope they don't get a lenient judge. Stepchuk, a convicted felon - I wonder what other crimes he has done that he wasn't caught for?
Well, here's what he was caught for in 1996.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=2309671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a line from the article.
Stepchuk, who is from Ukraine, was ordered to serve five years and four months in prison. He faces possible deportation.

Looks like that didn't happen.

I suppose there could be more than one Igor Stepchuk but the age of the Igor in this article lines up with the age of the one in the poaching article.
Looks like this character has a blatant disrespect for the law. I vote for deportation!

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 am

Nothing will happen to him. This state and country would rather prosecute non violent drug offenders than hard core criminals or poaching which actually impacts citizens outdoor experience and the environment. We are soft on immigrants as well. Do you think Ukraine would be soft on an American tourist breaking their laws? Not likely. We are known softies, that's why there is a flood of folks coming here to sample our wonderful public Assistance etc.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm

skagit510 wrote:Nothing will happen to him. This state and country would rather prosecute non violent drug offenders than hard core criminals or poaching which actually impacts citizens outdoor experience and the environment. We are soft on immigrants as well. Do you think Ukraine would be soft on an American tourist breaking their laws? Not likely. We are known softies, that's why there is a flood of folks coming here to sample our wonderful public Assistance etc.
Word :salut:

AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Post by AlexanderS » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes like I said it would be wonderful to have him deported.people like that don't know what a fair lifestyle is,don't know what a regular job is,just a trashy immigrant who thinks the government owes him something.im sure he broke other laws that he never got caught for,I just don't see how a person like that can maintain a fair lifestyle.please don't get me wrong-I have nothing against people that come from a different country and start working and try not to break our laws.My parents came to the U.S. in the 80's,I was born shortly after in Seattle,and the government would not give you food coupons,welfare or any other help back then,you simply come to the U.S. start working right away and enjoy life in the best country there is!,if you have great work ethic here you can always find a job and enjoy life and ofcourse get some fishing done...everyday..or try:)

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:45 am

I suppose it's important to choose words carefully, as leaving the wrong public record could one day prove unfortunate. But I will say that if I were to ever come across such activity in person, it wouldn't fish in my freezer the next morning.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:27 pm

skagit510 wrote:Nothing will happen to him. This state and country would rather prosecute non violent drug offenders than hard core criminals or poaching which actually impacts citizens outdoor experience and the environment. We are soft on immigrants as well. Do you think Ukraine would be soft on an American tourist breaking their laws? Not likely. We are known softies, that's why there is a flood of folks coming here to sample our wonderful public Assistance etc.
could not of stated it better myself!