Greyling?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishaholictaz
Admiral

Greyling?

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Any body got any good patterns or information on how to fish these? I found a reservoir that holds some nice bows, brookies and greyling. I have never targeted the greyling so any info would be great!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

curado
Admiral

RE:Greyling?

Post by curado » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:17 pm

egg bead patterns
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:56 am

When I lived in AK I fished for them and bows quite a bit, really fun to catch. They would bite on just about any bug you put in front fo them, in AK. Really pretty fish, not much to eat but not bad either.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 am

Try a "parachute adams" Any small fly will work....they bite on most anything.....They have a small tender mouth so pick smaller flies. They will bite on anything that a rainbow will hit....Never known grayling to be fished exclusively in lakes and rivers. You will get them in a mixed bag of rainbows, brooks and grayling. Ask around when you get towards your lake or river at fly shops or sporting goods stores. They will help you out I'm sure. Good luck, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:18 pm

When I was in Montana recently, Myself and my Dad hiked into a alpine lake containing only Greyling. They really aren't very smart fish. I used a variety of small (#14-#18) dries, the Tan Elk Hair Caddis seemed to work the best, but I turned fish on all my flies. In the space of 3 hours I caught 14, my Dad catching 10. We sight fished and blind casted to them. There fun (and oddly slippery) fish to catch. Don't expect large sizes. Mine were between 10" and 14".
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the help guys :cheers: I can't wait to add a new species to my list... It has been a long time:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”