Wanna/Need to catch my first steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Wanna/Need to catch my first steelhead

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 pm

yeah same here especially on the skook... :-"

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

The maxi jigs are not my favorite by any stretch, actually my least favorite jig right now. I also believe the nightmare color is an over used cliche'. There are far superior color combos out there that produce far better for me personally. I will put my hand ties or my Beau Mac SMJ 10 against a nightmare any day... yes even in low water. Back to the orignal topic though since this one has veered WAAAY course. Learn where steelhead lay, fish for them in favorable conditions and I'm certain you will solve the mystery that is plauging you. Contrary to popular belief steelhead did not graduate from Harvard. They follow patterns and their behavior is somewhat predictable. That being said once you hook and land one you will understand why I spend days on the river fishing for them in the most inclimate weather. I have been fishing for them since I was very young, 6 or 7 I think. I have fished the mighty Clearwater and the most subdued creeks out there all for the chance to see the flash of silver in that emerald green. Get out on the water and put your time in, thats what it boils down to.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 pm

With what I've learned here over the past few days and the fact that I have fished for steel before I am certain I will hook into one or two this winter. Hopefully some nice big hatchies!

I do have a simple question, when I use the jig and bobber set up while floating, do I have to use a bobber stop or can I just use a small split shot? Or will the split shot mess with the drift?
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm

DannyL wrote:With what I've learned here over the past few days and the fact that I have fished for steel before I am certain I will hook into one or two this winter. Hopefully some nice big hatchies!

I do have a simple question, when I use the jig and bobber set up while floating, do I have to use a bobber stop or can I just use a small split shot? Or will the split shot mess with the drift?
It would be best to use a bobber stop above and split shot below. But, i normally just use those cheap adjust-a bubble floats. Since they do not need a stop you just twist them a little and they stay on. Only flaw, its not as easy to set depth so you gotta use a longer leader.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 pm

See with kings, silvers and chum I don't ever use a leader, so it's really new to me with the whole bobber stop and leader and all that.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:34 pm

DannyL wrote:See with kings, silvers and chum I don't ever use a leader, so it's really new to me with the whole bobber stop and leader and all that.
Oh, yeah..I actually try to stay away from a float needing a bobber stop cause i dont like them. My rigs is just: a adjust-abubble clear float(The larger sized one) on the mainline, a size 12-10 snap swivel, above that 2 split shots and below that about 3-5 foot of leader(Tied to jig of course) attached to the swivel. Pretty simple really. Though that set up doesn't work too well for floating eggs.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 am

Going Friday with some buddies of mine, we will see what's going on