New to flyfishing

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jake_k
Warrant Officer

New to flyfishing

Post by jake_k » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi guys
I live in the Bellingham area and i am getting a 4 weight rod/reel combo this Christmas. Where should i fish this winter and what flies acquire for spring and winter flyfishing. Or where i could find a good fly shop to get advice from.

LittleTrib
Petty Officer

Re: New to flyfishing

Post by LittleTrib » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:39 pm

If you're ever in the Eastside, stop by Orvis in Bellevue or Creekside in Issaquah. Both are top-notch shops. Talk to Leland or Reggie at Orvis or Pete if you're in Issaquah. They'll set you up and point you in the right direction.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:59 am

The boys at Cabela's in the fly shop are really good fishermen locally and will get you set up. I don't know many fly shops north of Everette though. With a 4 wt I assume you're going after small trout and panfish? I haven't been able to get on lakes in a while. When summer comes around, the alpine lakes will be really good. Wooly buggers pick up trout really well, swim them around. If you were on the river, I could help more, but a 4wt will be under gunned for most of your pursuits besides small stream cutthroat. The Nooksack will have those in it, but you may hook into a steelhead on accident which would probably spool you on such a light rod.

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:27 am

You have a new flyshop up by you in Bellingham. It opened a couple of months ago. I'm not sure of the name but it wouldn't take much of a search to find it.

It's the Confluence or something like that.

rappuhd
Petty Officer

Post by rappuhd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Ya the fly shop in Bellingham is a very good one. The guys in there are very helpful and will turn you on to places to fish.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Mt. Vernon has a fly shop. Small town, easy to find without the name. Would be on the way to Pass Lake, if your looking for a fly only lake.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”