Fishing the Skokomish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
stoshzydek
Petty Officer

Fishing the Skokomish

Post by stoshzydek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm headed out to the Skokomish River monday. I was wondering if anybody would throw me some places to check out. I'm fine with crowds, just don't know the area quite well, I'm normally a Cowlitz fisher. Any help helps.

Thanks

stoshzydek
Petty Officer

RE:Fishing the Skokomish

Post by stoshzydek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 pm

or if anyone is not too willing to hand out info like that, I'll trade you for some Swofford Catfishing hints if you pm me.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Pretty much just follow everyone. There is many holes on this river they all produce and everyone is fishing them allready. There is not really any big secret. If ya want bites fish the hour before and hour after sun. Use glow balls or eggs and youll get bites. Any other time floss the fish. Dont matter what colors or anything. Ive used a hook only red #1 and flossed and hooked fish there. Your gonna snag a few but that is cause they are thick. Youll get a few in the mouth eventually. Bout all ya gotta do there. Its not like steelheading but the fish are alot stronger for sure.
More fish please!

stoshzydek
Petty Officer

Post by stoshzydek » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks, but I'm talking areas. I'm not real knowledgeable of it. A Road name or something would help. I know how to get them when I get there its just getting there.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:20 am

I fish Hunters Farm. Pretty much the whole river is producing is what pooh was saying once you drive down there your going to see cars everywhere look for a parking spot go down to the water and start fishing the fish just come through super thick theres no magic spot theres fish everywhere !!!!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:05 am

Yea, it's intimidating at first. Best bet is to go a couple times, fish the whole stretch. Find the holes that you can fish well without getting snagged, and find the holes that seem to have fish schooled up in them. If you explore there are some neat little corners that can get overlooked for a while for the real meat holes. The fish will run outta the meat runs and regroup in some water that doesn't really look like it should hold fish, but does, because of all the craziness they're going through.

Stand up on the bank and watch the fish as guys cast at 'em. They go all matrix and weave in and out of leaders, and you'll be amazed. Early early, and late late are pretty much the only times that the fish are chill enough to purposefully take the bait unless you can find some the aforementioned water. It's always changing though, depending on where the fish are and when they've come in. I don't get to fish it enough to get a pattern going, but every time I go down I do well.

stoshzydek
Petty Officer

Post by stoshzydek » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks. I'll try all that. I've been reading reports on the gamefishin.com website and from what I've read its been a disaster down there and the puyallup. Hopefully I'll get something

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Just go 101 to Hunter's farm and the Purdy cutoff road (google it). You'll see the cars all along the sides of the roads.
Went there yesterday (Skok). All I can say is WOW#-o Definitely not my thing.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Just go 101 to Hunter's farm and the Purdy cutoff road (google it). You'll see the cars all along the sides of the roads.
Went there yesterday (Skok). All I can say is WOW#-o Definitely not my thing.
LOL, it was actually really slow yesterday, even slower today. It's gonna be real hot tomorrow,

I dont go to the Skok On Mondays and Thursdays because of the netting scheldule other then that im out there every day.
But Cedar Hole,HunterFarms, And The first hole right above the bridge are the 3 best holes on the river. Ive fished every hole on that river, theres one more thats really good, really good, but only accessible during low tide, but its a secret. If i told you, i'd have to kill you. :-$
My buddy showed it to me, and told me not to tell anyone.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:43 pm

There are no secret holes on that river... Lol

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:47 pm

Brian253 wrote:There are no secret holes on that river... Lol
Lol thats true..
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:08 am

Hey fish bait i actually fished the skoke this past monday even though i knew there was netting and it was one of the best days i have seen on the skoke even the locals were saying it was a rare occasion. It was a minus tide day so you could still walk across river to land fish easier right at the hole at the end of hunters farm. I ended up with a limit of two monster hogs not sure on the weight but was checked by the wildlife biologist and my biggest fish was 34 inches long and the other i don't remember but was a little smaller. Fishing was so good that even a lady using what looked to be a trout pole with some heavy line got her limit. Everyone was catching fish that day. Just letting you know cause you said you don't fish days the indians net.

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Post by kingfisher101 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:41 am

Well it not like every netting day there is alot of fish maybe that day was lucky..Sometimes you just have to be there at the right place right time
Good luck-KingFisher

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 pm

The y hole at the north end of the farm has been putting out some nice fish everyday. Mondays and tuesdays you can't fish above the 106 bridge. I fish Tuesday through Friday last week and took home fish everyday except Friday. I only put in 2 hours on Friday though but still hooked into a ton of fish.

biggest was on Wednesday 21.5 pound hen after dressing her out.

stoshzydek
Petty Officer

Post by stoshzydek » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Well....I went there on the monday and it was a bust. I thought it was closed from the 106 and up to the mouth, but it was the 101 to 106. Found huge schools of fish sitting in the non fishing zone though. Also ran into the most rude game warden of all time. I turned off the highway down a "Primitive Road No Warning Signs" road and saw a game warden vehicle. So i figured I go find him and ask him what is open and see if he can guide me in the right direction since I wasn't from around and never been to the area. Well found him in the bushes with binocs and when I asked him what exactly is open on the river he stated that I was tresspassing and asked how I got there. I politely said I turned on a primitave road off the highway and he kept stating I could be arrested for trespassing. and when I asked where is the best place to fish legally he told me the mouth of the purdy creek but it wasn't open..."HUH??". and he continued to lecture me that I was trespassing and finally said he will give me a warning but he is putting me in the books as "don't warn again..TICKET". So if you plan on fishing the Skok, do not stand on the west side of the river. Totally off limits. And the wardens are in the bushes so be smart.

and I only saw 7 fish all day 5 of which were jacks. And the tuesday I caught about 100 pinks, and went 2 for 5 on kings, the 3 being one belly hooked and the other 2 way to big for my 15 lb line with acrobats. Moral to story, I'll be sticking to my Cowlitz river and Puyallup and far from Skok. Good luck, and tight lines.