SteelHead, Lower Granite Lock and Dam

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Proverb
Warrant Officer

SteelHead, Lower Granite Lock and Dam

Post by Proverb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:22 am

The season starts soon and I hear they pass through the Lower Granite Lock and Dam on the snake river. Could you guys link me to some good articles that teach how to fish for them or offer your own advise? I have never fished for them before and I'd like to try it out.

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

RE:SteelHead, Lower Granite Lock and Dam

Post by Basshunter046 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:57 am

Hi there Proverb, yes the steelhead are on there way and I'll be on my way to confluence of the snake and clearwater starting after the Labor Day weekend. Looks like a pretty good run by looking at the Bonneville fish counts. I'd say about 65% anchor and stillfish with slip bobbers with jigs and sand shrimp or just sand shrimp alone and the other 35% troll hot shot plugs or wiggle warts. I just bobber fish myself with my boys. Last year we came away with 8 total hatchery fish with the biggest being 14 lbs. We also caught 3 wild fish that had to be released. I think lots of the guys that do it everyyear have there little secret styles and flavored shrimp cause these guys do really good. Everyyear I get a little more hints and secerts from these guys and seem to do better. Will you be fishing out of a boat or off the bank? I just use my 12 jon boat. If you got any more questions don't hesitate to PM. :bounce:

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:54 pm

I'm a shorefisher (poor college student heh) so any advise targeting shore fishing would be great. Thanks for what you've offered so far.

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 pm

There is one spot at the a sawmill log yard (stimson or potlatch) where people park and fish off the dike right at the mouth of the Clearwater, but you'll need an Idaho licence. I would emagine that if you stay on the road toward Washington there would be spots where you can fish off the side of the road in turn outs. What about around lower granite dam. Any spots there? I'd still stay with the idea of jigs, schimp, and bobbers. Fish anywhere from 8 to 12 feet deep to 3 feet off the bottom. good luck.

Proverb
Warrant Officer

Post by Proverb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:48 pm

I know there are spots where people fish for catfish and bass I can go down to the Boyer park Marina and ask them if they know any good shore spots. :)

Does Idaho offer a veteran discount like Washington?

Edit: I forgot to ask what lbs line do you use?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbaker
Petty Officer

Post by dbaker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:17 am

Proverb, you can use 10 or 12 lb test. Make sure that spool is full. Steelies like to go on runs.

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:25 am

For a non-resident I'm not sure on the veteran discount, there is a resident military furlough license for 17.50 if that helps???? I go with 14lb XT trilene line with camelion 12lb florocarbon leader. I keep trying different things all the time. Jigs alone, Jigs and Shrimp, shrimp alone. Gotta make sure to use dyed shrimp,,, Red, Orange, Purple are all colors I use. Usually on the Jigs I use mainly Black 3/8 oz. but will change up at times with other colors and size.