pinks in the snoho

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jerome iverson
Angler

RE:pinks in the snoho

Post by jerome iverson » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:35 pm

so i just called the hot line on people went down the river road and seen idiots carry out humpys and people walking down there with pink jigs on there line so r they fishing for steelhead ummm i dont think so game warden is on his way even got the license plate of they guy who was carry out humpys what they cant wait one more day i hate poachers

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 pm

mr lucky wrote:so i just called the hot line on people went down the river road and seen idiots carry out humpys and people walking down there with pink jigs on there line so r they fishing for steelhead ummm i dont think so game warden is on his way even got the license plate of they guy who was carry out humpys what they cant wait one more day i hate poachers
good job mr lucky.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:30 am

Yes I did know the river is open. But not for pinks. I think we all know what kind of fisher people come out for pinks.... They are not the same crowd that fish for steelhead or any other salmon for that matter. So i hardly believe they were fishing for steelhead. I dont think these (people) know how to spell steelhead.I also went down there to the Lowell boat launch and what do you know. A guy fishing down there. I don't want to be quick to pull out the poaching card because maybe he was fishing for steelhead with a pink buzz bomb.

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 am

And so the **** show on the snoho begins.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm

I went down, just up stream for the town of Snohomish last night(evening) to see what was happening, Watched for 20 minutes or so, didn't see so much as a ripple in the water..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

julesvern12
Angler

Post by julesvern12 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

I knew alot people who came home empty handed.#-o

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:27 pm

julesvern12 wrote:I knew alot people who came home empty handed.#-o
They are still a ways out... Everyone gets so jumpy and anxious about the Pinks, the peak of the run in the salt is a week or two away still so there won't be a good number of them in the river for a while....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

julesvern12
Angler

Post by julesvern12 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:09 pm

A9 wrote:
julesvern12 wrote:I knew alot people who came home empty handed.#-o
They are still a ways out... Everyone gets so jumpy and anxious about the Pinks, the peak of the run in the salt is a week or two away still so there won't be a good number of them in the river for a while....
You are 100% right[thumbup] . I'm glad I didn't go out and fish this morning. The salt should be heating up soon

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 pm

hahaha humpy years always bring out the idiots and bad attitudes on the river
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:42 pm

mr lucky wrote:so i just called the hot line on people went down the river road and seen idiots carry out humpys and people walking down there with pink jigs on there line so r they fishing for steelhead ummm i dont think so

People "Walking out with humpys" IS poaching. People fishing with pink jigs IS NOT poaching. If you target steelhead and catch and release pink salmon incidentally there is nothing illegal about that, AT ALL.

How many of us steelhead anglers have ever caught a steelhead on a pink jig? I sure as hell know I have caught TONS!

Gringo, strange you didn't see much. We fished right above the mouth of the Pilchuck about a half mile or so, and around 6:30pm or so the water was alive with jumpers. When we left at 7 the water was boiling with fish on the run back down. Saw lots hooked. We hooked 10 ourselves with very little time spent fishing, they are in there in solid catchable numbers. I know John Thomas of Rotten Chum Guide Service caught over 100 fish including three 3 person limits before sundown yesterday on jigs below a float tipped with prawn tails, and he was fishing ABOVE doug bar. Also, the males this year are quite large. First cast I nailed this buck, one of the biggest humpies I've ever caught before, lol! Ripped me up good on my Okuma SST kokanee rod with Abu Black Max reel and 8lb mono.

Also, regarding the Rotary Park (Lowell) launch, they need to OUTLAW fishing from that dock. There were about 10 people all crammed onto that dock yesterday evening hucking buzz bombs way out into the channel. It is downright unsafe for boaters. It is a boat launch dock, and as such should not be used as a fishing pier. There wasn't even room to get out onto the dock when loading/unloading the boat because of all of the yahoos crowded around. Definitely a safety hazard, and should be against the law to fish on boat ramp docks IMO. Plenty of other area from Lowell to Snoho for bankies to hit.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Matt wrote:Gringo, strange you didn't see much. We fished right above the mouth of the Pilchuck about a half mile or so, and around 6:30pm or so the water was alive with jumpers. When we left at 7 the water was boiling with fish on the run back down. Saw lots hooked. We hooked 10 ourselves with very little time spent fishing, they are in there in solid catchable numbers. I know John Thomas of Rotten Chum Guide Service caught over 100 fish including three 3 person limits before sundown yesterday on jigs below a float tipped with prawn tails, and he was fishing ABOVE doug bar. Also, the males this year are quite large. First cast I nailed this buck, one of the biggest humpies I've ever caught before, lol! Ripped me up good on my Okuma SST kokanee rod with Abu Black Max reel and 8lb mono.

Also, regarding the Rotary Park (Lowell) launch, they need to OUTLAW fishing from that dock. There were about 10 people all crammed onto that dock yesterday evening hucking buzz bombs way out into the channel. It is downright unsafe for boaters. It is a boat launch dock, and as such should not be used as a fishing pier. There wasn't even room to get out onto the dock when loading/unloading the boat because of all of the yahoos crowded around. Definitely a safety hazard, and should be against the law to fish on boat ramp docks IMO. Plenty of other area from Lowell to Snoho for bankies to hit.
Hey Matt - I am still learning the name for all the spots and where they are up & down the river, being a bankie, I don't have access to a lot of em. I was at the end of 111th, up on the dike at high tide the day before the opening. They just weren't there when I was.

Yeah I heard from John @ Rotten Chum Guide Service that he also had some double and even triple hookups on opening day.

I was down below Hwy 9 & just above that slew yesterday from 4-4:30pm. Had my daughter with me so just there to see how people were doing. About 15 people in 200 yard stretch, EVERYBODY was throwing buzzbombs#-o saw one fish caught and a few on the bank. Not hot, but there were fish being caught (it was incoming tide).

It was interesting, I had forgotten the characters that come out during pink runs. Nobody totally outrageous, but still fun to watch.
  • One guy had a 6' total meatstick (looked like a deep water trolling rod) with a broken tip.
  • Another in brand new stocking foot waders & no shoes (bet they last a long time).
  • A guy wearing neoprenes that were two sizes to small and farm/muck boots who sat wayyy up in the shade smoking cigaretts. He has some kind of a set line out attached to a stick, every once in awhile he would walk down and check it, then walk back to his chair. He never pulled it in so I didn't get to see what was on the other end.
  • Three guys sittin in chairs with dropshot setups with 2oz pyramid weights and nightcrawlers.
One guy hooked a decent buck, his net was 20 yards up on the bank. I took it down to his buddy. Instead of letting the fish pull drag, or walking up the bank, the guys with the fish walked further into the river, I thought he was going to fill his chest waders! Then his buddykept swiping at this fish, missed it 3 or 4 times before he got it netted (net had a 5' handle on it).

But I guess you gotta start somehwere!

IMO - buzzbombs should be banned from the rivers - period.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:31 pm

pulled this little hen from the place i caught my first pink many years ago. and a amazing site to see Dollys following the humpies means the cutts are right behind.
Attachments
fish_069_Medium.jpg
fish_069_Medium.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
fish_070_Medium.jpg
fish_070_Medium.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
Last edited by curado on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Matt wrote:
mr lucky wrote:so i just called the hot line on people went down the river road and seen idiots carry out humpys and people walking down there with pink jigs on there line so r they fishing for steelhead ummm i dont think so

People "Walking out with humpys" IS poaching. People fishing with pink jigs IS NOT poaching. If you target steelhead and catch and release pink salmon incidentally there is nothing illegal about that, AT ALL. <snip>

<snip> Also, regarding the Rotary Park (Lowell) launch, they need to OUTLAW fishing from that dock. There were about 10 people all crammed onto that dock yesterday evening hucking buzz bombs way out into the channel. It is downright unsafe for boaters. It is a boat launch dock, and as such should not be used as a fishing pier. There wasn't even room to get out onto the dock when loading/unloading the boat because of all of the yahoos crowded around. Definitely a safety hazard, and should be against the law to fish on boat ramp docks IMO. Plenty of other area from Lowell to Snoho for bankies to hit.
Sooo were you up at the slough that goes around to the 2 bit hole? Or working that little hole (dip) just above the Pil.? The boat is going in...... did you fish the incoming? Some times on the lower river they're finicky about tide.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:58 pm

We fished incoming. The beginning of the incoming had fish moving on it, but not a ton. We hooked our first 2 at the beginning. End of the incoming we hooked the other 8 in rapid succession, fish after fish. Fished above the Pil. Was going to go up to that side channel you were talking about but saw enough fish lower to give it a shot. Fished in real tight to the bank too, casting within feet of the shore. Key to the retrieve was SLOW.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm

That's one of the grandest pinks I've ever seen! Congrats Matt!

Matt wrote:

People "Walking out with humpys" IS poaching. People fishing with pink jigs IS NOT poaching. If you target steelhead and catch and release pink salmon incidentally there is nothing illegal about that, AT ALL.

How many of us steelhead anglers have ever caught a steelhead on a pink jig? I sure as hell know I have caught TONS!

Gringo, strange you didn't see much. We fished right above the mouth of the Pilchuck about a half mile or so, and around 6:30pm or so the water was alive with jumpers. When we left at 7 the water was boiling with fish on the run back down. Saw lots hooked. We hooked 10 ourselves with very little time spent fishing, they are in there in solid catchable numbers. I know John Thomas of Rotten Chum Guide Service caught over 100 fish including three 3 person limits before sundown yesterday on jigs below a float tipped with prawn tails, and he was fishing ABOVE doug bar. Also, the males this year are quite large. First cast I nailed this buck, one of the biggest humpies I've ever caught before, lol! Ripped me up good on my Okuma SST kokanee rod with Abu Black Max reel and 8lb mono.

"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm

A real toadly, huh? Surprised the heck out of me! Lol. Tore me up good on my kokanee setup, I thought for a moment we might be going to chase the fish, even. My thumb made short work of that idea though, hahaha.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:30 am

Matt wrote:A real toadly, huh? Surprised the heck out of me! Lol. Tore me up good on my kokanee setup, I thought for a moment we might be going to chase the fish, even. My thumb made short work of that idea though, hahaha.

Matt-

Were you out there today?

Im pretty sure I saw you pulling your boat into the lowell launch around 7 ish or so.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Sure was! Where were you at? Don't be afraid to say hi, I love to BS and tell fish stories. :bball: I was out with Curado from the forum.

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Matt wrote:Sure was! Where were you at? Don't be afraid to say hi, I love to BS and tell fish stories. :bball: I was out with Curado from the forum.

I was mortoring back down to langus with the fam. I was passing you when you were pulling into lowell so didnt really have a chance to say hi. Thats cool you and curado were out, i fished with him up at reiter before too.
Last edited by chefjake99 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Matt wrote:A real toadly, huh? Surprised the heck out of me! Lol. Tore me up good on my kokanee setup, I thought for a moment we might be going to chase the fish, even. My thumb made short work of that idea though, hahaha.
Yeppers! No hump, brite, and size! Great for the BBQ with chips on the coals or the smoker! Awesome fight with lite gear>>>>>>>>>...........
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"