2 rods/reels to bring?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rancocasrich
Petty Officer

2 rods/reels to bring?

Post by rancocasrich » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:13 am

Folks, The forum has been very informative for me regarding my visit to NW Washington in February. I am considering bringing two rods/reels to have with me during our stay. I really like my Cabelas rod (med. wt. fast action 7') with Shimano Symertre 2500 reel w/10# line. I have several other combos to choose from. They range from ultra light to heavy duty in lengths from 5' up to surf poles. I plan to do a guided trip for steelhead and maybe walk to water for other attempts. I realize the guide will have tackle that we can use.

Can folks send opinions on this? What weight line is smart to use? Since we are coming by plane, the rods will be in the plane with me(they are 2 pc.). Thanks.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education." Mark Twain

BluRockGirl
Petty Officer

RE:2 rods/reels to bring?

Post by BluRockGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 am

I ushually take two rods to the river with me. I have two 8 1/2' foot Fenwicks, one with a spinning reel, one with a bait caster. I like a rod with some back bone for a good hook set.
I set my rods up at home the night before, putting a slip bobber/jig set up on the spinning rod, and a drift set up on the bait caster. This way I save time on rig changes.
Hope that helped a bit
It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of the same.