trolling for bass with a fly

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

trolling for bass with a fly

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:41 am

does this work? i have caught a few dinks over the years using a leach/wolley bugger pattern but no fish worth writing home about. I was thinking about tying a longer wolley bugger but i am not sure that will do the trick. Any suggestions?
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: trolling for bass with a fly

Post by Larry3215 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:06 am

The words "trolling" and "fly" are two words I normally don't associate with bass fishing. I have occasionally caught a small bass while trolling for other species, but it's by far the exception to the rule. I dont think Ive ever heard of anyone trying it on purpose either.

I doubt it will be very effective, but it is fishing, so anything is possible :)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri May 15, 2015 10:43 am

Sure it works. If you are trolling where there are bass, and they want it, they'll grab it, fly, nymph, worm, anything.

Yes, you can catch bass on a fly while doing normal fly fishing by fly casting. Been there, done that, for years.
Tom.

Interests: living

Ball_Gawd
Petty Officer

Post by Ball_Gawd » Mon May 18, 2015 11:29 am

Coincidentally, we accidentally caught an 8" small mouth on Wildcat Lake (Kitsap County) on Saturday trolling an orange Mack's Smiley Blade fly (basically a wooly bugger).
WET HOOKS & TIGHT LINES
Ball_Gawd

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Tue May 19, 2015 6:01 am

it is possible. don't let anyone say it's not. fish will take what they are enticed to take. or, in my case, two weeks ago, give me the middle finger.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 pm

We all agree that it can work and we have all occasionally caught bass while trolling - even with flies.

But is trolling, with or without flies, your go-to method to catch bass? Is it more likely to work than the traditional methods or less likely? Sure it can work, but in my experience its far less likely to net you a bass than other, more traditional, methods.

Its your fishing time to spend in any way you please, so dont let me talk you out of trying it. Just dont be too surprised if it isnt spectacularly effective at catching bass.

Fortunately, most any lake that has bass in it around here will also have trout of some kind and they happen to love trolled flies, so you are likely to catch something :)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 29, 2015 9:56 am

Any big top water or popper is very effective for bass. Any streamer on the sink and strip, put one in their hunting zone and bang! I would think you'd be more likely to hit one with a cast and strip than trolling by. It's almost embarrassing but when I fist picked up the bug stick I would troll the little lakes from the tube with a wooly B. I caught more bass than trout, just by going past the lily pads. If you put it by them in a convenient place to eat and they will bite. Flys seem to be even more enticing than the wiggliest rubber offerings. The gear flingers just get to toss a lot more at them, the nature of the beast. A couple guys from the Midwest and South in our fly club fish for bass all the time, normally out fish the gear boys in the 100K speed boats. Fish where they is and give them something yummy to bite. remember, crush your barb.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”