Dick Nite Hooks

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Dick Nite Hooks

Post by bkawafishin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:53 am

So I happened across a stash of #1 Dick Nite spoons at the store today (I was surprised to see them there as I haven't seen any in the last month or so). I've never used them for drift fishing before, but want to give it a try as I am hearing they are quite effective for the silvers.

My question is do you change out the standard hook on the Dick Nite to something larger? Or is the hook it comes with large/strong enough for the salmon? If you do change it out to a larger siwash, what size do you prefer to use?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Matt
Admiral

RE:Dick Nite Hooks

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:03 am

The stock hook will do you just fine. If you change the hooks you will also change the action of the lure, that's the big kicker. The guage wire used on the hooks is fairly stout and holds up well, my only qualm would be the gap from point to shank is rather small, but the proof is in the puddin' they DO catch LOTS of salmon. BIG SALMON.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 am

Larger hook will likely change the action of the lure.
+1 to what matt said. Wouldn't hurt to buy a file or a pack of gamakatsu open eye siwash hooks in the appropriate size to have as a spare to keep sharp hooks on those lures.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 am

A bigger hook ruins the lure's action. The little hooks come off really easy I've found. But I have also found the bending the hook out a little helps to get a bit more grab. I like to use thee wee nites, which have a smaller hook than the #1's. I also bend out my jigs a bit when I'm fishing the tiny ones for steelhead. Just enough to get more grab. And be easy on the fish when you're bring them in if you can.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 am

I lose the damn things on snags so much fishing for coho in the skagit, (where in recent years they want a SUPER slow retrieve right along the bottom) that its not even worth the time to switch out the hooks, although i rarely lose a coho to the stock hooks.
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:27 am

great to know. thanks guys!

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 am

I fish my dick nites with stock hooks. They hold pretty well, and usually the hooks bends out of snags, saving the lure. The only gripe I have is the eye of the hook won't close all the way, even after pinching them shut with the pliers. It's a pain because it always catches on my net after I net a fish.

MrJohn
Petty Officer

Post by MrJohn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:17 am

google: dick nite spoons seminar.

good and informative.

angler_firman
Angler

Post by angler_firman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:15 pm

bkawafishin wrote:So I happened across a stash of #1 Dick Nite spoons at the store today (I was surprised to see them there as I haven't seen any in the last month or so). I've never used them for drift fishing before, but want to give it a try as I am hearing they are quite effective for the silvers.

My question is do you change out the standard hook on the Dick Nite to something larger? Or is the hook it comes with large/strong enough for the salmon? If you do change it out to a larger siwash, what size do you prefer to use?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

i thaught the same thing, but it turns out that the little hook that comes on them is sufficient. i had no problem reeling them in all day. good luck

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 am

MrJohn wrote:google: dick nite spoons seminar.

good and informative.
I did just this and it was definitely very informative.

For the lazy:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Not only Dick nites but I usually sharpen the hooks before fishing using a small honing stone. If I catch a snag I resharpen. I have quite a collection of Dick Nites. In our rivers the 50/50 works the best hands down.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 pm

bend the hook to the side a smig, so its not in line. better hook up and less missed hook sets. just a smig
LIP RIPPER

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:12 am

i have never had a prob with these hooks, from pinks to kings. i have bent these hooks out also and just rebent it back and continued catching fish
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU