How do I not get skunked

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: How do I not get skunked

Post by racfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 am

If you dont want to get skunked find another sport. Im just a average Joe that has on day a week to fish. Usually Sat or Sun. The rivers are packed by 6:00 am .When I get there I usually fish anywhere that isnt taken. On average I catch a half doz steelies a year with about half being returned.That fisheing steelies. Id love to fish during the week but with business I just cant do it. I take what I can. Any day fishing is better then not fishing. When I catch ,Awesome. When I dont catch its still Awesome. Its a win win thing either way for me.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm the same, I just really want to catch a Steelie!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm

I've found the best way to not get skunked, is to not go fishing. But I can't do that, so that is why I get skunked so often. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Haha good answer! Guess I just gotta keep tryin

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am

When I was at Western the Nooksak was an awesome river. Its netted pretty hard. Yet fish make it.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Don't worry! Swanny's a nice guy! he'll put you on the fish!
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Duncan Dharkeez wrote:I have never once had a client not hook up with me on a trip, in fact I have never had a client not limit out with me on a trip!!!

I have a few secrets to my success but the bottom line is that Skunking does happen, I would be lying if I said I had never been skunked, just not on a trip with a client.
Same here. If the fishin is gonna be slow i tell my guys to reschedule to avoid skunks!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
Duncan Dharkeez wrote:I have never once had a client not hook up with me on a trip, in fact I have never had a client not limit out with me on a trip!!!

I have a few secrets to my success but the bottom line is that Skunking does happen, I would be lying if I said I had never been skunked, just not on a trip with a client.
Same here. If the fishin is gonna be slow i tell my guys to reschedule to avoid skunks!
thanks for proving my point haha
Swanny is a pretty good guide, never booked with him but have seen a few times on the satsop putting a hurt on those big hooknoses.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:21 am

So far being skunked is all i know with steelhead, still trying to catch my first. Landed one that a guide hooked, lots of fun, but cant count it as mine since i didnt hook it. I'm very new to steelheading though, bank fished on my own 3-4 times this year so far and this is my 1st year trying it. I'll take any and all advice you all are willing to give, especially bank access locations, they can be tough to figure out for a newbie. I dont care what river it is, if you're willing to share, i'll gratefully take the info. PM me if you dont want it public, i dont know a lot of other steelheaders so the information will stay with me. Info on salmon locations would be awesome too, i plan on trying for them too and want to start gathering info now.

Fishenfreak-I will be giving you a call soon to book a trip, i think a day with you teaching me the basics will be well worth it!

Tight lines all!

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:47 am

Gotta add here, any guide that tells you they haven't been skunked hasn't been doing it for too long. It happens to all guides, and to think that it doesn't you are just putting on your rose colored glasses. Guides do well because they are on the river more often than not and learn where the fish are in different conditions. If you are a guide and haven't been skunked, you will be one day. There are exceptions, fishing zones where you can catch undesirable fish in large quantities or those who simply fishthe peaks of the runs. Even then however there is more than a chance for failure.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 am

jd39 wrote:So far being skunked is all i know with steelhead, still trying to catch my first. Landed one that a guide hooked, lots of fun, but cant count it as mine since i didnt hook it. I'm very new to steelheading though, bank fished on my own 3-4 times this year so far and this is my 1st year trying it. I'll take any and all advice you all are willing to give, especially bank access locations, they can be tough to figure out for a newbie. I dont care what river it is, if you're willing to share, i'll gratefully take the info. PM me if you dont want it public, i dont know a lot of other steelheaders so the information will stay with me. Info on salmon locations would be awesome too, i plan on trying for them too and want to start gathering info now.
took me 5 seasons to land my first never booked a guide or anything just patience and the will to learn and catch a steelhead. Just learn the runs on some rivers, fish major producing rivers like the skook, cascade, sky, cow, bogy ect and use proven tactics like float and jig and downsizing gear will get you more hits during clear water.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 am

Ive been fishing steelies for 50 something years.Ive had two punch card years and Ive had no punch years. When I started fishing there was a 3 fish limit. Most all fish were natives if not all. Fishing for me isnt about catching,its about participating.My health aint the greatest so I usually plunk. I cant drift on my own anymore. I need someone with me. Ive never been on a guided trip in my life.I like finding the fish on my own. I dont want someone say cast here cast there,Let me set the hook,I'll net it. Guides are cool but I want to catch my fish on my own. If I dont catch its totally ok by me. I go to my spots that I like. I build a fire on cold days, I cook food on the river.Im out there to chill and relax. Fishing is my escape.Catch or not I never have stopped and if I have to go in a wheelchair I will. Good luck to all.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm

jd39 wrote: I'll take any and all advice you all are willing to give, especially bank access locations, they can be tough to figure out for a newbie.
Im sure people are more then willing to share. But I think you should stop being lazy and research yourself. Im not tryng to be rude but its easier and faster to search the web for your own info. Theres more then a couple websites like this FULL of river locations, lures, scents, basic how to rig up this and everything else you could ever need.
If you know what to use and how to rig/fish it, go to the river and scout around, find a hole and fish! You can ask and read questions all you want, they only help so much. NOTHING beats actual time on the water for experience.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
jd39 wrote: I'll take any and all advice you all are willing to give, especially bank access locations, they can be tough to figure out for a newbie.
Im sure people are more then willing to share. But I think you should stop being lazy and research yourself. Im not tryng to be rude but its easier and faster to search the web for your own info. Theres more then a couple websites like this FULL of river locations, lures, scents, basic how to rig up this and everything else you could ever need.
If you know what to use and how to rig/fish it, go to the river and scout around, find a hole and fish! You can ask and read questions all you want, they only help so much. NOTHING beats actual time on the water for experience.
We have a BINGO. FNF you said it bro. When I want to find a answer I go to the river or wherever and watch. I learn from watching others do what I want to do. Youre pretty sprite for a young guy. [thumbsup]

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:57 pm

jd39 wrote:So far being skunked is all i know with steelhead, still trying to catch my first. Landed one that a guide hooked, lots of fun, but cant count it as mine since i didnt hook it. I'm very new to steelheading though, bank fished on my own 3-4 times this year so far and this is my 1st year trying it. I'll take any and all advice you all are willing to give, especially bank access locations, they can be tough to figure out for a newbie. I dont care what river it is, if you're willing to share, i'll gratefully take the info. PM me if you dont want it public, i dont know a lot of other steelheaders so the information will stay with me. Info on salmon locations would be awesome too, i plan on trying for them too and want to start gathering info now.

Fishenfreak-I will be giving you a call soon to book a trip, i think a day with you teaching me the basics will be well worth it!

Tight lines all!
Sounds good! I can show ya what you need to catch fish, and the places to be fishin!
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:
You may not be "trying" to be rude but you failed, here's a hint, don't presume to know anything about anyone from one post. I do search the web, have purchased river maps to research possible access locations and get on the water as much as i can. You didnt tell me anything i didn't already know with those "insights", actually fishing is the best way to learn about fishing? You dont say....
I believe self motivation combined with the willingness to listen from those that know more / have more experience than you is the best way to go about learning anything. If a more experienced angler wants to help me out i'm grateful for it, if they don't, that's fine too, it wont stop me from trying. Hence my trips to rivers this year with very little know how, just motivation and wanting to be on the water learning. Hell i'll go to water just to be around it, i love it out there, work and other responsibilities prevent me from being out as much as i want.
I dont like drama and not looking for a fight, you called me lazy without knowing the 1st thing about me, thought that warranted a response. I will ask for advice in the future on this site, if that bothers you please feel free to not respond to me. Thx

lost360
Petty Officer

Post by lost360 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 pm

I jest chatted up the old guys when I started then took it from there

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Thx lowholer4life! Tight lines, hope i run into you sometime on a river!

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey jd39 - Hope this helps.... Good Luck

When scoping out a river I start with google maps satellite view and zoom in and scope out the river and you will see where you might access the river for fishing. I load the areas that interest me into my GPS, load my gear into my truck and off I go... Go over the maps seveal times, I have missed a few spots.

Most people are very friendly on the rivers, watch them, talk to them, you will learn lots about fishing and areas to fish.

River Flows - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/rt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Washington State Hatchery Escapement Reports.