definition of rules? give some feed back

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dicinu
Commander

Re: definition of rules? give some feed back

Post by dicinu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm

for a specific fishery it will clearly (or not so clearly) state where the hook is supposed to be for it to be a legal catch. the Skok is just that in the mouth if it does not state then it is gill plate forward. hell Mintor creek it's okay for barbs. at least it was last year. I haven't looked into it this year. I still fish there barbless due to the amount of Boot fish that are caught. easier to release without a Barb.

I will agree actually Heavily agree the regs in some areas are not as clear without going back and forth in the book to see what they are wanting us to do. I am not a fan of tickets so I read up on the rivers I know I will go to. Rivers I do not plan on attending I could care less about them.

I am pulling out the book to see if catching fish in the salt then in a river is against the regs.. like I said before I never seen where it says there is a daily limit on Salmon only Trout.. I will be back with my final answer on that...

Knot said it is going above your daily limit...

I still cannot find it I did find daily limit is 5 for salmon unless otherwise stated in the regs for the water you are fishing... so this would mean you cannot go from one river to another to fish... but it also stated you are able to retain 2 daily limits of salmon in salt water i am going on a limb here and thinking this is if you are staying over night in the ocean. and not doing the fishing on the same day.
Last edited by dicinu on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm

dicinu- on the limit...

It just depends but all waters in Washington have daily limits on trout and salmon (and steelhead, etc).

If you fish a river (or salt or wherever) where the daily limit is 2 adult salmon let's say and then go to another river where it is 4 adult salmon then yes you can limit on 2 at your first place (limit out for that place) and then go to the place where the limit is 4 and catch 2 more (no you can't catch 2 first place and then 4 at second place because you would have 6 for the daily limit thus exceeding the 4 fish limit at the 2nd place).

However, you can't for instance go to the Quil and catch 4 coho in the salt (no min size but only coho allowed to be retained) and then go to the river and get 4 more (min 12" and 4 coho total daily limit).

You'd be 4 fish over the daily limit for the river.

Hope that helps.

BTW, dicinu I'm completely with you on the reading the regs. People should remember to check for emergency changes too as those changes would supercede the regs already written.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 pm

that makes it clear I wonder if the F&G could make it easy to read like so. lol

that makes sense to me. it would be like trout fish lake merdian then hit steel lake for a second limit.

where did you find where certain hooks are different than others for the measurement from tip to shank 3/4 inches.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

dicinu wrote:for a specific fishery it will clearly (or not so clearly) state where the hook is supposed to be for it to be a legal catch. the Skok is just that in the mouth if it does not state then it is gill plate forward. hell Mintor creek it's okay for barbs. at least it was last year. I haven't looked into it this year. I still fish there barbless due to the amount of Boot fish that are caught. easier to release without a Barb.

I will agree actually Heavily agree the regs in some areas are not as clear without going back and forth in the book to see what they are wanting us to do. I am not a fan of tickets so I read up on the rivers I know I will go to. Rivers I do not plan on attending I could care less about them.

I am pulling out the book to see if catching fish in the salt then in a river is against the regs.. like I said before I never seen where it says there is a daily limit on Salmon only Trout.. I will be back with my final answer on that...

Knot said it is going above your daily limit...

I still cannot find it I did find daily limit is 5 for salmon unless otherwise stated in the regs for the water you are fishing... so this would mean you cannot go from one river to another to fish... but it also stated you are able to retain 2 daily limits of salmon in salt water i am going on a limb here and thinking this is if you are staying over night in the ocean. and not doing the fishing on the same day.
That would be you can have up to two daily limits in your possession if you are out fishing for multiple days. Pretty standard, for any fishing in WA. I don't think I would try it if I were fishing out of Everett, or anywhere inside of the Straits. They still need to be clearly marked on your card as being caught on two different days and half of them better look like you caught them over 24 hours ago……
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm

bodo I was figuring that I am not sure how may folks stay in the sound over night even off coast I never heard of anyone staying the night out just to fish the next morning most folks will camp or what not. I would leave my day prior catch there. safer than sorry like you say them fish better look more than 24 hours old. lol

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:51 am

dicinu wrote:bodo I was figuring that I am not sure how may folks stay in the sound over night even off coast I never heard of anyone staying the night out just to fish the next morning most folks will camp or what not. I would leave my day prior catch there. safer than sorry like you say them fish better look more than 24 hours old. lol
If you can find a calm anchorage it's great fun to sleep overnight on the boat and wake up on the water, ready to fish. As stated, retention limit of two days is standard, including freshwater. I think the exception is any more than that has to be in a processed form. Never had to worry about it so not sure the exact reg.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 am

Mike Carey wrote:
dicinu wrote:bodo I was figuring that I am not sure how may folks stay in the sound over night even off coast I never heard of anyone staying the night out just to fish the next morning most folks will camp or what not. I would leave my day prior catch there. safer than sorry like you say them fish better look more than 24 hours old. lol
If you can find a calm anchorage it's great fun to sleep overnight on the boat and wake up on the water, ready to fish. As stated, retention limit of two days is standard, including freshwater. I think the exception is any more than that has to be in a processed form. Never had to worry about it so not sure the exact reg.
Fishing for a week a Neah Bay will put you over the two day limit, we always just fillet the fish and Big Salmon puts a tag with your license number and catch date. They rest in their coolers till we head for home. Never had a problem. Same thing goes up in BC too, that's how they keep the local processors in business. They fillet, portion, vac pack and freeze for you. When you get ready to move on they will pack in styro cases with dry ice and ship or into the back of your truck or boat. Awesome program.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 am

Brat Bonker wrote:I have another question since we are on this subject, I have ran into people that think it is okay to keep, oh lets say 4 silvers out in quilcene mouth/bay, then go upstream and catch another 4 silvers and then go to the skok and catch 2 more kings, I always thought that it is the maximum number of fish retention at the planned river you intend to fish at or something so like you could go to the skok and catch your 2 kings and then go to the quilcene and get 2 more silver but then you are done unless you are fishing at a 6 fish river next. :scratch: help.
That rule is clarified under the daily limit/possesion limit rules. Once you have your daily limit, you're done for the day. They'll see on your punch card when you caught your fish and know that you went over your limit.

Anglers may not continue to fish for SALMON after the adult portion of the daily limit has been retained.)

Possession limit - 2 daily limits in fresh form. An additional 40 pounds of SALMON may be possessed in frozen or processed form (see pages 10-11). ATLANTIC SALMON may be retained during any open trout or salmon fishery. There is no size limit or daily limit for ATLANTIC SALMON.

Okay, it's not much of a clarification, now I'm confused too. But I'm pretty sure that you don't get two kings at the Skok, and then two more at the Cowlitz etc.

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:51 am

im with nate, Im pretty sure thats not how it works at all, once you have reached your daily limit for adults anywhere in washington your day is done.

I believe from my understanding even on rivers where the limit is 6, once the adult portion has been caught which is 3 is some areas i believe, you are done for the day and cannot continue to fish right?
It wouldnt be called fishing unless you are always catching, best of luck!

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am

Aren't those rules under fresh water then separate rules for salt water, heck it is 2 different Lics after all?

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 am

Thats true, but where you harvest the fish is your own choice, preference, getting your limit for the day regardless of where you are, you are (successful to say the least) getting the limit of fish you can retain is how understand it. I believe thats why you have different regulations on why you can keep certian fish in certian areas, to help the species maintain its reproductive system. I believe if you could get your limits in different areas more fishermen would do so, and we would end up wiping out the populations.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Ezlivn, like I said before it is OK to leave a water/fishery where there is a lower daily limit and you already limited there to continue to fish an area with a higher daily limit for whatever species you are fishing for.

So for example you fish river A in the morning and daily limit is 2 salmon any size.
You bonk 2 salmon and have to stop fishing there cuz you hit your daily limit FOR THAT PLACE.

However, if you then proceed to river 2 where the daily limit is higher- 4 salmon any size let's say, then you can start fishing there until you retain 2 more salmon. So at the 2nd place you only caught 2 salmon but you already caught 2 others from the other spot so you have 4 fish for the day and thus have to stop fishing at the 2nd spot as well.

It is a cumulative effect on your daily limit not one where you get to single out a limit for each water you fish and then start over by going to new place. Can't do that.

Make sense? Of course check all regs before going to make sure but pretty sure that's how it works.

Good luck, all IMO only.

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I agree with you, im saying in places where there is a two limit, you cannont go to another place that only has a two limit, and get two more, that would be poaching, on the other hand in area where there is 6 you are allowed to get four more to achieve your daily limit, as long as the regs allow 4 more adults or jacks

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Ezlivn89 wrote:I agree with you, im saying in places where there is a two limit, you cannont go to another place that only has a two limit, and get two more, that would be poaching, on the other hand in area where there is 6 you are allowed to get four more to achieve your daily limit, as long as the regs allow 4 more adults or jacks
I believe you have that correct. [biggrin]

Fishininja
Petty Officer

Post by Fishininja » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm

better be sure

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 pm

You are only allowed one daily limit from any or all bodies of water combined in a 24 hour period. River or lake jumping is not allowed. You could pick up your steel and salmon out of the river and then go to the lake for trout or panfish. But not two limits of salmon or steel from two rivers or salt in 24. I think we're getting borderline on beating a dead horse. The regs just aren't that tough, a remedial reading course and sit down with the pamphlet and a beverage of your choice.