NASTY GREEN COW PUKE Update?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flinginpooh
Captain

RE:NASTY GREEN COW PUKE Update?

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 pm

HUGE TREBEL hooks ok until the 16th. Ok Im taking the pier pole down 2 oz and a grappling trebel hook with barbs. SHHHH Im gonna do it at night and reel and jerk until Im snagging the heck out of them. No less then 50lb braid cause there gonna be hard to bring in sideways. BUT then Ill wake up and say man that was a horrible nightmare. But I will not make my hooks barbless until the 16th for there.
More fish please!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:24 am

flinginpooh wrote:HUGE TREBEL hooks ok until the 16th. Ok Im taking the pier pole down 2 oz and a grappling trebel hook with barbs. SHHHH Im gonna do it at night and reel and jerk until Im snagging the heck out of them. No less then 50lb braid cause there gonna be hard to bring in sideways. BUT then Ill wake up and say man that was a horrible nightmare. But I will not make my hooks barbless until the 16th for there.
last year a pink came unbuttoned on me and my lead corkie and hook came right at me, hook went pretty deep into my forearm. If it was barbed I would have to cut line to get the hook out and we all know how priceless our fishing time is. Would have lost a good ten minutes. That's enough time to get four pinks lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 am

I was on the puke for 3 hours yesterday and didn't see anything, hear about anything, or even smell the dude next to me. The fish aren't in yet.

Anyone experience something different?
Lee

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:13 am

bionic_one wrote:I was on the puke for 3 hours yesterday and didn't see anything, hear about anything, or even smell the dude next to me. The fish aren't in yet.

I was out there yesterday bright and early fishing with 60+ guys and experienced the same thing, First time on the Puke and figured out why it's called the Puke. How do fish see anything in the water?

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 am

Nisqually is still getting there. A buddy banged a 20lb buck fishing out of a sled, bankies still having a tough go at it.
"One more......."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 am

kzoo wrote:
bionic_one wrote:I was on the puke for 3 hours yesterday and didn't see anything, hear about anything, or even smell the dude next to me. The fish aren't in yet.

I was out there yesterday bright and early fishing with 60+ guys and experienced the same thing, First time on the Puke and figured out why it's called the Puke. How do fish see anything in the water?
They don't see it until it's 6" in front of their face. Puyallup is a flossing river to be honest. But as long as they are hooked in the head, it's legal. Some rivers have special rules that say "in the mouth" but the puke isn't one of them.
Lee

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Nasty is starting to show some fish but not much biting going on. Did see one angler catch a 25+ king, nice chrome. That was just a huge fish. I started fishing next to him and had fish on then fish off, just like that. I must of not set the hook hard enough, watching the other guy, he was setting the hook hard. And after seeing that fish, I know why, it was HUGE!

I also fished with Todd earlier and he had fish on, but then came off as I was getting ready to net him. Mike was there but he left after about an 1hr with no action.

I'm wondering if it is worth fishing during the gillnetting? Anyone else with any luck?

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 pm

kinghunter wrote:Nasty is starting to show some fish but not much biting going on. Did see one angler catch a 25+ king, nice chrome. That was just a huge fish. I started fishing next to him and had fish on then fish off, just like that. I must of not set the hook hard enough, watching the other guy, he was setting the hook hard. And after seeing that fish, I know why, it was HUGE!

I also fished with Todd earlier and he had fish on, but then came off as I was getting ready to net him. Mike was there but he left after about an 1hr with no action.

I'm wondering if it is worth fishing during the gillnetting? Anyone else with any luck?
I told you! Glad you are back at it!! Water is a lot lower than last year. Not only is netting an obstacle, but so are the swimmers! and guys doing cannonballs off the Mounts Bridge.
"One more......."

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:19 pm

I have been fishing the green quite a bit. I have seen one steelhead roll lost possibly one small steelhead (around 20") and caught a big SRC. my friend caught one about 17" but that was probably a smolt. I stopped by the soos creek hatchery and they have got 20 summer run back and 1 king so far. i think we need some rain to bring them up...

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:18 am

Wow,

Can't believe how slow the NASTY is. We had egg floater and bunch of drifters and only 1 fish caught and landed. It looked like a boot king. You can see fish flopping and jumping and having a good old time. What gives. I've heard the PUKE isn't much better. I remember last year around this time when we were slaying those Kings, must not be thick this year.

Anyway another note - I was fishing near someone's private property area and this girl comes and ask me politely to move, so I did. Next visit I had my waders on and waded in their property line, that is legal right? I remember reading about the handicap area where you can wade in and go past the private property to fish as long as you are in the river? Am I correct on this?

It looks like I'm going to have to wait for the Cow coho and kings. Unless anyone has heard something new.

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:27 am

I forgot to mentioned the only guy that caught and landed the fish was screaming from the top of his lung and screaming it's in the mouth, yes he was using a corky/yarn. He was fishing the FL side. I'm going to need to get a pass to fish on that side.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Nasty Green Puke has been just that accdng to reports. I did a recon on Green Aug 15 and water was way low (on that hot weekend). People were everywhere around 3 bridges, floating on tubes, sitting in lawn chairs, wading, all in the water. Unfortunately leaving a big mess too. I took a couple pics to hopefully avoid snags here and there this fall when it opens for salmon later and read water a bit better. BS, that little drift is gonna be hard to wade to if the river is up much. Seems like just fishing from opposite side might work better? The main flow of river is between you and the drift so gonna have to wade thru main channel. I tried getting down to river from other side and got stung by stinging nettles wearing shorts ($%^#!!!) so gave up. Was at least good to get enough time ot run down there and take a couple quick photos of some drifts.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 am

Fished the NASTY again with Todd. He had 4 on and landed 2. I had 1 on and 0 landed. It is starting to pick up but nothing like last year. Tere are fish in there but just not in great numbers. I think once we get rain they might start pushing up, lets hope so. My wife is starting to suspect if I'm really fishing since normally I bring home a fish or two when I get out. I tried to tell her its not easy competing with the seals.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:12 pm

"My wife is starting to suspect if I'm really fishing since normally I bring home a fish or two when I get out."

Amen brother. My fishing time directly correlates with how many fish come home so gotta get that first couple trips to be successful and it makes it a little easier to get out again. Tried buying a fish at the store once before but she checked the wallet and caught ME! %$#@! Problem with the Mrs is she's as happy with me bringing home a bunch of perch as a limit of bright salmon. I like perch, but I love smoked salmon. Oh well. Thanx for the updates.

PS- was the guy screaming his lungs out on the river islandbass LOL? I can envision him doing that based on some of his past posts:)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

pumpkin
Petty Officer

Post by pumpkin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Hey so I have never fished the Puyallup before and have never been to the river before but i really want to try and catch some Kings and Silvers. Can anyone recommend where are some places that i can bank fish?
thanks

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:19 pm

pumpkin, I don't know if silvers are up high enough yet but I used to fish the confluence of the Carbon and Puyallup on the Puy river side. This was many years ago mainly. There's a nice gravel bar there when the water is fairly low (I assume it is that way now but haven't been out).
One prob is if there's a bunch of people though. They tend to wade out and makes it hard to get a drift if from shore. There are several places in that general area where hopefully you can find room to work from shore including Crabon river side.

The lower river is probably good for bank fishing too or even plunking :) I'm sure there are several here more knowledgeable of the river, hopefully they will chime in. Good luck.

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Fished the PUKE yesterday for about 3 hrs in the rain. There were about 15 people out there and did not see anyone take a fish home. I did see 1 guy had one on for 1 second just long enough to say " FISH ON " then off. Probably got him on the belly. Did see a few fish roll by but nothing to get too excited about. There was one fish that was going crazy, apparently had someone's hook in the mouth with line and was just zipping everywhere. There are alot of places to fish on the bank on the PUKE, off of RIVER Rd and LEVEE Rd, you just have to explore around. I don't know which area has more fish since nobody is really catching much. Maybe wait few more weeks. I dunno that's when people will tell me " you should of been here last week". That would be my luck. You might have more luck at the NASTY on Thurday once the indian net is out. There are fish there but try to get them to bite, GOOD LUCK!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Has anyone been fishing the GREEN?

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:02 pm

kinghunter wrote:Wow,

Can't believe how slow the NASTY is. We had egg floater and bunch of drifters and only 1 fish caught and landed. It looked like a boot king. You can see fish flopping and jumping and having a good old time. What gives. I've heard the PUKE isn't much better. I remember last year around this time when we were slaying those Kings, must not be thick this year.

Anyway another note - I was fishing near someone's private property area and this girl comes and ask me politely to move, so I did. Next visit I had my waders on and waded in their property line, that is legal right? I remember reading about the handicap area where you can wade in and go past the private property to fish as long as you are in the river? Am I correct on this?

It looks like I'm going to have to wait for the Cow coho and kings. Unless anyone has heard something new.
Which property where you fishing at? You should have flossed that girl in her eye sack. :salut: I got some good intel on some good spots on that river now, you should pick up your phone and call a buddy. I miss you. [love] [flapper] [love] [drool]
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 pm

KH, Trent says hello and wants you to come fish with us. New spot on the NASTY!! He caught this last Saturday- drifting eggs under a bobber. Bobber Down!! :cheers:
Attachments
august_28th_2010_notellum_river.jpg
august_28th_2010_notellum_river.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."