Fly Fishing the Salt - Searun Cutts

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Fly Fishing the Salt - Searun Cutts

Post by AJFishdude » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Hey everyone, I have a few questions on fly fishing the salt for SRCs. So, from what I gather you can find these guys out in the salt, right close to the shore, basically year round. However, I also hear that for those of us up here in the north end of the sound the Cutts tend to have a bit more of a "run" than those in the south end. From talking with guys at local shops and doing reading, it sounds like they really start to key in on outmigrating smolts this time of year, particularly Chums.

I have only been out after them once in the salt so far this year (no signs of fish), however, that was back in February and I figured I was a bit on the early side. So, my question is simple, I'm going to list out my assumptions and current knowledge, and I simply would like some input as to whether or not I am on the right track. I hope to find one of these beauties at the end of my line soon!

Plan of attack:
-9' 5wt rod with floating line
-Chum Baby streamers (or other smolt imitations) - quite fast and aggressive stripping
-Woolly Buggers (Olive, Black, White?)
-Scuds for shrimp imitation (Olive, Pink?) - slower stripping
-Fishing rocky beaches or over oyster beds (I hear those are really good for whatever reason), but staying away from sand beaches.
-Fishing beaches with a creek flowing into the sound.
-Places such as Picnic Point, Ala Spit (would really love some more north sound suggestions)
-Fishing the middle of the tide (ie, at the strongest flows), particularly incoming and near dawn and dusk
-Months of March - May in particular

I think that's it. Looking forward to any input you might have!

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Fly Fishing the Salt - Searun Cutts

Post by G-Man » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Sculpin imitations like muddler minnows are a staple, especially if you are fishing before the smolts have hit the salt.
Early morning incoming tide is by far the best time to fish for them.
Points are always good but not necessary.
Don't feel you have to fish deep water, these guys are cruising the flats for chow.
On the retrieve, keep your offering in the water as long as possible. They will strike lures right next to your foot and in just inches of water.
Don't go ultra light on your tippet. There are some bruisers out there and you'll eventually hook into a salmon if you keep at it long enough.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:25 am

G-Man wrote:Sculpin imitations like muddler minnows are a staple, especially if you are fishing before the smolts have hit the salt.
Early morning incoming tide is by far the best time to fish for them.
Points are always good but not necessary.
Don't feel you have to fish deep water, these guys are cruising the flats for chow.
On the retrieve, keep your offering in the water as long as possible. They will strike lures right next to your foot and in just inches of water.
Don't go ultra light on your tippet. There are some bruisers out there and you'll eventually hook into a salmon if you keep at it long enough.
G Man is spot on. I am usually on the shore casting or at least knee deep and they can feed very close to shore. work the water!

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Great, thanks for the info. Is there any particular time of year that you find to be the best?

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:43 am

AJFishdude wrote:Great, thanks for the info. Is there any particular time of year that you find to be the best?
From my understanding, any time of the year. I haven't been fishing for SRC for more than 4 months so can't tell you from experience.
here are some great reads that help me...

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/for ... out.77179/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://west-fly-fishing.com/feature-art ... e_1015.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[thumbup]

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks sealegs! Ironically enough, I believe I had already read both of those pages before you posted them, good to know that they helped you though.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:44 pm

I'm going to say any little fishy pattern. The most important is if your waders are wet, you're way to close to the water. They're going to be in the first 10 feet off shore. The best time to hit them is right at dusk or at sun up. As soon as it's light they're gone for the day. They're a common sight off the beach on the North end of Camano all it takes to spot them is a cold drink in one hand and a good cigar in the other. They roll up the beach, real cruisers.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Bodofish wrote:The most important is if your waders are wet, you're way to close to the water. They're going to be in the first 10 feet off shore. The best time to hit them is right at dusk or at sun up. As soon as it's light they're gone for the day.
Man, they really do come in close then. Thanks Bodo, good information!

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Post by AJFishdude » Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 pm

As it seems to go with my fishing, I have so many different types that I like to do, and so little time, that methods I am not as familiar with or not as good at tend to get pushed to the bottom of my "where to go this weekend list." That being said, I managed to catch my first SRC last week out at Picnic Point fishing an incoming evening tide. A chunky and very healthy fish that took a little olive/white/pink yarn minnow streamer (about 1" long) on a moderate strip length/speed in about a foot and a half of water. Made my evening!

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:25 pm

haven't targeted them in years, since they were allowed to be kept. muddlers and any other minnow imitator are what we used off the beach. trolled small spoons and spinners too. hildebrant spinner with herring fillet was top lure.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:10 am

AJFishdude wrote:As it seems to go with my fishing, I have so many different types that I like to do, and so little time, that methods I am not as familiar with or not as good at tend to get pushed to the bottom of my "where to go this weekend list." That being said, I managed to catch my first SRC last week out at Picnic Point fishing an incoming evening tide. A chunky and very healthy fish that took a little olive/white/pink yarn minnow streamer (about 1" long) on a moderate strip length/speed in about a foot and a half of water. Made my evening!
[thumbup] [thumbup] AJ.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”