do you think my setup will work for green/duwamish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

do you think my setup will work for green/duwamish

Post by Ezlivn89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:51 am

I will be trying my first year at river salmon this year in the duwamish/ green. I have a 7ft medium action pole, and about 80yards of 12lb test on my caster. i got the right stuff for it, spoons(single hook), blue foxs, some corkys, some floaters with yarn. Just not sure what will work best here, or the best spots that ppl think, along with that if my gear will be good enough, and lures work best?

thanks for the help guys
It wouldnt be called fishing unless you are always catching, best of luck!

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Re: do you think my setup will work for green/duwamish

Post by chrome_chasin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 am

7 foot rod will be your best bet on the green as there is not much room to cast. As for gear, throw it all. I prefer to twitch jigs or throw small corkies or beads with just a little yarn. Also recommend the smallest hook you are comfortable with.

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 am

Small hook? im just curious, do you mean smaller than what you would troll with in sound, cause i do have some that are smaller just, there not trout size you could say. No waders yet, that will be in the future, just looking at the bank, i have a couple spots that i plan on using. I believe Sept 1st it opens up, not for sure, just what i rememeber. and do most people net the fish or just bring them up on the bank?

thanks for the tips guys

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Ezlivn89 wrote: No waders yet, that will be in the future, just looking at the bank, i have a couple spots that i plan on using. I believe Sept 1st it opens up, not for sure, just what i rememeber. and do most people net the fish or just bring them up on the bank?

thanks for the tips guys
Net: Depends on how the bank is where you are fishing, if it is 0" entry (a very gradual sloping entry) then you are probably ok without a net, but if there is a dropoff to the water or a deep entry then you'd probably want to net (rather than risking something breaking (line OR rod). Even tougher to land a fish without a net and keep your feet dry also.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:20 pm

The lower Duwamish/Green is slow frog water, and fishes better in my experience on the incoming tide. Have had my best luck drifting eggs and casting Dicknites for these silvers. There should be some early silvers around on the opener, but there will be more unretainable chinook. The main push of silvers don't come in until late Sept. to first week of Oct.
Last edited by losaturn on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the tips, Appreciate the feedback like i said im new to all this river fishing, ill take it all in looking for all the information i can get. So i need a net for sure. Dicknites, with what size hook are you using?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Make sure you buy a fishing vest too instead of carring around a tackle box, #2-1/0 hooks are good for coho, get some pink spinners, half/half dick nites and floats and eggs

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Ezlivn89 wrote:Thanks for the tips, Appreciate the feedback like i said im new to all this river fishing, ill take it all in looking for all the information i can get. So i need a net for sure. Dicknites, with what size hook are you using?
I only use the size 1 Dicknites. No need to change the hook out, just use the small stock hook attached to the spoon.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:05 pm

What ever size hooks you use you wanna make sure the hook is no more than 3/4" inch from tip to shank/shaft you will get a ticket if caught.

I am not sure what size hook exceeds this limit.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Depends on style of hook dicinu but that is very good info to put out for people- make sure we are following the regs. Thanx.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 pm

yeah F&G handed out tickets last year on the green like it was candy. they checked mine and my lics asked if I caught anything. and said good luck.

I will check the regs I did not notice it saying anything about a style of hook.

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Thats good to know, not tryin to get any tickets haha if i recall its all barbless single hooks correct?

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:09 pm

losaturn wrote:
Ezlivn89 wrote:Thanks for the tips, Appreciate the feedback like i said im new to all this river fishing, ill take it all in looking for all the information i can get. So i need a net for sure. Dicknites, with what size hook are you using?
I only use the size 1 Dicknites. No need to change the hook out, just use the small stock hook attached to the spoon.

I have a couple hundred dicknites so one of them should be good, hand me downs from my grandfather

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 pm

My home river is a selective gear fishery, so that means barbless.... Alway check the regs good before you fish a system...

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Ezlivn89 wrote:Thats good to know, not tryin to get any tickets haha if i recall its all barbless single hooks correct?
You can use barbed hooks on the Green. The only rule in effect, is the anti-snagging rule.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:27 pm

dicinu wrote:yeah F&G handed out tickets last year on the green like it was candy. they checked mine and my lics asked if I caught anything. and said good luck.

I will check the regs I did not notice it saying anything about a style of hook.

Hi dicinu- good to see you. I have been hibernating from the board (and fishing) for some time. #-o

I should have been more clear...

I was thinking difft hooks have different gaps between shank and point depending on hook style, manufacturer etc so one hook could be a size 1 for insatnce but have a 1 inch gap while another size 21 difft manufacturer and hook style might have a 1/2 inch gap but am not 100% sure.

The easy way is to break out the old ruler or precision measuring tape. :salut:

Ezlivn89
Petty Officer

Post by Ezlivn89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 pm

No treble hooks right? I dont have the regs with me at work. What spots do you guys reccomend, i know a couple good places in kent that look good, a few down my the community center, but are they super crowded when the season starts?

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Don't be afraid to go to the busier places and just hang back and watch people.... You learn a lot by observation....

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Heres the reg, you really should check them out yourself. What are you going to do when the game warden starts writing tickets to you. "Joe Smoe from Washington Lakes" Said it was okay.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01384/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

kzoo- as I recall you are a solid egg and float fisherman when it comes to the Duw/Green coho. [biggrin]

I personally think the egg and float guys =D> have a one up on us other 'gear chuckers'. #-o

Not quite like dry fly fishing but it takes some knowledge of not only the water but also the curing of eggs, lack of scent, etc so is a bit more of a refined science than throwing on a bead or corky and drifting it thru a slot or hole. 8-[

Of course I don't have much time these days pursuing any kind of fish so opt for the corky or jig [flapper]. It works anyway.