Wanna/Need to catch my first steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zefsidefishing
Warrant Officer

Re: Wanna/Need to catch my first steelhead

Post by zefsidefishing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:39 am

seems like you got the right tackle, personally ive spent so much time floating jigs and nothing, seen all the guys do it with no luck, but drifting the pegged rocket red corkie with a toothpick, and some shrimp stank, me and all my buddies limit out. anywhere at reiter , or tokul area

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:00 am

DannyL wrote:Did some minor shopping tonight, got some pink beau macs marabou steelhead jigs. They are a hook size 2 and weight 1/8oz. Then I got some danielson salmon/steelhead drift rigs that have 2 small pink beads, red corker, orange and yellow yarn that's tied together with a red hook. Hope someone has good news that these will work with some sand shrimp
Just buy some flourocarbon and #2 hooks with pink and orange corkies and tie your own leader set-ups, probally a lot cheaper, but I am liking the jigs just make sure you get some nightmares too.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 am

Now the nightmare is what color, I was asking the fishing guy last night and he had no idea what I was talking about
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 am

Black with a splash red, purple or pink in the middle.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:38 am

They had those in corkies, didn't see any in jig form

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm

A nightmare is a white head with red body and a black tail, deadly on many river, my best producer for steelhead

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 pm

brat bonker is correct on the nightmare colors. There is no pink or purple in a nightmare jig. Nightmare has white red black only.

google nightmare jig and you will see what they look like.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I have heard rumors of a daymare jig, is this true and what does it look like, I am very curious.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Sorry guys but so wrong on the nightmare colors. Do I need to start posting links?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:59 pm

So I go buy all the nightmare jigs and corkies and they aren't the right colors? You have to be kidding lol

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:31 pm

DannyL wrote:So I go buy all the nightmare jigs and corkies and they aren't the right colors? You have to be kidding lol
There isn't a nightmare colored corkie that i know of though. It should say nightmare on the package the jig was in though. I'd post a picture of a nightmare jig, but all my jigs are in the back of a half destroyed truck.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Not what all nightmare jigs look like, but heres a picture of some different patterns of brad's(Brand) nightmare jigs.
Attachments
nightmare jigs.jpg
nightmare jigs.jpg (5.55 KiB) Viewed 2300 times

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I saw the nightmare colored corkies at Walmart. Pea sized with just black and red blotches.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm

DannyL wrote:I saw the nightmare colored corkies at Walmart. Pea sized with just black and red blotches.
Oh, i know what your talking about i think. I like those corkies. Were they called nightmare though?

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

No, nothing actually said "nightmare" on it. But it's all the color pattern that bonker mentioned. The brand name on these corkies is "lil corkies"

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm

DannyL wrote:No, nothing actually said "nightmare" on it. But it's all the color pattern that bonker mentioned. The brand name on these corkies is "lil corkies"
Oh, well then i'm sure the jigs/corkies are fine. There really isn't a right or wrong color of jig. Most or all colors work. Just gotta switch jigs if you aren't catching fish on one. Or after you catch a few fish switch to a new jig. I usally start with one color make around 15-20 casts with it then switch to another color. Start with one dark color, then next try a brighter color or the other way around. For instance, if your using a black and pink jig and not getting fish, then switch to like a peach or pink and white jig, then to say..A red jig. Atleast thats what i would recommend doing.

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 pm

One of the first mass porduced Nightmare jigs is Docs Bugger jig. There are nightmare series jigs however the orignal is Red white and black. Three primary colors, anything added is a variation on the nightmare. #63 in the Aero-jig hackle series is probably the most popular, johns jigs makes a nightmare that is excellent as well. Other good colors are Beau Macs smj10 and 13. The beau mac smj serious has put a ton of fish on the bank for me personally. 1/8 oz is really the only size you need. Pair it with a 3/8 bobber and go to town.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm

lil corky by wardens(yakima bait) version or what they call nightmare is pictured below. No white in it, but this is what they call nightmare. I think I have seen some that fit the nightmare description better.
nm-06.jpg
nm-06.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 2282 times

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm

you guys are leaving out the true creater of the nightmare, casey of fish doctor jigs, those nightmare jigs slay I gotta put that out there, did damage with those micros on cow summer runs this year.
I believe yakima bait co makes "nightmare" maxi jigs and "nightmare" lil corkies now but not sure if they have the white though.
Anyone have any luck with the nightmare maxi jig, I have one but never has used it.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Brat Bonker wrote: Anyone have any luck with the nightmare maxi jig, I have one but never has used it.
I have a few, that i've tried using a few times. Didn't catch any fish. I mostly use aero-jig nightmare jigs.