setting the hook but never hooking, chironomid style

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

setting the hook but never hooking, chironomid style

Post by drysuperfly52 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 am

I was fishing Serene this weekend and slaying them with the wolley bugger so i thought i would try some chironomid fishing with a float, I bought the gear needed and have the basic concept down but this was my first time activily fishing this method. I ended up getting strikes/hits almost instantly, i tried everything i could to set the hook and always got nothing.

I was fishing with about 4 feet below the float, about 20' out in front of me. I dont know what size of hook i was using, it was a bigger one for sure. The only thing i can come up with is the hook was too big, but i was catching the planters on a wolley bugger 4X times bigger

any pointers would be great.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

G-Man
Admiral

Re: setting the hook but never hooking, chironomid style

Post by G-Man » Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 pm

Don't set the hook, just take up the slack and the hook should find its way into the corner of the fish's mouth. You want the fish moving away from you when you do finally apply pressure. Same principle applies when using circle hooks and bait. Nymphs don't typically trigger a strike and run response from trout, setting the hook will just pull it out of their mouths.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Times two. Even dry fly fishing has this same problem, got to wait for the fish to turn or until you feel the weight.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 am

thanks guys, hopefully tonight i can try again and slow it down a little.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”