Chromers at the hatchery

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kyamukun
Petty Officer

Chromers at the hatchery

Post by kyamukun » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 am

Went to the Issaquah hatchery and saw tons of chromers. Not sure if that's common to see so many chrome fish at the hatchery, but the worker there said that the run is definitely late and that they're expecting more fish to push up the rivers. She said they stopped counting at the locks Oct 1 at which time it was 25K. Even with a little rain last month the river levels didn't go up much, but with the rains we've been getting this week rivers have swelled. Hoping this will get them up stream and eager to bite!

Gringo Pescador

Re: Chromers at the hatchery

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 pm

kyamukun wrote:Went to the Issaquah hatchery and saw tons of chromers. Not sure if that's common to see so many chrome fish at the hatchery, but the worker there said that the run is definitely late and that they're expecting more fish to push up the rivers. She said they stopped counting at the locks Oct 1 at which time it was 25K. Even with a little rain last month the river levels didn't go up much, but with the rains we've been getting this week rivers have swelled. Hoping this will get them up stream and eager to bite!
Per the regs:
Tributaries of Lake Sammamish:
ISSAQUAH CREEK (King Co.)
Juvenile anglers only (under 15 years old).
All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Aug. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:50 pm

What's your point, Gringo? I was merely pointing out the fact that there are a lot of chrome fish in the hatchery and wondering if this is a good indication that the run is indeed late and that we can expect more coho in the rivers.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Last edited by The Quadfather on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:17 pm

kyamukun wrote:What's your point, Gringo? I was merely pointing out the fact that there are a lot of chrome fish in the hatchery and wondering if this is a good indication that the run is indeed late and that we can expect more coho in the rivers.
Relax kyamukun, I hope you are right that we get a good push of late fish into the fishable Puget Sound rivers in the next couple weeks. This is simply a public service announcement to anyone to reads this post and thinks they might want to go catch those chromers in the river before they get to the Issaquah hatchery.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

No worries, Gringo! Was just curious why you posted that. Unfortunate that there are people who have to be reminded about these things. :(