RAIN!!!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
scott080379
Commodore

RAIN!!!!

Post by scott080379 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:53 am

This rain needs to last all day long. If it does this will be the first real rain we had since the season started.

Bring on the fish.

G-Man
Admiral

RE:RAIN!!!!

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 am

Rain? What rain? It is presently bone dry in the Newcastle area. It sure would be nice to fill up the rivers a bit and get this years fall run under way. That and the wife is chomping at the bit for some shrooms.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:16 am

G-Man wrote:Rain? What rain? It is presently bone dry in the Newcastle area. It sure would be nice to fill up the rivers a bit and get this years fall run under way. That and the wife is chomping at the bit for some shrooms.
I was raing pretty good at 4am this morning in Bremerton. Left the house at 515am and no rain #-o

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:21 am

Just took a look at the extended forcast.....RAIN tonight and nothing for the next 5 to 7 days. Fish are going to start pushing into rivers no matter if there is rain or not. They will find a deep hole and hold there. The mouths most of the rivers in WA and plenty deep for them to move into and they will. The rain will just help push them in a little faster. I like the rain for fishing the rivers because it is only the die hards that are out in it. most of the snaggers stay home.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:01 am

Rain just started coming down here. I'm with you on the concept that the rain keeps the yahoos off the rivers and lakes. Time to bust out the rain gear and reseal the seams on the boat's canopy.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 am

SHROOMS ???.....are there mycologists here????

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:42 am

Grey Dog,

The site members have made a few posts regarding mushrooms over the years. The wife and I mainly collect chantrelles and boletes in the Fall and we look for morels in the Spring. Last Fall we stumbled upon a great cache of lobster mushrooms and are stoked to harvest some more this year. We typically end up drying about 20lbs of shrooms every season.

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:12 am

No psilocybins?
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

durbimac000
Angler

Post by durbimac000 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:19 am

Been raining in the Bonney Lake/Sumner/Puyallup area all morning, Looks to me like it could last all day. I've miss this weather. (:

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 am

Nice and wet and cold here in Federal Way! Should be good amounts of rain hitting the Puy and Green watersheds in the foothills.:cheers:
Mmm, mushrooms. Found a nice batch of morelles several years back off highway 2 a little bit off the Wentachee river. Haven't been able to get back out but it was in June.
Hoping to get that first salmon of the season this week/weekend. Probably gonna be combat fishing everywhere though with the holiday...
I'm too old for the psilocybins.:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

I was never into mind altering chemicals of any type, so I've never looked for those "special" shrooms. It has been coming down pretty steady and heavy in Redmond. I'll be checking out the slough regularly to see if the kings are making their way into Sammamish.

jaredpost
Angler

Post by jaredpost » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:22 pm

It was raining plenty good out on lake tapps this morning. Went out about 7 and came in around 11. We were soaked to the bone but landed 6 bass so we were ok with rain.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:58 pm

It's been raining here in Eastgate (Bellevue). But not enough to make a big difference (IMO). So tempted to call in sick tomorrow... so tempted...
urbanangler wrote:No psilocybins?
My best friend in High School OD-ed on them in my bedroom, he lived, but wasn't the same afterward. Never tried em, never will..
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

nickbell
Commander

Post by nickbell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:37 pm

Just stoped raining here in tacoma. There are still some very dark clouds above, windy too. The rain should start up again.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:41 pm

You can't think of the rain just in that one area. All these rivers collect rain water from all over. What you think isn't much at your house, think of that from the entire water shed perspective.

It has rained a lot here in Bremerton (no river) but I know the the olympics and the water shed that feeds the skok are getting lots of rain. The skok though will flood if someone pisses in it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:08 pm

I look forward to seeing the chum literally swimming around in the streets of Shelton and the surrounding area. Check out this post: Skok Flooding

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:27 pm

yeah that is a cool sight I got to see it in person years ago

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:26 pm

G-Man wrote:Grey Dog,

The site members have made a few posts regarding mushrooms over the years. The wife and I mainly collect chantrelles and boletes in the Fall and we look for morels in the Spring. Last Fall we stumbled upon a great cache of lobster mushrooms and are stoked to harvest some more this year. We typically end up drying about 20lbs of shrooms every season.
yea im not want'n no sillycybins...not real thrilled with the mind the way it is but not sure i'd want to alter it either...
anyways....i've picked chantrelles for years but would like to find someone that realllllly knows what they are do'n out there to help me with ID of other kinds....oyster,hen of the woods(saw 1 must of been 6 or 8 lbs my uncle found years ago)ect....i know shroom pickers are even worse than fisherman about not give'n up "their spots" but a educational field trip or 2 would be great..

G ? ever dry 'em in your smoker (no chips) ?
gives 'em just a hint of smoke...
...DOG

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm pretty good with the IDs. I've collected and have eaten a lot of different mushrooms in my time, the wife however, prefers to stick with the standards. I'll mix in a few every so often when she isn't looking, found some great hedgehogs a couple of years ago and no one was the wiser! I dry them using a food dehydrator or outdoors on a screen if the sun is cooperative. Never tried them in the smoker though, may put in a few this year. You are correct with the gerneralization of mushroom hunters not giving up their spots. If I'm generous I'll give you the county I get them from.