Skok-chat

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Re: Skok-chat

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah the silvers are coming through now, quil has some and won't be long when the skok starts to pick up some too.
hunter look what i found @ puyallop today what is it koho? :scratch: [flapper] :tongue: Image
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:28 am

hey odh, only one :scratch: my coho that I got yesterday had 6 kohos on it [flapper]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 am

Metal wrote:Excellent example knotabassturd! =D>
And no where does it say they can't get O2 if the water is moving from back to front. So far you're still taking a pretty big leap with huge assumptions. We all know they prefer water moving from front to back but those gills just like having water in contact with them. I stand by all my previous statements. I'm also going to state a foul hooked fish has a much better survival rate if released correctly than one that's been hooked in the mouth somewhere. I've seen too many Salmon with large chunks bit out of their bodies, swimming happily and doing what fish do to think a hook in the back or belly is going to slow them down one bit. Not to mention any creature that feels pain would be dead from said pain if they had a bite that took up to a quarter of their body.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:17 pm

i dont know how many time i hook springer this yr freedrifting egg. they swallowed hook and bleeding pretty bad, some were hooked inside da gills bleeding some were adipose so had to let them go ..i agree with bodofish i think theyer skin is thougher and if they raked on their back have a better survival than being gut hooked or inside the gill bleeding bad, only safe way is quit fishing to protect salmon #-o..i do lots of bobber jig for steel especially summer steelhat. i had bobber downs and somehow hooked them in the eyeball dont know how it happen #-o
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Bodofish- all good points. If the fish is getting enough O2 it doesn't matter which direction it is facing. And if it gets hooked around the mouth there's a greater risk the fish could bleed out given all the vasculature around the gills/tongue.

But IMO also realize that unless the water is highly saturated with O2 (e.g. cold turbulent clear water vs warm frog water), then the fish will suffer quicker from potential hypoxia complications being dragged in backwwards vs forwards because a fish is much more efficient at taking up O2 when water passes from mouth to gills vs reverse. That's because a fish is forcing the water from its mouth back over its gills when it 'breathes' so if coming in backwards it is basically breathing the air out of the water it just had pass over its gills.

Kinda like breathing in your exhaled air so higher CO2 levels and lower O2 levels to some degree on the next breath. That's kind of what you might get from some COPD sufferers- unable to fully exhale so some residual air doesn't get exhaled completely. In some cases with (COPD) it feels like the person can't get enough air in even when they're using extra muscles to try to force air in (I think in part that may be what leads to the barrel chest look of some chronic COPDers).

Plus the fish is potentially going to battle longer being brought in backwards vs forwards. The fishing person will have much more water drag/resistance from the drag created by the fins facing backwards in water vs forward so potential for longer fight.

Seems to me everyone has a valid point here.

Take home IMO- a fish has higher chance of bleeding out if hooked in/around the mouth vs body especially if gills are involved and fish has higher chance of dying from hypoxia complications if brought in backwards vs forwards. So see, everyone is right at least in part :-"

All IMO only here. Not trying to take sides oranything, just express viewpoint and keeping it civil. :cheers: Now back to the Skok... 8-[ [blush]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks to Toni for posting this info on another thread. OK everyone, add the numbers to your contact list and do your part to report poachers, one group we can all agree needs to be stopped:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/reportin ... tions.html

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Metal wrote:Excellent example knotabassturd! =D>
And no where does it say they can't get O2 if the water is moving from back to front. So far you're still taking a pretty big leap with huge assumptions. We all know they prefer water moving from front to back but those gills just like having water in contact with them. I stand by all my previous statements. I'm also going to state a foul hooked fish has a much better survival rate if released correctly than one that's been hooked in the mouth somewhere. I've seen too many Salmon with large chunks bit out of their bodies, swimming happily and doing what fish do to think a hook in the back or belly is going to slow them down one bit. Not to mention any creature that feels pain would be dead from said pain if they had a bite that took up to a quarter of their body.
This is my point exactly, what I've been saying all along. I still don't buy the suffocation argument. And most fish that are snagged are coming in SIDEWAYS. Which means they're still facing upstream. Hence the term, "brought him in sideways", because the hook is in the belly, dorsal or pectoral fins, more so than getting a tail shot. And nearly 100% of the fish that I catch on roe are getting pulled in by the throat, gills, eyes etc. They eat that roe. That's the point.

You put 12 pounds of drag on the hook attached to the throat of that big fish, you're going to tear something, and even a small bleed is deadly. Try putting a small bleed in your carotid. How long will you survive? A lot less than if you got a hook in your butt. If we're going to argue that snagging kills more fish than sportsmanlike conduct, you're just wrong. If you don't like the way folks fish the Skok, don't go there.

The Skokomish is a famous fishery. There are guys coming down from Bellingham to fish it, folks coming up from Vancouver. There are the locals like me, that grew up fishing that river. There are plenty of fish to go around, plenty of good water for all the different types of angling. But when you've got upwards of 500 anglers on the water everyday, you're going to either play nice, or get frustrated. When you've got 30 guys throwing in the dame hole, fish sharking up and down running away from lead, you're going to have a fish run right into your hook. If you're snagging fish on purpose, no doubt you're breaking the law, and I never would encourage people to break the law. I was making the point that it's healthier for the fish to get snagged than it is to get pulled in "in da mouf".

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Well, i got one "in da mouf" today. Hooked quite a few. Took a 1 oz cannonball to my head today, busted it right open instantly, had blood dripping off my chin. It hit my forehead and blood splattered onto my glasses. I cleaned it up, put sterile stiches on it, and a bandaid and went back to fishing. I caught my fish after it happened lol
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm

FishBait:

" Took a 1 oz cannonball to my head today, busted it right open instantly, had blood dripping off my chin. It hit my forehead and blood splattered onto my glasses. I cleaned it up, put sterile stiches on it, and a bandaid and went back to fishing. " [blink] [blink]

Wow, after that description now I know how to explain combat fishing to the next person that asks LOL... 8-[

Keep an eye on the wound though for next couple days. Fishing gear tends to be rather unclean (looking for inflammation that persists or grows beyond the initial swelling, yucky discharge etc- if you see that stuff it might be worth a quick trip to the doc to be safe IMO).

Way to hang tough by the way. [thumbsup]

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for the info ! Its got a big knot around around it, i figured it would though lol
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm

um, up to date on your tetanus shot?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 pm

ouch, those cannonballs can be bad news, I have got 2 off the knee cap, 1 on the cheek and another in the gut. nothing can beat king fever on the skok though haha.

Boeingfisher2706
Petty Officer

Post by Boeingfisher2706 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Thats scary but the price we pay in blood is a great reward with fish.... I commend you :salut:

Any who where is a good place for all of us non boaters to try....

Regards
JR :nemo:

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:39 pm

I had one come back at me and hit me square in the chest. Knocked the wind outta me and left a cannonball shaped welt, with the swivel snap and all. Man that sucked. Had another in the leg, and a hook in the ear. Always hold out your rod as far as you can to the side and gently break off. Because man, that lead flies fast. That's some hardcore field first aid Fishbait. Good on you. But don't hesitate to get it checked out if it gets infected.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Haha thanks nate ! I knew id get hit in the head eventually. Ive been hit twice in the ear this year, it was bound to happen. been hooked in the back of the head twice. Got hit in the stomach once, and the thigh a couple times.

Havent been hit in the chesst, and i dont plan on it !

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm

I remember several years ago at the quilcene a kid got nailed but a huge piece of pencil lead in his hand and ended up breaking a finger or something, really wierd, oh yeah and I hooked my dad in the back of the head out bass fishing with my friend once #-o

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:10 pm

FIshing is more dangerous then people would think! Lol, caught another limit today. Nothing to exciting happened today, hahaha.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:41 pm

well I am a little late I fished Saturday with a buddy we fished his fishing hole along with 20 other people. I only foul hooked one fish all day I hooked a lot of fish. it was fun watching them chase my beads & hook... kept one fish roughly 14# gutted hen. hooked on the tongue bonked bleed. later hooked again on the tongue same set up beads and hook this one was a Nat. revved and released...I had another in the mouth prior to that one yelled fish on and some Dbag decided he wanted to try an snag my fish tossed his line right on top of the fish snapped my line.

it was a great day my buddy was playing a game of catch and release he wasn't looking to keep any fish. he just likes the fun of catching them.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 pm

When does the king run end.there?

R.Ton
Petty Officer

Post by R.Ton » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:06 pm

dicinu wrote:well I am a little late I fished Saturday with a buddy we fished his fishing hole along with 20 other people. I only foul hooked one fish all day I hooked a lot of fish. it was fun watching them chase my beads & hook... kept one fish roughly 14# gutted hen. hooked on the tongue bonked bleed. later hooked again on the tongue same set up beads and hook this one was a Nat. revved and released...I had another in the mouth prior to that one yelled fish on and some Dbag decided he wanted to try an snag my fish tossed his line right on top of the fish snapped my line.

it was a great day my buddy was playing a game of catch and release he wasn't looking to keep any fish. he just likes the fun of catching them.
first 2 fish legally hooked: YOU ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No catch and release at all on the Skok. a dead horse but people: READ THE REGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!