Sickening salmon snagging video

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rpbfishin
Petty Officer

Re: Sickening salmon snagging video

Post by rpbfishin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:06 pm

That kid's dad is selling them for cat food so it isn't wasteful? B.S. Maybe it wouldn't be wasteful if the kid was using them to feed his poor family (if they are even poor). Those fish are being poached. Cat food? Seriously? As in, selling them to a cat food company? Or selling them to people that cut them up and feed them to their cat? I mean, seriously. I don't get it. How does the cat food thing work?

And I don't care how accommodating he is to other anglers around him while he is poaching. There is no justifying this if he isn't trying to feed a poor family.

I am not much of a poster around here, but I am a long time member and I read these forums every single day. Sorry that my first forum post had to be brought about like this. I just really don't like hearing things like this.

soundkite
Petty Officer

Post by soundkite » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:52 pm

I guess "ceremonial fishing" has evolved a lot over the centuries! Also, I doubt these fish are getting counted by the tribal fishery as part of their quota.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

racfish wrote:Y'all can fight this till your blue in the face and nothing will change it. Fishing groups and clubs back in the 70's tried to deaf ears. We went to the Public Market that sold OP steelhead. we protested at Safeway who sold Net caught fish. The state dosent want to hear from us at all. The WDFW is run by the 4 big tribes in Washington. The Muckleshoot manage the sockeye in Lk wa. The same monitor the Duwie/ Green. So on and so on . We havent fished sockeye in Lk Wa but the Native nets go in every year. Its called Ceremonial Fishery. Personally I gave up trying to make the fishing in Wa. fair. It just wont happen. I wish you all good luck trying.
Isn't that the truth. If you send a video like this to the news outlets, you get press coverage like this - http://www.oregonlive.com/mix/index.ssf ... fresh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2 ... ing21.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tribal members are policed by tribal cops. If you cut that kids line you're most likely committing a hate crime or something. This is a battle that cannot be won by fishermen, it needs to be won by lawyers. They get their fish the way they get them. Even the tribal members are supposed to have rules, but if I were the cop arresting my brother, I'd cut him some slack. But at least I'd have the sense to bloody up his nose for being an idiot.

It's a tribal culture, you can't blame the kid, blame his parents. I'd like to find those videos the Seattyle times had about snaggers, as well as put it on the WDFW's facebook post with the wicked treble "snagger getting what he deserved" post. Video response it to their Samish River rant.

and if it wasn't a tribal kid, there are no words.

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:47 pm

that kid should be beaten to within an inch of his life with that little club of his. why nobody called the police is beyond me. as for the article nate posted regarding the natives' selling of fish i think the state should ticket them for selling on public land w/o a business license or a food handlers permit. at least "legitimize" and attempt to regulate by making it more costly to "do business"

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Hepker wrote:that kid should be beaten to within an inch of his life with that little club of his. why nobody called the police is beyond me. as for the article nate posted regarding the natives' selling of fish i think the state should ticket them for selling on public land w/o a business license or a food handlers permit. at least "legitimize" and attempt to regulate by making it more costly to "do business"
That's a little harsh man, if the story about the father and cat food is true he's a kid being actively encouraged and rewarded for the behavior by his own Dad. That's the truly sickening part to me a Dad encouraging his son to do this. Agree the kid should be punished but there are mitigating circumstances in my opinion, for the kid. No pass for the Dad if that's true.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Hepker wrote:that kid should be beaten to within an inch of his life with that little club of his. why nobody called the police is beyond me. as for the article nate posted regarding the natives' selling of fish i think the state should ticket them for selling on public land w/o a business license or a food handlers permit. at least "legitimize" and attempt to regulate by making it more costly to "do business"
You must have missed the part about them being native.......they don't have to follow rules!!!

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Perfectly normal.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm

What I want to know is why he didn't hook one every cast? When I'm fishing chum, it's crazy action and I have no trouble hooking them fair. I think if that kid learned to use a bobber and shrimp jig, he'd be able to bring home three times as many fish. Even if he was flossing, he'd do better. Snagging the way he's doing it isn't even the most efficient way to catch them!

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Looks like the Skokomish to me. The kids a Native they do it all the time and are allowed to do it.

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 pm

NO RESPECT [cursing]

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Its never going to change. The state is in bed with the indians, they give millions of dollars every year to people they want in office. They can do whatever they want with their half of the fish. The indians up on the skagit do not even use the fish they kill, piles of dead chums and silvers line the banks and woods every fall

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm

looks almost like 80 percent of the regular skok anglers, he just forgot his black yarn at home. furthermore his leader seems a touch short.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 pm

skagit510 wrote:looks almost like 80 percent of the regular skok anglers, he just forgot his black yarn at home. furthermore his leader seems a touch short.
Missed ya! [thumbsup]

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 pm

it is an unreal video though. i can hardly believe no one said anything. that's kinda how it goes though, the whole shock value almost renders one unable to deal effectively. the fact he's a kid too has got to be a strange dynamic. i also agree with Nate in the fact i bet a decent legal angler could fill that ditch faster by conventional weaponry, not like those things don't bite. I mean they will take a crushed beer can tumbling in the current.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:45 pm

http://www.skokomish.org/2013%20Harvest ... Gminor.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tribe has rules and regulations too. The kid was breaking state laws AND tribal regulations. Would somebody please call the cops on guys like this. The Skokomish tribe is a joke.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:42 am

Weekend-warrior17 wrote:
skagit510 wrote:looks almost like 80 percent of the regular skok anglers, he just forgot his black yarn at home. furthermore his leader seems a touch short.
Missed ya! [thumbsup]

really?

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 am

Hepker wrote:that kid should be beaten to within an inch of his life with that little club of his.
So you're supporting beating kids to within an inch of their life? I'm surprised no one has said anything yet about that over the top remark.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:54 pm

i think by the way he "dispatches his catch" he is likely no stranger to a parental beating or abusing

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Alright im gunna play a little devils advocate. Being as about 90 percent of my family is of native origin. Imagine if you lost everything, I mean everything, not just your land but your culture, your entire way of life. Thats what happened, ive been told stories of my family going to school and being beat for speaking their native tongue or using their "pagan names. Then imagine throwing alcohol on that fire. Alot of their identity is gone forever and can never be recovered. The dispair of these people is something most will never understand. When you have had everything you are and have ever been taken from you you become soulless and lost. You lose respect for everything as a cycle of depression and violence are your daily existence. Your attitude becomes take all you can because thats all your gunna get. So after generations of getting s&%\ on in every was possible this 8s what we get. Do they abuse our resources hell yes they do! And I have alot of heated debates with family about it. But before you throw judgment on it think about where and how you live. Pretty nice place right? I think we got the better end of that deal. We got their land and destroyed their culture and all it cost us is half the fish.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:16 pm

spoonman wrote:Alright im gunna play a little devils advocate. Being as about 90 percent of my family is of native origin. Imagine if you lost everything, I mean everything, not just your land but your culture, your entire way of life. Thats what happened, ive been told stories of my family going to school and being beat for speaking their native tongue or using their "pagan names. Then imagine throwing alcohol on that fire. Alot of their identity is gone forever and can never be recovered. The dispair of these people is something most will never understand. When you have had everything you are and have ever been taken from you you become soulless and lost. You lose respect for everything as a cycle of depression and violence are your daily existence. Your attitude becomes take all you can because thats all your gunna get. So after generations of getting s&%\ on in every was possible this 8s what we get. Do they abuse our resources hell yes they do! And I have alot of heated debates with family about it. But before you throw judgment on it think about where and how you live. Pretty nice place right? I think we got the better end of that deal. We got their land and destroyed their culture and all it cost us is half the fish.
I'm totally against the sentiments on here about beating the kid and insulting him etc. The kid is doing what he was taught to do.

The plight of the folks on the reservation is pretty bad. The lifestyle that they've been in for so long is one of cyclical poverty, abuse and addiction. I have friends in the Squaxin tribe, as well as you, and I used to do plumbing work on the Skokomish and Chehalis reservations with my dad. My own family was a victim of that sort of discrimination being Suquamish and Duwamish, I'm white enough that nobody can tell I'm native, but my grandmother grew up on the reservations of other tribes because our tribe never had one. It's a bad situation.

It's not just in the areas of fisheries where there is an abundance of corruption within the tribes. It's a lot of political messes that have happened. It's not even just in the Pacific Northwest tribes either. There isn't enough accountability, and there is plenty of anger and resentment within the tribal community to go around. I don't think that my grandmother would be proud of me if I was snagging fish like that though, and I don't think that kids father should be either. He should teach the kid how to catch them legally, or at least teach him to be a pro flosser. If he doesn't have a dad, I'll show him the ropes for free. But just because someone is stuck in a bad situation doesn't mean that they're entitled to live outside the laws that govern both state and tribal areas.