Hoping for Coho, caught this instead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DennisH22A1
Angler

Hoping for Coho, caught this instead

Post by DennisH22A1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:44 am

So me and my brother in law took a day off on monday to go out and spend a day fishing, trying out new spots and such for silvers. we tried all along the green but didnt really see anything too promising so we headed down to the puyallup (right where 410/167 meet. there is a parking area along the street there and you walk south about 1/4th mile and you can go onto a big rocky bank. Where you cast in there is a near legendary snag right smack dab in the middle of the river. I have been here plenty of times and have lost lots of gear to that snag. This time the water was much lower and much more clear so i decided to investigate the source. BEHOLD! the BEAST. the beast has feasted upon hundreds of corkies, hooks, and weights, and i am going to save alot of money on gear because of this [thumbup]

we had a hell of a time pulling the log out of the ground, it was in there almost 3 ft, straight down. If you have gone back there since monday, youll see it laying there on the shore (we took the gear off of course)

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Hoping for Coho, caught this instead

Post by BentRod » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:48 am

Wow! That's awesome that you got that mess out of the river. Good find. [scared] =D>

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:54 am

Wow thanks for pulling that out of the river, dude. That thing looks like a real problem, haha. Could you identify any of your rigs in that mess?

DennisH22A1
Angler

Post by DennisH22A1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:19 pm

didnt look too closely to be honest, i have it in a bag, but i have lost atleast a dozen set ups over the last couple months on that very log. I have a very distinct set up so it wont be too hard. What surprises me is the types of set ups people use, mostly barbed hooks and MASSIVE weights, some are like 2oz, maybe even bigger

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:39 pm

The mother of all snags! I need to do that at a hole that I fish at Reiter, its' probably got 2 dozen jigs of mine.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I did that at Reiter and I'm still picking out hooks and lead and jigs! It's a very lucrative thing to do. I've got a couple of places in mind to hit up with a dive mask and snorkel gear. Way to go. We all benefit from this stuff.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Could I get the 4th yellow corky from the 2oz. bananna weight on the left... I think it is mine. :-k
Awesome job. Thanks for taking the time to pull that out. Wouldn't it be an interesting and beneficial thing if somebody with the time could drag one of those snagging rigs down the river. I'm talking about the kind that look like a large grappling hook, that has it's own sort of birds nest on it. You throw it out from piers... drag it back and feast on lures.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Its funny, when I'm banking it I usually seem to have some guy with a white surf casting pole on my left chucking a buzz bomb, and some guy throwing 2 oz of lead and drift gear waded out up to his pocket on my right..... yet here I am.... inch and a half of pencil lead, 3 foot leader, and corky standing knee deep in the river and lighting up fish left and right. I don't get it.....

What am I doing wrong? [flapper]
Last edited by Matt on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Score! Nice job.

johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

Post by johnsgonefishin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

You should take that to the taxadermist and getting mounted for the wall. Best snag ever.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Nice find! =D> Thanks for the clean up effort too. :cheers:

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I have lost gear in that spot haha. enjoy my 35 corkies, 18 hooks and pencil lead.

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am

yesterday on the wallace river the guy next to me snagged up, he got his line as well as a couple setups back, one of the the setups was a HUGE treble hook attached by a steel cable that was maybe 1/8th of a inch thick, they lost it cause the swivel gave loose. I've heard of snagging and kind of seen it before but that brings it to a whole new level

DennisH22A1
Angler

Post by DennisH22A1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:42 am

ingi, im not proud of that! i paid good money for that treble hook!

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:03 am

should have bought a better swivel