Community break in camera crew

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Nuts
Petty Officer

Re: Community break in camera crew

Post by The Nuts » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:12 pm

natetreat wrote:I propose that we all get together and invest in security cameras for our fishing spots that are prone to break ins. We will form a group, and post signs informing tweakers of the fact that they are being filmed, and when a break-in does occur, we'll have a phone number for the person in charge of a given camera o find the license plate of the criminal so that we can put them in jail. If we get enough cameras up we can create break in free fishing spots. We can vote and propose locations, such as reiter and sultan, or sooes creek and the ben howard area etc. Game cameras are fairly inexpensive and that way we can all fish knowing that our cars are safe, or at least we can get the tweakers off the streets.

I'm looking for volunteers to participate. If we all either go in on a camera together for our favorite fishing spots for cameras, we'll be able to cover a lot of areas that are prone to break ins. To get things started, I will deduct and financial contribution made to the effort from the cost of any trip that you book with me.

Participating volunteers:

Nate Treat Fishing
mizm05
You can add me to the list.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:50 pm

I put you up there.

soundkite
Petty Officer

Post by soundkite » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Last year, I developed a way to stop AND stop recording my GoPro cameras with a phone call (infinite range). It does require a cell phone to be connected to the camera. I developed this for remote wildlife video, but could also be used in instances where crimes repeatedly occur at a certain time and place. My system is unique in that it can lay dormant for up to several days before triggering (most cameras would not work past a few hours due to battery issues). I would hesitate to set this up for car prowling because thieves could be watching and simply steal the camera rig! However, this thread does get me thinking about security for other remote areas with poaching, illegal dumping, etc..

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Remote cameras can be monitored from a computer screen, several hundred miles away. A owner of one of the Motels in Chelan. He would monitor a live feed from his home in Shoreline, from cameras set up outside his Chelan Motel. He also monitored the same feed from inside the office in Chelan, he showed me the set up. That is some cool stuff!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Ya ya! I love it.
I've been charging down the new hobby of photography hard lately. I just bought a wireless remote for bird photography.
Sounds like u are already where I'm going. Trip sensors... Cool. [thumbup]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:18 pm

IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG (246.23 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
OK... getting this camera dialed in! If this pic posts,, check out da hair on da Chinny chin chin! (Might take a minute to re-size)

Now imagine License plates, tweeker faces, etc.
Attachments
IMG_3314.JPG
IMG_3314.JPG (240.08 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Great pix!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:29 am

I fish the Lewis street bridge area quite a bit. Ive been watching the parking area where trucks and trailers park. Ive on two days seen kids on bikes looking into parked rigs and have given them a shout at.Being that Im plunking Im right there always. Just two weekends ago The Monroe Police have been around which really curtails thievery. The Monroe police seem to be right on with coming through the lots.Good job Monroe Police.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:08 am

And good job racfish!

Trout_hunter
Angler

Post by Trout_hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:27 am

Here's a thought too...purchase a beater pickup/car to take to your fishing hole. I'm talking a beat up runner for around $500. Don't leave anything in it. Leave it unlocked (it will maybe save you a broken window when they break in only to find out there's nothing of value in there). It can still be reliable even though it's cheap and ugly. Like a good dog.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Or the old style Combi VW air cooled pickup. It had a mid section hide hole that I used to put everything I wasn't going to take out with me in. Saw evidence of the cab being searched, but nobody ever noticed that large bay in the middle.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:29 pm

The Quadfather wrote:
IMG_3308.JPG
OK... getting this camera dialed in! If this pic posts,, check out da hair on da Chinny chin chin! (Might take a minute to re-size)

Now imagine License plates, tweeker faces, etc.
I know this thread is showing its age... But... I have my eye on a 150-600mm lens, which is being released by Tamron in a couple weeks. It sucks that I believe most rivers close in just a few weeks. But never-the-less.. I have visions of hiding behind a log near the Rieter parking lot. Zooming up on these folks, and having some fun. Right now I'm learning my manual techniques.... But soon this will be interesting. I don't expect to make a dent in crime, but it's fun along the way. [thumbup]

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Is it soon yet?

In other words, anything happening?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:15 pm

fishinChristian wrote:Is it soon yet?

In other words, anything happening?
Well, I did pick up a 200mm zoom, and a 2x converter. Therefor actually over 400mm of reach considering my image sensor is 1.6 something?.... Anyhoo, My thing is just balancing family and personal time. I have no vision of putting a dent in crime by taking someone's picture, but I do want to give it a whirl. I don't even salmon fish the rivers, but I kind think it closes up there at Reiter pretty soon...