Cedar River

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Cedar River

Post by FlyGirl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:33 am

So....I know there is a Cedar thread on here already. But it has been inactive for some time. I have gone out to the Cedar several times now, with just no luck!! A few nibbles here and there, but just no action. Basically between Maple Valley and Jones Road....Much farther into the Renton side I just feel it is too occupied. Anyone been having any luck out there? If so, do you feel like sharing what and where has been working?

kingfisher101
Warrant Officer

Re: Cedar River

Post by kingfisher101 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am

The river all in all has been having several projects. The fishing is alright for small trout but I believe in like 2015 or something like that they will be having sockeye salmon in the river which will be good.. But right now fishing hasn't been good at all.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am

I haven't fished the Ceder in MANY years, and I live just up the road. No Bass in it. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:01 pm

With the low water flows, excessive number of tubers and out migration of the smolts, many of the large fish that were in the main section of the river have made their way into the lake. Further, the remaining fish have become wiser after being stalked or caught and subsequently released. Stealth techniques and being able to identify pockets of holding water will get you some fish, you just have to get out there and find them. The main tip I have is fish early in the morning, I'm usually home by 8:00am after working over the Cedar. Come October the rains will swell the river and the larger trout will follow the sockeye, chinook and coho upstream to eat and spawn. Of course the river closes in September, but that is the price we must pay to protect the spawning grounds of over a quarter million fish.

FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Post by FlyGirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Well geez......I didn't want to hear any of that!!!! I guess I'll just keep trying, half the fun is just being out there. Actually, come to think of it, for me that's usually all the fun!

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Post by FinChaserNW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 pm

I used to live close to the Landsburg bridge and would fish it quite often. I found that early mornings and late evenings were best this time of year. You get much more forgiveness from the weary trout. I would often park at the bridge, walk as far as I felt like down the river trail and fish my way back upstream. Weekends are hard with tubers, dogs chasing sticks, kids throwing rocks, etc. It can be tough, but there are some beautiful fish in there. Get off the beaten path as much as you can. A friend and I have pulled some out over the years that really surprised us. Good luck.

colel311
Angler

Post by colel311 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 am

In my experience with the cedar, you have to hike at least a half mile away from any road. The spots that look good from the roads usually aren't. Last time I fished it, I had to hike a mile up river to get into any fish. Still worth it though! Oh and use small nymphs, size 16 or smaller.
Beware of water, because the sea is stronger than man.

FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Post by FlyGirl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks guys. As far is fishing by the roads, I avoid that when I can, I would really rather not listen to that!

A5ianDunEatRice
Angler

Post by A5ianDunEatRice » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 am

I have recently gotten into fly fishing and my dad told me that the cedar river was one of his favorite trout rivers. I'm not asking for anyone to give out their secret spots or anything....but if you could provide me with some locations on the cedar that have been good fishing that would be great.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Finally picked up a starter flyrod been fishing the green but gonna try the ceder soon. If I can just get efficient at casting ha.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 am

tnj8222 wrote:Finally picked up a starter flyrod been fishing the green but gonna try the ceder soon. If I can just get efficient at casting ha.
I hate to say join a local club and get some lessons but it's the most cost effective way to go. $45-$50 an hour for casting lessons is the going rate for certified casting instructors if you go to a shop. The other thing that really helped me was a getting a good rod, not a fast one but a good one. Most of the starters are kinda limp.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”