Dreaming of PNW Trout

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
LargemouthSD
Angler

Dreaming of PNW Trout

Post by LargemouthSD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 am

Hey fellas my name is James I'm from San Diego I am a hard-core bass fisherman also Love fly fishing for trout in the Eastern Sierras. I have no problem catching lots of trout up there in the streams and rivers, & hike-in Lakes where you can go up with a dry fly and catch 30 to 50 trout a day.

I'm currently on vacation in the upper Preston/fall city area. So far I have fished the three Forks Park area, upper north fork and middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River the results have been dismal. I have also driven up the 90 and fished in some small creeks up there managed to get a few trout but nothing over 6 inches.

I'm hoping somebody wouldn't mind shooting me a PM with some locations streams rivers or lakes that would be great for trout fishing I practice strict CPR (catch photo release) I pinch all my bars regardless of where I'm fishing. I have wading boots and my float tube so access will not be a problem. I'm happy to drive down a long dirt road or put some miles on the boots if it means getting into some good trout water.

Any reports I will make will not have locations divulged or photos that may help the trolls.lol
I will only enter photos of trout caught and gear used.

Also anyone that may be traveling to the Southern California area that may need some tips on the bass fishing scene I am more than happy to help out with tips and locations, gear etc...

I truly appreciate any help that May get sent to me in a private message!

Thanks in advance and tight lines to all!!

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Dreaming of PNW Trout

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Unfortunately, this is a very down year with respect to summer trout fishing. We are experiencing historically low flows which has lead the State to restrict fishing times and close some fisheries all together. Even though some of my favorite rivers/streams are still open, I have opted not to pursue these fish in an effort to protect the runs for future seasons.

My suggestion would be to change your game plan and seek out our feisty sea-run cutthroat trout along the shores of Puget Sound. If you search our forums, you'll find quite a bit of information on where, what times, and which flies/lures to use.

The bonus is that the salmon are making their run at this time and it isn't uncommon to hookup with one while chasing these trout.

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:51 pm

The upper Yakima is still producing fish and of good size. I floated it two weeks ago, putting in at the mouth of the Teanaway, and caught two beautiful fish. The water was much cooler in the upper half of our float, going up close to ten degrees over the course of the day. The water was low, but very safe and floatable. If I were to do it again I would focus on that upper portion where the fish are having an easier time of it temperature-wise.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LargemouthSD
Angler

Post by LargemouthSD » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks for chimming in fellas I appreciate all the tips!
I did fish the Yakima River near Ele Clum.
Bought and tried a tan, and grey hopper for nodda. Got 1- 6" bow on EHC
bought a discovery pass and that has allowed me to gain access to beautiful mountain bike and river locations. If you don't already have it, get it [cool]

Highlights- Got to see a beaver swimming in the river slapping its tail on the surface, don't get to see those in San Diego. Also was doing some bushwhacking and came within 15 yards of an Elk, definitely don't have those in San Diego. The river is beautiful scenery was great! Fishing for me was slow. I spoke to one other fly angler who had similar results. We could see larger models, but nothing wanting to take due to the warm water according to the guys at Trout Water fly shop.

Realizing now I should have just gone after the salmon. I thought the trout fishing would've been a little more rewarding .

My time in Washington Is running out. Still have one trip planned to either Annette lake or Snow lake.

Hopefully Oregon will treat me better with some smallies and trout, lol

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”