Snohomish River Opener - Let's catch some pinks!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Snohomish River Opener - Let's catch some pinks!

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I fished the opener today, launched at Lowell, and the fish really aren't there yet. Good news is that some were caught, there were a lot more rollers than you're expect this early, and they are on their way!

I'll be fishing the Snohomish for these guys soon, last pink year it started to put out 4 star days around the 15th, and I'm already booking trips after that. I'll be running trips for pinks at 250 for the boat, up to three people, and I'll run singles for 175, and we'll catch some fish for sure. The Humpy Special! Lots of them. A lot and a lot of fish! So send me an email or give me a call and we'll plan ahead to get you on some nice bright fish in style!! We'll get you off the bank and on a whole mess of them.

donater
Warrant Officer

Re: Snohomish River Opener - Let's catch some pinks!

Post by donater » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm

i covered a ton of water on the snoho today, even in the estuary below the train bridge and didnt see a single school of them yet.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

There were a few fish, but I'm not running trips until the 15th. Until then, I'm going to be on the Sky killing TONS of steelhead, and on the Skok killing TONS of kings. If you want to come with, I've got a couple of days open. Look at the report history for the Snohomish, and you'll see that around the 15th of August it goes from two start days to limits right away.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm

There was a nice push of fish that came up with the incoming tide the resulted in 4 hookups by us on the river. its still super early for these fish!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:There was a nice push of fish that came up with the incoming tide the resulted in 4 hookups by us on the river. its still super early for these fish!
It was cool seeing you out there, although we didn't officially "meet". I had one take down on a plug that didn't stick, I don't know if it was anything big. But for these fish, when they show up, they show up, and that is going to be any day now.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:52 am

Little bit O rain today. Don't know if it's going to be Snoho or a Skagit. The red boat is coming out to dust the cob webs off.. [biggrin]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

Bodofish wrote:Little bit O rain today. Don't know if it's going to be Snoho or a Skagit. The red boat is coming out to dust the cob webs off.. [biggrin]
From what I'm hearing in the other posts, you're definitely going to want to fish the skagit. Apparently the Skagit is on FIRE. There are no fish in the Snohomish. :-$

Saintm1466
Angler

Post by Saintm1466 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:51 am

Wondering from you experienced guys out there with boats, do you think I'll have any issues with my 13ft livingston and a 10hp on the lower snohomish? Planning on launching from Langus park I believe it is and fishing up some from there. Any advice would be nice! Thanks in advance

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:18 am

natetreat wrote:It was cool seeing you out there, although we didn't officially "meet". I had one take down on a plug that didn't stick, I don't know if it was anything big. But for these fish, when they show up, they show up, and that is going to be any day now.

Yea we had to load up and burn outta there. Sweet looking drifter though! Gonna have to get in that bad boy one of these days

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 am

Saintm1466 wrote:Wondering from you experienced guys out there with boats, do you think I'll have any issues with my 13ft livingston and a 10hp on the lower snohomish? Planning on launching from Langus park I believe it is and fishing up some from there. Any advice would be nice! Thanks in advance
You will be fine all the way to the pilchuck, just watch for snags especially at low tide

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:27 am

I was thinking of dropping in my 18 ft Seaswirl and maybe fishing up to just a mile below the town of Snohomish. I seem to remember big boats going that far up. Gotta watch for pilings for sure.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:43 am

a prop boat can make it from langus on up to the pilchuck no problems.. on low tide you gotta watch for a couple surfacing logs around the mouth of the ebey slough and a couple other hidden logs along the way.. but there is no skinny water to watch for really until you are past town.. all the pilings are off to the sides, stay in the middle or just off from middle if you're nervous.. water levels are good right now in the lower.. no worries in the seaswirl, Mike..

I've made it to thomas eddy from cady park in my prop boat.. go up at high tide and down at low.. ;) only a few dings on the prop.. we are of the adventurous nature.. :) [thumbsup]

\m/

Saintm1466
Angler

Post by Saintm1466 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:29 pm

spoonman wrote:
Saintm1466 wrote:Wondering from you experienced guys out there with boats, do you think I'll have any issues with my 13ft livingston and a 10hp on the lower snohomish? Planning on launching from Langus park I believe it is and fishing up some from there. Any advice would be nice! Thanks in advance
You will be fine all the way to the pilchuck, just watch for snags especially at low tide
Sounds good, thanks for the info! This will be my first yr on my "own" boat, I know I wont be breaking any sound barriers with a 10hp but just wanna put some fish in the boat. I usually fish with my father when he doesn't have clients and he runs a 23ft alumaweld super v so I'm obviously used to more power on the rivers. Correct me if i'm wrong but Pilachuck dumps out right after Cady park in snohomish right? Been awhile since Ive been that far down the river we usually fish up by the confluence and just below 522. Can't wait to put fish in the boat!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes, that's correct. I wouldn't try and go any further than the Pilchuck, the water gets real shallow real fast and the sticks and pilings get very hard to see.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Well I went up and got a steelie this morning and decided to take my girls out on the lower after some more smoker fodder. Nada,zip,zilch.....I'm going back to the skagit.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Glad I drove up north. Think I'll do the same tomorrow. It sure wasn't "On Fire" but we did catch fish. Very feisty bucks, both over 7# dressed. Lost a few do to over exuberance, their lower jaws are pretty soft. If you get a hook through the upper jaw, they're on! Rather aerobatic. They may not be the best table fair but they sure are fun to catch, saw a couple fellows making the rounds and checking punch cards...... don't forget......

Saintm1466
Angler

Post by Saintm1466 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Bodofish wrote:Yes, that's correct. I wouldn't try and go any further than the Pilchuck, the water gets real shallow real fast and the sticks and pilings get very hard to see.
Roger that, Thanks for the info! [thumbup]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:20 am

Tons of water suited for a prop on the Snohomish, there are a few stretches with easily avoidable logs, but other than that you'll see some crazy big boats in there. Any day now there will be tons of pink in there, they're killing them on possession right now, Shipwreck too, and in a week there will be pinks like piranhas!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Another thing the Snohomish river is good for. Big Crawdads!
1009827_10153077202130417_84779957_n.jpg
1009827_10153077202130417_84779957_n.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
549535_10153077202940417_665737009_n.jpg
549535_10153077202940417_665737009_n.jpg (112.01 KiB) Viewed 4188 times

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Craw boil. Heck ya