Wallace River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Re: Wallace River

Post by hanapaa808 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:45 am

Please correct me if im wrong, but aslong as your in the river, property owners cant mess with you. Property owners do not own the river therefore you can walk up the river all you want.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:46 am

i bet a couple days of a sting operation would flush out a few of those tweekers... i'm always nervous parking down there by the railroad where you can walk down the tracks towards the mouth.. the wallace is a beautiful river, with waders you can tromp almost the whole thing from the mouth to the hatchery.. the fish in there love the floss.. :pirat: :-" don't yank until it yanks you... [tongue]

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 am

oneshot wrote:i bet a couple days of a sting operation would flush out a few of those tweekers... i'm always nervous parking down there by the railroad where you can walk down the tracks towards the mouth.. the wallace is a beautiful river, with waders you can tromp almost the whole thing from the mouth to the hatchery.. the fish in there love the floss.. :pirat: :-" don't yank until it yanks you... [tongue]
It wouldnt be tough to set up a sting operation, just set a bait car, put a trackable GPS on the dash, and then wait. It'd be just like fishing.

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

oneshot wrote:i bet a couple days of a sting operation would flush out a few of those tweekers... i'm always nervous parking down there by the railroad where you can walk down the tracks towards the mouth.. the wallace is a beautiful river, with waders you can tromp almost the whole thing from the mouth to the hatchery.. the fish in there love the floss.. :pirat: :-" don't yank until it yanks you... [tongue]

Yeah I feel the very same about the Wallace, beautiful. It's low enough in the summer to almost walk without waders by that railroad track. I wish there was a sting operation specifically for those Tweekers, that would be lovely.... Love that one, "don't yank until it yanks you" lol! :cheers:

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

kzoo wrote:....

It wouldnt be tough to set up a sting operation, just set a bait car, put a trackable GPS on the dash, and then wait. It'd be just like fishing.
The only problem is that it's C&R only. :-"

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am

hanapaa808 wrote:Please correct me if im wrong, but aslong as your in the river, property owners cant mess with you. Property owners do not own the river therefore you can walk up the river all you want.
As far as property goes which I have no clue what the boundaries are, but isn't it a line in a certain section of what you own?...Could be wrong I still have no clue though.

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 am

BentRod wrote:

I wouldn't mind if we had poachers for those suckers though ha!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:57 am

BentRod wrote:

LOL, they should change it to retain to the slammer or bonk on site.

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 am

tsath24 wrote:
hanapaa808 wrote:Please correct me if im wrong, but aslong as your in the river, property owners cant mess with you. Property owners do not own the river therefore you can walk up the river all you want.
As far as property goes which I have no clue what the boundaries are, but isn't it a line in a certain section of what you own?...Could be wrong I still have no clue though.
Yup there is a line but you can't own the river. So asking as your in it, your nit trespassing

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:07 am

if you catch a tweeker breaking into your car, tackle him, have your buddy call 911 and speak of violence and breakins and you got the suspect.. the cops will come and haul him away..

far as walking up river, i have walked by properties there while in the river with the owner waiving hi.. never been hassled..
its not for the weak legged.. you gotta walk in river sometimes up to your waist or higher and fight current.. when you're done, 2 miles of river seems like 10 miles of easy sidewalk walking.. exploration is fun though!

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

hanapaa808 wrote:
tsath24 wrote:
Yup there is a line but you can't own the river. So asking as your in it, your nit trespassing
Well yeah I guess that makes sense.

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:11 am

oneshot wrote:if you catch a tweeker breaking into your car, tackle him, have your buddy call 911 and speak of violence and breakins and you got the suspect.. the cops will come and haul him away..

far as walking up river, i have walked by properties there while in the river with the owner waiving hi.. never been hassled..
its not for the weak legged.. you gotta walk in river sometimes up to your waist or higher and fight current.. when you're done, 2 miles of river seems like 10 miles of easy sidewalk walking.. exploration is fun though!
You're not allowed to shoot the son of a bit** in the leg and hold him there till someone gets there huh? lol

yeahi would figure if you're not destroying their property...some people can get really any about someone stepping foot on their land though so you never know

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 am

those poor folks that live right off hwy 2 right before the hatchery have people walking through their yard starting, well.. SEP 16th! there is a hole right behind there house pretty much.. between 2 skinny sections, that hole can stack fish and become a floss fest.. just remember, don't yank until they yank and you won't get accused of snagging.. :pirat: :-"

I prefer walking the river to get away from all these people.. to bad though some of those best holes on this tiny river are where all the people are.. i'm thinking about getting a pontoon in a month or so.. i've seen guys launch at the hatchery and ride the whole river and out to the sky and get out at sultan.. lots of fishy holes..

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:35 am

If you're not stuck on Salmon, the Wallace is a great place to fly fish for trout. Bagged many beautiful Cutts and Bows from Goldbar to the falls. The gorge below the falls is extremely spectacular and full of little holes for the fishes to hide in.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 am

Yea the wallace is skinny and the usual holes always have snaggers but most people go there don't get fish and don't come back often. Also there are good holes, people are just lazy to walk to it. The hole i usually fish, i watch people walk by and if they ask me "any fish" i reply "nothin" but the hole is stacked. [biggrin] I love it. There are a couple other holes but since the wallace is small the holes are small like smaller than a car. Also salmon/steelhead do bite on the wallace, just got to know what to use

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:38 am

Bodofish wrote:If you're not stuck on Salmon, the Wallace is a great place to fly fish for trout. Bagged many beautiful Cutts and Bows from Goldbar to the falls. The gorge below the falls is extremely spectacular and full of little holes for the fishes to hide in.
I've contemplated about going to the falls to toss the fly about. Is it right there at the Wallace Falls State Park?

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am

i have treked from the trialhead of the falls hike. and fly fished my way down to the bridge where people park when the place is full. there area alot of good holes and runs we did really well. alot of blackberry bushes along the shore tho.

be prepared to wade/swin if i remember right there were a few deep spots in the canyon that can be tricky, we used a larger size royal coachman when we went.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:i have treked from the trialhead of the falls hike. and fly fished my way down to the bridge where people park when the place is full. there area alot of good holes and runs we did really well. alot of blackberry bushes along the shore tho.

be prepared to wade/swin if i remember right there were a few deep spots in the canyon that can be tricky, we used a larger size royal coachman when we went.

How long is that trek?

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 pm

depends on how hard you hit each spot, its a good 2-4 hours. if your doing it be sure to where long sleeves. from all the bush wacking... its worth it in the end
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:17 pm

drysuperfly52 wrote:depends on how hard you hit each spot, its a good 2-4 hours. if your doing it be sure to where long sleeves. from all the bush wacking... its worth it in the end

Mostly cutthroat? Or are there brookies and bows in the mix as well?