steelhead float reel

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dan Boone
Lieutenant

steelhead float reel

Post by Dan Boone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:17 pm

My reel broke a while ago, it wasn`t even a proper one, just took it off a $30 combo. Put some braid on it and called it good. It worked, but I`m looking to purchase something a little more suitable for my applications. However I`d like to keep it fairly cheap, something like 30 bucks. Anyone know of any good models?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: steelhead float reel

Post by Bodofish » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:28 pm

I say save your pennies and get nice reel. You can get a Shimano Smyetre, 3000 size for around $100 and I guaranty you'll never look back. You'll be saving for that really nice/good piece of hardware. In the end you'll buy a reel that will last you for years and years and you'll be happy with no excuses for a rotten reel. Remember, you pay for the drag. On the other had I do have a nice chinese reel I paid like $25 bucks online for and it has 11 or 12 SS BB's and it works quite nice, but it's still not in the league with a $100 Shimano.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I use the shimano sienna 4000(Spinning reel) and that works pretty well. Not a bad reel for the price($40), and i have yet to break one. I'm sure you could get something better though. But for a reel under 50$ its not half bad. I try to go on the slightly cheaper side though, in case i mess up my reel or get sand in it, then its not a big loss of money.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:01 pm

I would buy a nice reel, but the problem is I literaly can`t afford to spend $100 dollars on one, not having any reliable source of income :-({|= .However, I`ll probably buy one sometime in the next few years.BlakeP- I`ll look into the Sienna next time I`m at Cabela`s. It sounds like it might be what I`m looking for.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 pm

I like Pfueger Presidents. If you can wait until the end of Jan and go to the Sportsman Show in Puyallup you might get a better reel for what you can spend.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 pm

No, I was planning on getting one sometime within a week or so. But I will look into them, though.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:55 pm

the sienna is very descent for the money.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Siennas. are pretty good, mine is just now crapping. out. and you can get them for like 29$ but since I got a pflueger. president I would never buy a sienna. again. also good news, pflueger. is putting out some newer stuff so their presidents are running about $59. Pfluegers are also super light weight.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:50 pm

I have never tried a pflueger, but slways seem to hear good things about them. I will have to give them a try sometime.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:41 pm

PM sent Dan.
Mav

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Shimano makes a good product, however don't go Sienna, go Sedona for a couple bucks more. The Sienna has too much plastic in it for my tastes. A GREAT reel for the price is the Pflueger Trion. It's priced at 39 dollars. I own a president, sedona, sienna, and a trion. Out of them all my trion is nearly 8 years old and has fought thousands of salmon and steelhead. Once you do step up a level or two avoid the Symetre unless they rework the gearing, they have a nasty problem with the gears breaking. The Sahara is a solid choice for a little less or the Shimano Saros for a little more. The Saros has been reworked and is a sweet little reel. It has the ship X tech on the gearing and the paladin gear durability enhancement. PHENOMINAL REEL for the dough. Just my two cents.

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I am very versed on reels and rods and if you have any questions I am more than happy to help.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Is there even such thing as a 30$ reel thats not on a scooby doo rod? Lol. First decent reels start at 50-60$
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

BNRSteel
Petty Officer

Post by BNRSteel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Pflueger trion. They are 39.99 abd bullet proof. Trust me on this one, decent and 40 bucks.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:59 pm

ok you said $30 aint goin a dime over.....cant beat wallymart plenty of reel at 30$ mitchll reel and cardinal and others... there go you answer money back garentee 90 days :tongue: ..i actually baught a cardinal 2500 model lasted 6 yrs still works ok paid $19 caught everything from stripers to steelhead and montana trouts weird how it held up :scratch:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 pm

I am becomeing a big fan of Quantum reels and they are 50% off @ auburn sports and Marine and also I believe wholsale sports in Federal Way...

And WholeSale Sports has a lot of reels on sale right now and rods. I am good with reels at the moment I want to swap a couple of my Shimano reels for smaller ones. But I like the Sahara line up Saros little more but comes with 2 spools so that a big plus but both over the 30.00 limit...

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:08 am

Daiwa Regals are decent and $25 at Big5, plus it comes with a free spare spool.. Keep the bearings oiled, the gears greased, & dirt/sand/saltwater out of it...& it should last you a while.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 am

I fish the sedonas as my all around reels. They work well for me for about 4 months, and then they crap out. But four months with me is 4 years for most guys I guess. The Sienna however, is garbage. I got one because it was last minute and one of my reels died, and it didn't even fish one day before the gears started freezing from the cold. The bearing rusted out, its drag died and then it stopped working all together. If you want a good reel for the money, you'll be spending about 40-50 on it, otherwise you're going to be disappointed with its performance. But you'd be surprised at what you can afford if you save your pennies. for the price of a coffee or an energy drink a day, you can save up enough for a stradic in a month. Take a few less trips to the river, and that gas money will turn into a good setup. Mow a couple of lawns, or rake some leaves and you'll have enough to put a rod on the shopping list to boot.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:33 am

hit up ebay... i have bought 4 good reels reels from there since July ...
abu garcia revo sx for 64.00
Lews tournament speed spool 85.00
lew's speed spool at 7.1 to 1 retrieve 70.00
Okuma trios high speed spinning reel 57.00
Okuma Trios 40.00

the abu garcia and the tournament were used... the others were brand new... just got to watch the shipping charges...

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 am

I think what Dan is saying, is he wants to go fishing....needs a reel....has $30...what reel should he get????There are ones out there that will last a bit at the price of $30. Will it be a last forever reel?? NO! But I think he want to fish this season and this season is here. Let's try not to discourage the guy by making it sound like if he buys a $30 reel it will only last one day. Hell buy it at walmart, keep the reciept and take it back if it stops working. We all know that you can spend a fortune on a reel but you DO NOT have to, to catch fish. The guy has a limited budget and wants to go fishing!!! pisses me off when every(or most of the replies)are making it sound like if he doesn't spend $50 or $100 on a reel he will be wasting his time. Let's try and give the guy positive info not make him feel like if he can't spend more not to waste his time. just sayin..
Some replies have been helpful and thanks to those of you.