Fly Fishing, alpine lakes/wild cutts and rainbows

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

Fly Fishing, alpine lakes/wild cutts and rainbows

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:49 am

I am newer to the lake fly fishing game and dont have much experience with a fly rod. I am packing up my pontoon boat so i will be mobile. My plan is to troll wolley buggers along the shore line, that is about all i got. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Re: Fly Fishing, alpine lakes/wild cutts and rainbows

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07 am

I have fished the Greenwater chain of lakes near Chinook Pass and found dry flies to be deadly in the morning and evening. we would use size 14 and 16 Adams and Humpies and it did not matter if they were floating or under the surface. After the morning bite, we would throw spoons and spinners. Surface fish were all cutthroat, deeper were a mixture of cutts and brookies. I would think this to be an effective method in other alpine lakes also. 60-100 fish days not uncommon.

springcreekjunkie
Angler

Re: Fly Fishing, alpine lakes/wild cutts and rainbows

Post by springcreekjunkie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 pm

If you aren't going to use dries (gnats, Mosquitos, etc) then you might want to try casting your leech towards shore using a sink-tip line. Buggers are good all around, but try some smaller soft hackle wet flies... You will probably like the results. This is a bit more precise than trolling and allows you to really work the shoreline structure and pick it apart. Good luck!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”