Chasing Browns in Westside Stillwater

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Chasing Browns in Westside Stillwater

Post by Ian Horning » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:33 am

Hello all,

Lately my interest has been piqued in finding lakes that hold the mighty brown trout. Generally speaking, the West side of the cascades isn't the type of place these fish usually hang out. I know of pass lake and a couple of others that are listed as stocked with browns.

I am infatuated with big, aggressive trout. While big fish still sip bugs, I am interested in those willing to chase down streamers resembling baitfish. Something about the technical, hands on stripping and re-casting and feeling the tug gets me going more than really any type of fishing I know. Maybe it's my gear fishing roots, namely those spent hucking hardware at bass, that creates this sense of enjoyment. Whatever the causation may be, I am consumed by this type of fishing.

I am looking especially for shallow water gems with shiner, perch, or other forage fish and trout to pursue. Browns fit this bill more than most, but I wouldn't hesitate to chase rainbows as well.

I am planning on strictly catch-and-release fishing. I know pass lake is already delegated with this rule, which is really cool in my opinion. I also have a 9ft pontoon at my disposal.

If y'all would be so kind to provide tips for chasing these fish, I'd love to learn a thing or two from more experienced fly guys and gals.

Tight, unbroken lines,

Ian
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Chasing Browns in Westside Stillwater

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Where are you located Ian? Or better yet, what is the general radius you want to travel?

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Im located in Everett, somewhere as far as pass lake in a radius is probably my max. Im planning on going out in march when steelheading is done and bass haven't warmed up quite yet. I'd drive an hour to an hour and a half maybe.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Hey Ian, Lake Martha in Snoho county, up the street from Goodwin has them. Float tube or rowing I think. It's not fly but pretty sure it's selective gear, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. If you feel like giving them a try in either location, shoot me a PM, I'm game most days when not working. I've tried like crazy to get them to bite streamers in Pass, at first light they're right up against the shore, very easy to spot and there are some really big ones. I don't know about bait fish in Lake Martha but theirs always the SanJuan worm or a rubber worm tied on a fly hook......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks for the advice y'all. I'm aware of the browns in Martha too. Didn't know about Green Lake. On our westside I'll stick to Pass probably as far as browns are concerned, it sounds like an awesome lake to try some streamer fishing. If I can't get them to bite baitfish, I'll try using some leeches in various sizes and colors. Chironomids are cool and all, but I prefer strip retrieving more than just slappin' an indicator on the surface.

Tight, Unbroken lines!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Don't pass up the Bow's in Pass lake. They're nothing to turn your nose up at. So far PB in Pass Lake is a 21"+ Bow.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:55 pm

While up at Pass lk you might want to run down to Cranberry.. Great fishing there as well

Valdez44
Angler

Post by Valdez44 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 am

Have any of you recently fished Green Lake In North Seattle?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 am

Valdez44 wrote:Have any of you recently fished Green Lake In North Seattle?
No but planning to in a couple weeks. It's about the time of year....

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Try Martha Lake in Warm Beach, cruising the shallows and casting right up into the shore with muddlers and brown woolly buggers, then stripping them back to you. I received that tip from a fly fisherman while I was at the lake last year.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”