newbie wants to learn from the experts

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dtmtk
Angler

newbie wants to learn from the experts

Post by dtmtk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:38 pm

I am new to salmon fishing in the river and would like to learn from all of the experts out there if possible. I plan to launch the boat at Rotary Park (Snohomish river) this coming sunday Oct 7. What kind of salmon are in the river at this time, what should I use to catch them and what part of the Snohomish river I should go to try my luck? Thanks in advance for sharing.

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:newbie wants to learn from the experts

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Silvers, definately try your luck, I will either drift eg clusters for silvers or will fish with pink spinners.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 pm

Silvers on the snoho are hitting Dick Nites best at the moment. The fish that are in there right now are pretty lock jawed like last year. I would deffinatly focus my attention on working a Dick Nite rather than eggs, the eggs will work though if fished properly, just not quite as well as a 50/50 Dick Nite.

There are still a lot of dark humpies to work through to get at the silvers, but there are some good sized hooknose to be had.

dtmtk
Angler

Post by dtmtk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks for replying. Where in the Snohomish river should I go?

LM
Petty Officer

Post by LM » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:09 pm

mallard83 wrote:Silvers on the snoho are hitting Dick Nites best at the moment. The fish that are in there right now are pretty lock jawed like last year. I would deffinatly focus my attention on working a Dick Nite rather than eggs, the eggs will work though if fished properly, just not quite as well as a 50/50 Dick Nite.

There are still a lot of dark humpies to work through to get at the silvers, but there are some good sized hooknose to be had.
wat color of dick nite spoons?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:49 pm

dtmtk wrote:Thanks for replying. Where in the Snohomish river should I go?
Are you going from shore or from a boat?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 pm

LM wrote:
mallard83 wrote:Silvers on the snoho are hitting Dick Nites best at the moment. The fish that are in there right now are pretty lock jawed like last year. I would deffinatly focus my attention on working a Dick Nite rather than eggs, the eggs will work though if fished properly, just not quite as well as a 50/50 Dick Nite.

wat color of dick nite spoons?
The best color by far is the 50/50 which is half chrome and half gold. Use the Wee size and the next size up. The Wee seems to work better for the silvers and the next size up for humpies. This may sound a little backwards using the smaller sized lure for the bigger fish, but as long as the river is not real dirty The Wee will catch you more silvers.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:20 pm

I will tell you everything you need to know about river fishing for salmon....... pay attention to Mallard and Sam, they are the men when it comes to river fishing. They can take credit for more than 1/2 the salmon I caught this year. Thanks again fellas.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14 pm

Just to keep any of us from repeating what was said before or what has been previously asked, go through a bunch of the threads in this river fishing section. Sometimes information not relative to the actual topic of the thread is passed as the thread get's sidetracked and/or someone asks a different question. If you still have questions for us, don't hold back by any means..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

dtmtk
Angler

Post by dtmtk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Yes, gpc. I've been noticing that Sam and Mallard have been sharing a lot of tips/tricks in this forum and I really appreciate the info.

BTW, mallard..I will be fishing from the boat.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:49 pm

dtmtk wrote:Yes, gpc. I've been noticing that Sam and Mallard have been sharing a lot of tips/tricks in this forum and I really appreciate the info.

BTW, mallard..I will be fishing from the boat.
If you are in a boat that has a prop motor on it then your options are a bit more limited, but not completely compared to a jet. If you are launching in the town of Snohomish than you can go down river as far as you want with the prop and as far up river as just below Crab Bar and Thomas's Eddy if the tide is high. If in a jet you can go pretty much however far upriver that you want.

The better fishing for silvers is from Snohomish upriver. A great hole for silvers is if you go upriver to the first island (where river splits) and hang to the right (west) in the main channel and fish just below the second set of pilings that are in the middle of the river (where the river makes a slight left).

There are lots of other good holes, but it would take me for ever to explain where they are because I am a very slow typer. A good rule of thumb for silvers is to look for them jumping. If they are not jumping than they are most likely not there or are not interested in what anyone has to offer. Also look for wood structure/trees or stumps in the water, silvers love these snaggy sections and will use them to their advatage when hooked. You may loose a bit more gear in these sections but sometimes you have to loose a little in order to gain a little.
I will usually toss on a lure that I don't care to much about loosing at first in order to find where the snags are in the hole then I will switch to my Dick Nite setup or whatever else I intend to fish with.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.